The Bards' Bistro - Page 108

Page 108 of 111 FirstFirst ... 85898100101102103104105106107108109110111 LastLast
Results 1,071 to 1,080 of 1106

Thread: The Bards' Bistro

Need some input, sweeties.

The August challenge will not be anonymous, entrants will be required to post their own work, and everyone may use the “like” function at any point during the process. We will be allowing discussion of the entries throughout the process, but does that include critique? Whether it’s only discussion or discussion and critique, we need a place to put the posts. Previously, when we allowed discussion, we put it in the Bistro and then the critique was allowed after the challenge was closed and it was placed in the actual entry thread. Is that the road we’re traveling? If so, then people can talk about the entries in the bistro at any point once an entry is posted, and then once I close the challenge to new entries, the critique will go in the same thread as the entries. If we’re doing critique throughout the process, I’m going to have to create a dedicated thread because we can’t have critique or discussion in between the entries in the entry thread. That wouldn’t be fair to the people who post entries later rather than sooner because to be accessed, readers will have to weed through critique posts.

Then there’s the wee problem of preserving first rights for the secure entries. Those entries cannot be discussed on the public boards at all. I will, therefore, have to create a thread or two in the workshop for the purpose of discussing as well as critiquing secure entries. A thread for critique of secure entries already exists but has hardly been used. I suppose I could create a running thread like the Bistro for the discussion and then another for any critique. Another concern I have is that people may get mixed up and start talking about a secure entry on a public board. That said, I’m gonna need everyone’s eyes. If someone starts discussing a secure entry in the wrong place, please report it immediately so that I can remedy the situation.

I await your valued opinions with bells on.

Maybe set up a thread like the Bistro for the secure entries. Identical function on that board. As to critique, allow it once all entries have been posted, when the voting opens. That way all poems start at the same line. Others will not have X number of days head start and X number of replies when poem Q is posted. If possible paste a sticky to the secure bistro on this board.
    Last edited by rcallaci; July 27th, 2020 at 09:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Darkkin View Post
    Maybe set up a thread like the Bistro for the secure entries. Identical function on that board. As to critique, allow it once all entries have been posted, when the voting opens. That way all poems start at the same line. Others will not have X number of days head start and X number of replies when poem Q is posted. If possible paste a sticky to the secure bistro on this board.

solid suggestion- I believe this is the way to go. Discussion of the poems in the bistro and a secured bistro while the poems are in progress and critique while the voting is in progress. -----
    Nature weeps, the devil sings
    at mans greed and pride
    and what it brings

Just lots of useless
    little things

I heartily concur. Consider it done. In lieu of a sticky, I’ll just implant a link to the workshop bistro in every opening challenge post, that way it’s front and center every month. Oh boy, I’m gonna have a blast writing up the new requirements, no copy and pasting in August, poor me has to actually think. Get the fire extinguishers ready, lol. Thanks so much, you two!

IIRC, the anonymity after the poetry challenge closes was originally to give privacy to anyone who wrote about difficult or deeply personal stuff from their own life. However, and there has been occasional discussion about this, it should not be assumed that a poet is writing about their own life even if the poem is in first person.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Istine View Post
    IIRC, the anonymity after the poetry challenge closes was originally to give privacy to anyone who wrote about difficult or deeply personal stuff from their own life. However, and there has been occasional discussion about this, it should not be assumed that a poet is writing about their own life even if the poem is in first person.
    I've written deeply personal stuff, actually quite painful memories I did in poetry and prose. I shared those memories (turned into poetry @prose). Never thought about anonymity -- if its too painful to write and only anonymity would make it okay to share then why share it. Who wants to hear from a ghost -- I just don't buy that explanation. If that member wants total anonymity because he wants privacy then don't enter into a public poetry competition.
    Nature weeps, the devil sings
    at mans greed and pride
    and what it brings

Just lots of useless
    little things

I wonder if PeterGrimes realises that only members usernames are revealed when anonymity is removed NOT their personal details?

Blog Entries
    Hi Jen, alright mate,

yes I understand that, although I'm confused as to why I'm being raised in conversation. I think I've only made two posts and they were awhile back. Maybe there's been some confusion. To clarify, I'm quite happy with the proposed changes.

My original point was that to attract new poets (like i was) an anonymous comp could be a good idea, for newbies lack confidence and if you're new to a site, well its only natural you might expect a bit of an old boys club (not that there is at WF) and perhaps think everyone else would vote for each other (which is not the case).

Everyone listened and was very kind, agreed in alternating comps which I thought a very good solution.

My second post was about the comp that has just been. I got the wrong end of the stick and thought people were proposing to reveal the competitors. My point was a matter of principle. If a competition starts with a set of rules it should finish with those same rules. 'Moving the goalposts' mid comp could undermine peoples trust in any future WF events. I was only talking about the comp that has finished just now. I have no problem with future changes. Its about maintaining the integrity of the competition.

I am quite happy with all the discussion about future competitions and think it is good people are having an open and honest debate. I don't disagree with any of it. I'm looking forwards to seeing what it all looks like. If anybody is unsure of my point of view or feels the need to discuss it, please feel free to PM me and I will answer any questions openly and honestly. But I'm fine with how things are turning out. All the best PG
    Last edited by petergrimes; July 29th, 2020 at 12:45 AM.

Hi PG, I'm sorry if my post came across as me having a go at you. It was quite the opposite - I was worried that you were thinking that personal details would be revealed. I think most of us would not like that idea. Of course, I should have sent a pm.

I absolutely get your point about newbies being too shy to enter if the comp was not anonymous and, like you, I think the compromise that has been agreed is perfect. Once new poets have become comfortable with the competition they would probably progress to taking part every month. Many thanks for speaking up in defence of the many who might be hesitating to post. By having an anonymous option, there is an easy route in.

Apologies for my clumsy post and thanks for being so understanding.

Cheers my mate.

Blog Entries
    Jen the pen,

no worries mate. I knew you meant nothing by it, that you only had my best intentions at heart, as you've always done. It just occurred to me that perhaps people had misapprehended where I was coming from.

Thank you for being so understanding, I still think you're a star,

All the best our kid, PG
    Last edited by petergrimes; July 29th, 2020 at 09:52 PM.
    'I don't know what I'm doing'