Books that everyone should read - Page 3

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Books that everyone should read

I'd like for everyone to read the DMV driver's manual before they get behind the wheel again, because some of these schmucks out on the road need to brush up.
    "I never desire to converse with a man who has written more than he has read." - Samuel Johnson

count of monte cristo

Pride and Prejudice

mine...if it's ever published lol!
    ~ In order to obtain a RAINBOW, we have to endure a little RAIN ~

~ You have to believe to achieve ~

C'mon guys Milan Kundera eg. 'the Unbearable lightness of being'.
    Dr. Zhivago by Boris Pasternak.
    Joseph Heller if you can stomach him.
    JD Salinger: Everything he ever published (not much)
    And so so so so so many more.........you could spend your whole life reading great books.
    "The fooling, the idleness enjoyed by the few while the majority suffered, could itself create an illusion of character and originality."
    Boris Pasternak

The Great Gatsby
    To Kill a Mockingbird

Quote Originally Posted by For me with Squalor View Post
    C'mon guys Milan Kundera eg. 'the Unbearable lightness of being'.

Oh yes! Most choices are subjective, but this is a novel that anyone who wants to write a novel should read because he breaks the rules. Stunning, stunning book.

Ditto Salinger.

Also Blindness by Josť Saramago, it'll blow you away.

Crash by JG Ballard because again, he took the novel in a different direction and the reader to places they probably shouldn't go.

Burning Valley by Phillip Bonosky because it will remind Americans what their dream was built on. I'd urge you to read this essay by Bonosky also: Odyssey of a Writers Workshop in the 1950s by Phillip Bonosky

Jazz by Toni Morrison because it fills in some conveniently forgotten history, and is beautifully written.

Mother London by Moorcock, possibly the finest thing he's written to date.

I could go on for weeks...
    Hidden Content
    and hang out with the staff at
    Hidden Content

Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card
    Catcher in the Rye by Salinger... I feel like I can't recommend silly sci fi books on here because these are books you read before you die, so they should be important... screw it. Calvin and Hobbes.

To Kill a Mockingbird was a great book. I also really enjoyed Frank Peretti's The Oath. It was really hard to put down. As for authors i am a sucker for..

Patricia Cornwell
    Tami Hoag
    James Patterson
    Love can transpose to form and dignity. Love looks not with the eyes, but with the mind; and therefore is wing'd Cupid painted blind. ~ Midsummer's Nights Eve

"Shakespeare hates your emo poems."

Quote Originally Posted by Damien. View Post
    I feel like I can't recommend silly sci fi books on here...
    Really? You don't think there are landmark SF novels?
    Hidden Content
    and hang out with the staff at
    Hidden Content

The first one off the top of my head - James Joyce's Ulysses. Considered by many to be the best literary work of the 20th Century.
    Hidden Content

Hidden Content

"One morning I shot an elephant in my pyjamas. How he got into my pyjamas I'll never know." ~ Groucho Marx.

"It is better to be feared than loved, if one cannot be both". ~ Niccolo Machiavelli, The Prince.

"A wise man can learn more from a foolish question than a fool can learn from a wise answer". ~ Bruce Lee.

"In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities, but in the expert's mind there are few". ~ Shunryu Suzuki.

"Give a man a mask and he will show you his true face". ~ Oscar Wilde.

"He who learns but does not think is lost; he who thinks but does not learn is in great danger". ~ Confucius.

Wow, this is a hard question. Well, I would have to say that just ONE book is hard, so I will suggest a couple that I think that people should read or at least glance through at least once in their lifetime:

The Bible. Even if you are not a Christian, this is just a wonderful book with the Psalms, Proverbs, Song of Songs, etc. which are beautiful and true at the same time.

The Unseen Hand by A. Ralph Epperson. Yes, it is about conspiracies, but do not crush it until you read it. You have to read it to understand it.

And finally

The Teenager Liberation Handbook, by Grace Lewllyn. Great book on education, unschooling and the freedom to learn. Must read for parents, kids and even just the average Joe.

Just my thoughts

"I live in my own little world. But that's okay, everyone knows me here." Steph
    Hidden Content Hidden Content Hidden Content

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast