Books that everyone should read - Page 9

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789

Thread: Books that everyone should read

Aside from The Lone Escapist I think Robinson Crusoe is a novel everyone should try. It is one of the first novels ever written in the English language, and there are some very gripping scenes in it. It also started the whole shipwrecked/marooned-on-a-desert isle sub-genre.
    Author of CIBA 'Clue Awards' Semifinalist The Lone Escapist, published by Read Lips Press, available on Amazon.
    *Voted #4 of Best 'Escapist' Novels by Book Lovin' Geek Mamas, NYC

Dan Rhys - Author
    Hidden Content

Okay, I'll bite.

I think everyone who has a father or siblings should read King Lear at least once, but by "read," I mean "see" because it's a play. Bottom line, if you have a parent or are a parent or have siblings, you'll find yourself in this play one way or another.

I think every poet or wannabe should read Lewis Carroll's Alice Through the Looking-Glass It is an at-times-scary fantasy for a child, but it is also a consistent exploration of Appearance vs Reality AND a fascinating potpourri of language and meaning. Also very high on my list is Ludwig Wittgenstein's Philosophical Investigations, by no means a 'dry' philosophical tome. The book is written in connected aphorisms, some of which will drop any poet to his/her knees: Uttering a word is like striking a note on the keyboard of the imagination. . . . . . .etc. It is a feast of insight about language--how we use it and how it impacts our readers/hearers. Everybody's read William Golding's Lord of the Flies, but I find few have even heard of his The Inheritors, a very short novel, or novella if you will, about a pre-linguistic band of nomads who encounter a serious problem on their annual migration. Solving the problem requires language and abstract thought, and they possess neither. What they do is both fascinating as Story and insightful about language. A fun read.

"I believe in nothing but the holiness of the heart's affections and the Truth of the imagination". Keats, ​Letters

"No man is an island entire of itself; every man is a piece of the continent, a part of the main . . . any man's death diminishes me, because I am involved in mankind. And therefore never send to know for whom the bell tolls -- it tolls for thee. " John Donne, Meditation XVII

Stories and essays of Borges. Choose one of them, enjoy your journey.

Enjoy Borges. 'The Library of Babel' and 'The Circular Ruins' are favorites.

There is too much to choose from, and none of it really fits for 'everyone.' I can suggest The Samurai's Garden by Tsukiyama. Never Let Me Go by
    Ishiguro, Carmilla by LeFanu, because they are all short, quick reads that I enjoyed.

Non-fiction, Please Understand Me II, Kiersley. I think it helps you understand other people, if you can digest it. Great for understanding characters a little more, too.

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789