Writing Forums

Writing Forums is a privately-owned, community managed writing environment. We provide an unlimited opportunity for writers and poets of all abilities, to share their work and communicate with other writers and creative artists. We offer an experience that is safe, welcoming and friendly, regardless of your level of participation, knowledge or skill. There are several opportunities for writers to exchange tips, engage in discussions about techniques, and grow in your craft. You can also participate in forum competitions that are exciting and helpful in building your skill level. There's so much more for you to explore!

4 of my main characters are Lifelong Virgins :) (1 Viewer)

JimmyTheAlien

I think it's important to include characters that are often excluded/portrayed as "losers"

I myself am a Lifelong Virgin and I honestly see nothing wrong with this

I just thought I'd share this with people to let them know that they're not alone-

being a Virgin is rare but not as rare as people think it is.

It's really important to let people know this.

do any of you guys include virgin characters?

robertn51

Friends of WF
4 of my main characters are Lifelong Virgins

Cool! Will your story be interesting like Jeffrey Eugenides' The Virgin Suicides?

I mean he had five virgins but one was just "maybe" a virgin -- had some unreliable narrators, you know? But there were four virgins, for sure.

And they were certainly Lifelong Virgins just like the main characters you have written. But those suicides in there kind of cheated about their "lifelongness."

Eugenides' book was really more about the suicides than the virginities, though. Some authors do that, you know? Throw around sex words? I think it's just to make sure people notice them.

Hmm. Eugenides wrote another novel, too, called Middlesex. Sex again. But that was about an intersex person. First person narrator so it was thoughtful and interesting. And in the end a little bittersweet, hopeful-sad. "Normal" people can be so weird about sex.

What is your story about? Besides being "virgin," whatever it means these days. Hard to keep up with all that. Maybe you have explored that very thing and can help out?

But I mean, we've all been virgins, and I read there's more and more choosing that lifestyle, so there's plenty of resonance out there in your audience, no?

Will you be posting your story soon?

Oh, you asked, too:
do any of you guys include virgin characters?

Nah. Not yet.

I think if I found myself needing a virgin character I'd wonder about my motives. Since I don't write stories revolving around the characters' sexual relations, why would their sexual histories even matter?

And then, if it doesn't matter, why have that detail in the foreground? You know?

Writing is hard enough.

[2021-07-28 2227]

JimmyTheAlien

And my characters are very important to me
The 4 of them being virgins is sending out a message to whomever will receive it and recognize it for what it is

PiP

Staff member
Co-Owner
And my characters are very important to me
The 4 of them being virgins is sending out a message to whomever will receive it and recognize it for what it is
Once you've made ten posts you can share some of your story to the fiction workshop for critique. The workshops are not visible to search engines, guests and new members.

K.S. Crooks

Sex hasn't been a needed plot point for anything I've written. I would only mention a character is a virgin if it plays a role in understanding their history or motives, if it has some sort of plot implication (human sacrifice of a virgin for example). Otherwise its an unneeded piece of information. I would see it same way as saying I have three characters who are vegan or left-handed. If it doesn't play a role in the story then why mention it? If it does then go with it.

Reactions: PiP

JimmyTheAlien

sex is a plot in 80% of everything so why can't characters that don't have sex get the spotlight?

this world is so backwards 🙄

PiP

Staff member
Co-Owner
Jimmy, are virgins central to your plot?
sex is a plot in 80% of everything so why can't characters that don't have sex get the spotlight?

So do the characters talk about not having sex? How will the reader know they are virgins?
A virgin is a virgin so not quite sure how 'lifelong' is relevant.

Last edited:

JimmyTheAlien

Jimmy, are virgins central to your plot?

So do the characters talk about not having sex? How will the reader know they are virgins?
A virgin is a virgin so not quite sure how 'lifelong' is relevant.
we finally get to see life from the perspective of 4 different Virgins
so yes they will be talking about not having sex lol

VRanger

Staff member
Administrator
I don't really agree that sex is a plot in 80% of everything. Most of what I read has very little sex, and what's there has little to do with the central plot. It may be more prevalent in Romance, but I don't read Romance, and Romance is about 50% of the market. I don't write it, either. Of my eight novels, I only openly acknowledge characters having sex in one, and they're engaged. However, one of them WAS a virgin. ;-) In two other novels, you would assume that two characters have a sexual relationship, but it's irrelevant to the central plot, and WAY BEHIND closed doors.

