Non Fiction Publishers

Thread: Non Fiction Publishers

411XYZ

Non Fiction Publishers

I'm new to this. I need advice regarding trustworthy publishers of non fiction books. So far it look like there are more than a few bad guys in the publishing world. I am looking for a reputable publisher of non fiction.

Any recommendations?

There are tons of nonfiction publishers out there. What genre is your book in? That will make a big difference. For example, we generally publish books in environmental, psychological, and social science fields, while there are other publishers that specialize only in health related titles or music related titles, etc.

Yes, there are many bad publishing companies out there... absolutewrite has a forum for publishers to beware of.
    Director: Hidden Content
    Editor: Hidden Content
    Publisher: Hidden Content
    Editor: Hidden Content

411XYZ
    Quote Originally Posted by flashgordon View Post
    There are tons of nonfiction publishers out there. What genre is your book in? That will make a big difference. For example, we generally publish books in environmental, psychological, and social science fields, while there are other publishers that specialize only in health related titles or music related titles, etc.

Yes, there are many bad publishing companies out there... absolutewrite has a forum for publishers to beware of.
    My book is in part a diet book. It is also a critique on the weigh loss and social commentary on the obesity epidemic. With that said, I am not sure in there is one category in which my book neatly fits.

duck
    Writer's Market - Where & How To Sell What You Write

So far I have received 2 requests for additional chapters from agents I sent query letters to from that site.

As I say, try and meet publishers, get to know what they like and tailor your work in a way that will attract them. Even if you just meet the once at a random event if they know the face/name they are likely to give your chapters a better chance.
    ScribbleSheet
    --------------
    Comfortably Contrarian - interesting articles for young adults
    Hidden Content
    News, Tips and Advice on Writing and Journalism
    Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by 411XYZ View Post
    My book is in part a diet book. It is also a critique on the weigh loss and social commentary on the obesity epidemic. With that said, I am not sure in there is one category in which my book neatly fits.
    Then it sounds like something that would fit into health and lifestyle -
    apart from the suggestions above, you could also approach the magazine publishers (and there are plenty) in this field, for possible serial publication.

Diet and slimming is a huge and competitive market; to get noticed at all, you will want to show some credibility - you'll be competing with people who have letters before and after their names. You'll want to make very sure of your sources for opinions you rely upon.
    Last edited by Cran; December 10th, 2007 at 06:54 PM.
    "I don't know ... I'm making it up as I go ..." - Dr I Jones

Nature abhors perfection - cats abhor a vacuum!

"Faith can move mountains - she's a big girl!" (unknown/graffiti)

If I act like I own the place, it's because I did.