The Road Not Taken - Robert Frost

Thread: The Road Not Taken - Robert Frost

The Road Not Taken - Robert Frost

For whatever reason, this poem has always captivated me. Maybe it's just that the concept of lifes journey and the different roads we can take, fascinates me. Whatever the case, I truly enjoy this poem.

Two roads diverged in a yellow wood,
    And sorry I could not travel both
    And be one traveler, long I stood
    And looked down one as far as I could
    To where it bent in the undergrowth;
    Then took the other, as just as fair,
    And having perhaps the better claim,
    Because it was grassy and wanted wear;
    Though as for that the passing there
    Had worn them really about the same,
    And both that morning equally lay
    In leaves no step had trodden black.
    Oh, I kept the first for another day!
    Yet knowing how way leads on to way,
    I doubted if I should ever come back.
    I shall be telling this with a sigh
    Somewhere ages and ages hence:
    Two roads diverged in a wood, and I-
    I took the one less traveled by,
    And that has made all the difference.
    Learn more about the Twinblade Chronicles at:
    Hidden Content &
    Hidden Content

Book 1: The Blood in the Sand - In draft now!!

I second you! It's a beautiful poem!
    "Of course, it's happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean it is not real?"

Is it really only about the different roads we can take in life?

Well, sometimes one can interpret a poem in many ways but this doesn't falsify its one interpretion.
    "Of course, it's happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean it is not real?"

Quote Originally Posted by Blackviolet View Post
    I find that a lot of poetry has multiple meanings. This may very well have multiple meanings as well. I'm not sure about that, however, what I am sure of is that this particular meaning is the one that means the most to me and therefore the reason that I really enjoy this poem.
    Hidden Content &
    Hidden Content

Blog Entries
    I agree, it's always captivated me as well. For me it's the sense of adventure and possibility...whether metaphorically about life or, even more so, simply about the lure of the outdoors.

jamkooroeki

yes

I would have to agree with everyone here, and I must say I am suprised that there wasn't any more response to this classical poem. It seems it is always easier to go the road that is more traveled, the road that the rest of the herd goes. It is safe. It takes a real brave person to take the other road and find out something new. It is that adventerous spirit that I admire.

Quote Originally Posted by jamkooroeki View Post
    I would have to agree with everyone here, and I must say I am suprised that there wasn't any more response to this classical poem. It seems it is always easier to go the road that is more traveled, the road that the rest of the herd goes. It is safe. It takes a real brave person to take the other road and find out something new. It is that adventerous spirit that I admire.
    I was surprised by the lack of response as well.

For me, I've went down path's in my life where I feel as though I was teetering precariously on the edge of disaster. Inevitably, I came to a crossroads (or point in a yellow wood where my two roads diverged) and had to make a decision. I made decisions for me that were very hard and against the norm. With everyone telling me that it would be ok to go down 1 path, I dug deep within myself and I veered the other way. I firmly believe that making that choice saved my life and drastically changed the life of my family as well. So now, I look back and think about taking that path and how it has "made all the difference."

I truly love this poem. I've thought about getting a tattoo one day that incorporates this theme.
    Hidden Content &
    Hidden Content

Robert Frost is easily one of my favorite poets, and I know what you mean about this poem. It is a captivating piece, and I love reading it whenever I feel a little hopeless.
    One act of kindness can heal a month of pain. There's always that moment where the tension breaks and you have to laugh.- Jenn Caroll.

How many years can some people exist, before they're allowed to be free?- Bob Dylan.