Books that everyone should read

Page 1 of 8 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Books that everyone should read

Books that everyone should read

What are the books that you think that someone must read? I've read a few of the classics, but I just want to know what you guys think is a book that is so good that if you had it your way everyone would read.

American Psycho is a must read, it is on a lot of books to read before you die lists. Glamorama is also good and it kind of stuck with me, with certain lines resonating in my skull but maybe that is just me.
    Wind-up Bird Chronicle also made me think about a few things. Great book if you can get through it.

Instead of suggesting my favorite author, which I do wayyyy too much LOL, I'm going to go with another favorite of mine.

Jane Eyre

It's an amazing story that everyone should read at least once.

Racheal
    Writing is life.

Writers' block doesn't exist. It's actually called work avoidance procrastination.
    -Jasper Fforde

I personally didn't like American Psycho or Wind-up Bird Chronicle. I think everyone should have some exposure to Nabokov; Lolita and Pale Fire are my favorites by him. Also any of T.C. Boyle's short story collections. Also Slaughter House V and Cat's Cradle by Kurt Vonnegut.

For those of you thinking about death.. read EVERYMAN by Philip Roth. It's a deceptively simple book, written by a master.
    My blog: Hidden Content

My favorite book is The Car by Gary Paulsen. I think everyone should read that. It's a REALLY good book!
    ~~Who are we kiddin'? We're all just makin' this up as we go along...~~

Follow me on Twitter: Hidden Content

Hmm, that's a hard one. I think everyone should read Clear and Present Danger by Tom Clancy at least once in their lifetime. I think it's his magnum opus. I've read it no fewer than ten times.
    Hidden Content

Hidden Content

"One morning I shot an elephant in my pyjamas. How he got into my pyjamas I'll never know." ~ Groucho Marx.

"It is better to be feared than loved, if one cannot be both". ~ Niccolo Machiavelli, The Prince.

"A wise man can learn more from a foolish question than a fool can learn from a wise answer". ~ Bruce Lee.

"In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities, but in the expert's mind there are few". ~ Shunryu Suzuki.

"Give a man a mask and he will show you his true face". ~ Oscar Wilde.

"He who learns but does not think is lost; he who thinks but does not learn is in great danger". ~ Confucius.

Lonesome Dove by Larry McMurtry, Odyssey by Homer, and The Demon Haunted World by Carl Sagan.
    Hidden Content : Oh but if I went 'round sayin' I was Emperor, just because some moistened bint lobbed a scimitar at me, they'd put me away.

Hidden Content

The Lord of the Rings.
    Greatest book ever writen.

Quote Originally Posted by karax268 View Post
    The Lord of the Rings.
    Greatest book ever writen.
    Says you. I don't think it's all its cracked up to be.

Sam.
    Hidden Content

Hidden Content

"One morning I shot an elephant in my pyjamas. How he got into my pyjamas I'll never know." ~ Groucho Marx.

"It is better to be feared than loved, if one cannot be both". ~ Niccolo Machiavelli, The Prince.

"A wise man can learn more from a foolish question than a fool can learn from a wise answer". ~ Bruce Lee.

"In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities, but in the expert's mind there are few". ~ Shunryu Suzuki.

"Give a man a mask and he will show you his true face". ~ Oscar Wilde.

"He who learns but does not think is lost; he who thinks but does not learn is in great danger". ~ Confucius.

Page 1 of 8 12345678 LastLast