Nick Cave - Wild Rose


Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 13

Thread: Nick Cave - Wild Rose

  1. #1

    Nick Cave - Wild Rose

    Seeing an AFI track posted led me to thinking of lyricists, and I reckon Nick Cave has to be one of the finest (and underrated) poets of my generation. An example:

    Where the Wild Roses Grow

    From the first day I saw her I knew she was the one
    She stared in my eyes and smiled
    For her lips were the colour of the roses
    That grew down the river, all bloody and wild

    When he knocked on my door and entered the room
    My trembling subsided in his sure embrace
    He would be my first man, and with a careful hand
    He wiped at the tears that ran down my face

    On the second day I brought her a flower
    She was more beautiful than any woman I'd seen
    I said, "Do you know where the wild roses grow
    So sweet and scarlet and free?"

    On the second day he came with a single red rose
    Said: "Will you give me your loss and your sorrow"
    I nodded my head, as I lay on the bed
    He said, "If I show you the roses, will you follow?"

    On the third day he took me to the river
    He showed me the roses and we kissed
    And the last thing I heard was a muttered word
    As he knelt (stood smiling) above me with a rock in his fist

    On the last day I took her where the wild roses grow
    And she lay on the bank, the wind light as a thief
    And I kissed her goodbye, said, "All beauty must die"
    And lent down and planted a rose between her teeth
    Hidden Content
    and hang out with the staff at
    Hidden Content

  2. #2
    Member lisajane's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Melbourne Australia
    Posts
    375
    What about the chorus?
    'Beauty stands and waits with gravity to start her death-defying leap. And he, a little charleychaplin man, who may or may not catch her fair eternal form spreadeagled in the empty air of existence.' - Laurence Felinghetti, 'The Acrobat'

  3. #3
    Quote Originally Posted by lisajane
    What about the chorus?
    Ah, you caught me out!

    Chorus:

    They call me The Wild Rose
    But my name was Elisa Day
    Why they call me it I do not know
    For my name was Elisa Day
    Hidden Content
    and hang out with the staff at
    Hidden Content

  4. #4
    temptryst
    Guest
    I was actually JUST listening to that song a couple of hours ago. For lyrics to the song, I found them really good. Plus, he and kate bush may not be the greatest singers, but the way in which that song was done really translated across the meaning of the lyrics well I think.

  5. #5
    Member female_writer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Southern California
    Posts
    29
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike C
    Seeing an AFI track posted led me to thinking of lyricists, and I reckon Nick Cave has to be one of the finest (and underrated) poets of my generation. An example:

    Where the Wild Roses Grow

    From the first day I saw her I knew she was the one
    She stared in my eyes and smiled
    For her lips were the colour of the roses
    That grew down the river, all bloody and wild

    When he knocked on my door and entered the room
    My trembling subsided in his sure embrace
    He would be my first man, and with a careful hand
    He wiped at the tears that ran down my face

    On the second day I brought her a flower
    She was more beautiful than any woman I'd seen
    I said, "Do you know where the wild roses grow
    So sweet and scarlet and free?"

    On the second day he came with a single red rose
    Said: "Will you give me your loss and your sorrow"
    I nodded my head, as I lay on the bed
    He said, "If I show you the roses, will you follow?"

    On the third day he took me to the river
    He showed me the roses and we kissed
    And the last thing I heard was a muttered word
    As he knelt (stood smiling) above me with a rock in his fist

    On the last day I took her where the wild roses grow
    And she lay on the bank, the wind light as a thief
    And I kissed her goodbye, said, "All beauty must die"
    And lent down and planted a rose between her teeth
    Uh...wow, that is stunning.

    First time Ive seen it, and have not heard it.
    Ill try to download it tonight, thanks.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    "If I'm gonna go down I'm gonna do it with style. You won't hear me surrender, you won't hear me confess cause you've left me with nothing but I have worked with less."
    ~ Ani DiFranco

  6. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by temptryst
    Plus, he and kate bush may not be the greatest singers...
    Not Kate Bush, Kylie Minogue.
    Hidden Content
    and hang out with the staff at
    Hidden Content

  7. #7
    temptryst
    Guest
    Ah well, I got the song from a friend and it was labelled as Kate Bush singing it

  8. #8
    There's a collection of international erotica, edited by Maxim Jubokowski, that includes a short story called Where The Wild Roses Grow and it was a prose version of the song, although not penned by Cave.

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by Stewart
    There's a collection of international erotica, edited by Maxim Jubokowski, that includes a short story called Where The Wild Roses Grow and it was a prose version of the song, although not penned by Cave.
    Really? Damn! I always wanted to write that
    Hidden Content
    and hang out with the staff at
    Hidden Content

  10. #10
    I love Cave, I think my favourite lyrics by him though have to be '(Are You)The One That I've Been Waiting For?' and 'There She Goes, My Beautiful World' there are some great literary references throughout the latter.
    You really have to display information to discover relativity.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
This website uses cookies
We use cookies to store session information to facilitate remembering your login information, to allow you to save website preferences, to personalise content and ads, to provide social media features and to analyse our traffic. We also share information about your use of our site with our social media, advertising and analytics partners.