But sure, there's nothing wrong, and could be a positive, in exploring virginity. Most sex in literature is gratuitous, and in real life gratuitous sex comes with loads of potential baggage, and often lifelong resulting issues and regrets.

JBF

Staff member
Global Moderator
I don't really agree that sex is a plot in 80% of everything. Most of what I read has very little sex, and what's there has little to do with the central plot. It may be more prevalent in Romance, but I don't read Romance, and Romance is about 50% of the market. I don't write it, either. Of my eight novels, I only openly acknowledge characters having sex in one, and they're engaged. However, one of them WAS a virgin. ;-) In two other novels, you would assume that two characters have a sexual relationship, but it's irrelevant to the central plot, and WAY BEHIND closed doors.

Sex is an odd quantity in fiction. I'm of a mind that depictions of the act usually don't add much, and an excess can an otherwise enjoyable story. Then again, in some circumstances a total absence would seem odd. There are also some instances where a writer can make good use of the intimacy aspect as opposed to the vivid clinical details.

Tensions, questions, uncertainties...all that fun stuff that's baked into the human experience finds a good chunk of its roots in how the sexes deal with each other...or not.

But sure, there's nothing wrong, and could be a positive, in exploring virginity. Most sex in literature is gratuitous, and in real life gratuitous sex comes with loads of potential baggage, and often lifelong resulting issues and regrets.

Four virgins talking about it sounds like comedy gold, though. At least until Netflix gets hold of the idea.

robertn51

Friends of WF
So I return to this.

It's been on my mind since before the weekend, on many levels.

The technical challenge
-- making the absence of something interesting, like writing without the letter "e").

The human challenge
-- a lack of sexual congress means, by our biologic nature, the end of the species. Plus there's our oft-avoided epistemic responsibility -- the obligation to know well -- related, by our conscious nature, to sustaining the species at some level of human-ness.

The media challenge.

Which is where the gears grind. We are immersed in sex and sexual attraction and sexual congress. Not in the literal sense, but in the social sense. That role playing, that finding one's place. Being accepted. In media is where the social need for "belonging" and being accepted is most presented. And presented in very patterned and deliberate ways. Ways that might not be serving us well. Ways that lead to an unearned "man on top" patriarchy and calcification of expectation and result.

My brooding culminated in an "emergency" call-out yesterday, Sunday, that ended with me 15 miles away in a different park by a different duck-littered lake, stomping back and forth, roughly chastising a 30-something "family member" I've spent 24 years corralling and counseling. *(footnote)

In the midst of my perfectly appropriate, duck-terrifying Sunday harangue I realized, Here is someone whose life would be so much more relaxed and loving if they would simply stop their incessant and catastrophic pursuit of sexual relationships.

Not just "crappy and abusive and inappropriate" sexual relationships, but relationships that are sexual.

But they are seemingly incapable of imagining such a life. The pursuit of sexual relationship is what they are supposed to do. They point to their "normal" siblings, mother, and me. The way we are.

They want to be, are supposed to be, like us.

Not virgin.

Not to be
...characters that are often excluded/portrayed as "losers"

How to write something interesting about a way of life we are so far removed from, so different from expectation?

Something so alien.

(Hello @JimmyTheAlien )

Food for thought.

Niche? Probably. But maybe not.

Maybe it's not all about the absence. Maybe it's about removing a destructive presence?

And maybe it's about what's in the mirror.

* This person, for want of label to explain my involvement at this level, is of "special needs." They have been, since preadolesence, the most challenging relationship I have ever endured. And yet they, through so many things, so many lenses, so many not-usual perspectives over the years, jostle me to really see our humanity from the frontiers of its edges.

[2021-08-02 0953]

Turnbull

I support you writing the characters you like, but I'mma be honest. I prefer stories that don't refer to sex at all, even to say they don't have it. To me, romance (and romance related topics) are done and overdone. I just want to see refreshing topics that show the value of life even without a relationship.