The Bards' Bistro - Page 3

Page 3 of 103 FirstFirst 12345678910111353 ... LastLast

Thread: The Bards' Bistro

I agree with going straight to the judging round. I'll let the judges know and we'll post the winners next Monday.

I believe the next challenge will have more entries. I think some may have wanted to see how the first one worked out before they gave it a try.
    Utopia can only exist in a violent societyHidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by Selorian View Post
    I think some may have wanted to see how the first one worked out before they gave it a try.
    I'm afraid that fear governs us in ways that scare us.
    "PS: don't take technical advice about cold fusion from someone who can't spell fuzhun."

Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by vangoghsear View Post
    I'm afraid that fear governs us in ways that scare us.

Fear scares us... what an astute observation... just kidding.
    "A plot-driven story is anything with a plot." ~BS
    All lines are arbitrary; otherwise, we wouldn't have to draw them. ~Nicholas Vesiri

he's right, I'm afraid ... ...

Now that we've completed one challenge under the LM banner -
    and extra thanks to Selorian for launching LM Poetry in its own section;
    more generous than I'd dared hope when the idea was being discussed
    -
    I'd be very interested in some feedback from the judges regarding the assessment format, especially as I noted some comments in the scoring.

Was the 10 section/100 point format suitable for your needs?
    Was there a balance of criteria -
    Too much or not enough emphasis on any aspect?
    Objective and subjective latitude?
    Any aspect superfluous or missing altogether?

Importantly, how strongly do the criteria rely upon or assume
    a practical knowledge of the craft of poetry?

I don't want to preempt any answers by putting my view on this,
    but I believe it would be a valuable exercise and a progressive step
    towards the ongoing evolution of the poetry challenge.

I'd also be interested in Selorian's experience, as the administrator of the challenge -
    have the steps and stages moved as smoothly as anticipated?
    Is the combined load manageable?
    Are there any aspects where we, as interested participants, can improve our contribution?
    "I don't know ... I'm making it up as I go ..." - Dr I Jones

Nature abhors perfection - cats abhor a vacuum!

"Faith can move mountains - she's a big girl!" (unknown/graffiti)

If I act like I own the place, it's because I did.

Baron
    I'd be interested in seeing some real discussion here instead of in the poetry forum

Quote Originally Posted by Baron View Post
    I'd be interested in seeing some real discussion here instead of in the poetry forum
    Baron... I think they've already snet that horse off to the glue factory...
    "A plot-driven story is anything with a plot." ~BS
    All lines are arbitrary; otherwise, we wouldn't have to draw them. ~Nicholas Vesiri

You're welcome, Cran. It was my pleasure getting this set up.

As far as running it, things went pretty smoothly. It isn't any harder than running one of the LM Challenges, which is that the set up and the final tallying takes some time. Other than that, it isn't bad. I imagine that could change, though, depending on the number of entries.

I asked each of the judges to give me their thoughts on the judging system after they used it. They are more than welcome to post those thoughts here for discussion. I think that their insight will be helpful in making any necessary adjustments to the system to insure it works the best it can in providing a thorough, honest, and fair method of judging.

The only thing I ask is that it remains a real discussion and that it doesn't degrade into arguments, as some of the earlier discussions did.
    Utopia can only exist in a violent societyHidden Content

I enjoyed this competition. it got me to get my brain seriously working on an idea I'd already been developing. From a personal perspective, I think the judging system works, but some tweaking could help. We should focus slightly more on a judge's opinion of entries, and a bit less on the technical aspects. I feel that could help some future scores. A poem needs to feel like a poem, but I don't think it needs to necessarily be technically impressive.

Secondarily, I think this has been addressed before, but since judging is over, is it ok to display my poem in the regular review area?

Baron
    Quote Originally Posted by wheelz1138 View Post
    I enjoyed this competition. it got me to get my brain seriously working on an idea I'd already been developing. From a personal perspective, I think the judging system works, but some tweaking could help. We should focus slightly more on a judge's opinion of entries, and a bit less on the technical aspects. I feel that could help some future scores. A poem needs to feel like a poem, but I don't think it needs to necessarily be technically impressive.

Secondarily, I think this has been addressed before, but since judging is over, is it ok to display my poem in the regular review area?
    I've already posted mine there although so far it's received no comments I understand that as long as the judging is finished there's no problem.

And why would Baron, only 44 points shy of a perfect competition score need additional critiquing from us? It's the lowly entries who only got into the 200's and below who need you!
    Last edited by wheelz1138; December 11th, 2007 at 10:12 PM.