Stephen King - On Writing - Page 4

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Stephen King - On Writing

Blog Entries
    I wanted to buy the book, in the original language.
    But I see there are 2 editions.
    A normal edition, and a "20 Anniversary". :leggere:
    What is the difference between the two editions?
    My dream? Being able to enter people's hearts with words: giving emotions and dreams.
    JK Rowling (Harry Potter) has been rejected more than 10 times Remember, don't give up!
    Thank you all for the help you give me to improve my English.

Don't have to follow his advice. They're guidelines as it is, not rules. Just don't think about it as being anything, and do what you feel is right.

Years ago... decades ago actually... I read a lot of Stephen King. After a while though, it seemed as if he ran out of ideas. Also, in several of his novels it seemed as if he was pantsing and couldn't figure out how to end the story.

IMO his best novel is 'IT' and 'The Stand' is his worst... 'Tommyknockers' is (IMO) pretty bad too.

No one can dispute his success, so he's got something going for him. He has a method that works for him - but probably not for many others. As it is with all advice, take it with a dose of salt.

Quote Originally Posted by indianroads View Post
    Years ago... decades ago actually... I read a lot of Stephen King. After a while though, it seemed as if he ran out of ideas. Also, in several of his novels it seemed as if he was pantsing and couldn't figure out how to end the story.

No one can dispute his success, so he's got something going for him. He has a method that works for him - but probably not for many others. As it is with all advice, take it with a dose of salt.
    That's more or less my take on it. I enjoyed some of his early stuff, allow that he still has some gems in the middle years, and stepped off the cliff late in the game. Of course, he still had an admirable run and an above-average pile of gold at the bank to show, so listening to critics is probably low on the list at this point.

Broadly speaking, I think the longer you go on writing original stuff the less use you have for advice from famous authors. Getting to the stage where you do it right is more trial and error than research, and you realize that most artistic success is lightning in a bottle.

Writing habits and processes are like tailored clothes. No matter the quality, it's never going to fit as well secondhand.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234