What the World Needs

Read our latest author interview on Flashes >>HERE<< .

Thread: What the World Needs

What the World Needs

What the World Needs

The people of this world have never been so connected to each other than the present era. Cell phones, the advent of the Internet, and television gives humans unprecedented access to contact each other and to understand each other better. And yet, the world has never been so divided. Nations still do not understand each others policies and traditions, and racism is becoming a greater problem. I suppose a symbol of this decline in the worlds state would be Matthew. He is both a victim and a participant in the isolation and lassitude that affects the world today. Because of the growing number of people living his lifestyle, we most realize that the world is not improving, and if something is not done about this new threat, a new global dark age may result.

My friend Matthew is just 15 years of age but is already glued to the tube. In short, he is a couch potato, one of this new digital generation who spends up to eight hours of every day watching the idiot box. Every time one of his favorite shows like Punkd, Cribs, or Lost is on, he immediately drops whatever he was doing and dashes to the television. I know this rather unpleasant detail as a fact. In the 7th grade near the dreaded final exam, I was at his house up on Northridge tutoring him on importance of Medieval Europe on the modern day world. It was about 10:00 at night and we were both a little weary from the ten hour studying binge. But when Matthew saw the time, I could have sworn that his face suddenly lit up and he raced downstairs and turned on the TV. Stunned by this development, I walked downstairs and found Matthew with a blank star and laughing at crude butt jokes. It was a sad sight to see a person that I knew turned into a drone of sorts. As I watched Matthew slump on the couch and munch on a bag of Ruffles, I was struck by a revelation. Matthew is not of a minority of those who excessively watch TV. There are at least 200 million in this country alone that instead of reading novels or playing with their buddies just turn on the TV and turn off their brains as they watch mindless programs.

If TV only effected one hour of Matthews day, then it would have not been much of a problem. However, television affects every minute of Matthews day. Matthew is big-boned. Im not trying to say that television made him fat, but it certainly didnt do any good. He constantly describes to me all night binges of five wholes pizzas while watching a marathon of the Mann show or watching the entire Stars War epic. When I call Matthew on the phone, the TV is always on and he is usually sacking on some junk food of some sort. In fact, in Physical Education, Matthew is always the last of the pack in our school even if he tries his hardest. Even me, a most unatheletic kid can easily lap him during the mile despite the fact that my best mile was 13:05.

I wont deny that the world is getting better technology and a greater amount of luxury that if used responsibly could create a Utopia. But people use these tools irresponsibly and create a huge mess out of things. Matthew is an example of this. Unless people like Matthew can break their addiction to TV, a real problem will continue that will challenge the world until it is resolved or until the world is thrown into chaos.
    I put the epic back into epic poetry

Tinian, a tiny Pacific island north of Guam, south of Saipan
    i don't think it's as psychologically complicated as all that, starr... it's more the 'everest sydrome'... simply the 'because it's there!' factor...

that's a well-thought-out and pretty well-written piece, a. night... but i have to question your estimate of '200 million' american couch potatoes, when that's 2/3 of the total... do you really think it's as high as 2 out of every 3 people in the country [including infants]?... if so, i agree, nothing good can come of it!

love and hugs, maia
    For 100% free writing help/mentoring:
    Hidden Content

"You must BE the change you wish to see in the world." Gandhi