Writing Forums

Writing Forums is a privately-owned, community managed writing environment. We provide an unlimited opportunity for writers and poets of all abilities, to share their work and communicate with other writers and creative artists. We offer an experience that is safe, welcoming and friendly, regardless of your level of participation, knowledge or skill. There are several opportunities for writers to exchange tips, engage in discussions about techniques, and grow in your craft. You can also participate in forum competitions that are exciting and helpful in building your skill level. There's so much more for you to explore!

30-32 Chapter Story Circle (1 Viewer)

Selorian

Patron
30-32 Chapter Story Circle Color-Small.jpg

30-32 Chapter Story Circle with Chapter-by-Chapter Breakdown
By Cliff Fryman

Prologue – In the Past (Optional Prologue or introduce character in his world)

Chapter One – World Tour (Introduce character & his ordinary world & existing supporting characters)

Chapter Two – Wishes & Wonders (Explore hopes & dreams while introducing something strange)

Chapter Three – Old Ways (Tries to get what he wants while coping with the new weird)

Chapter Four – Inciting Incident (Plans ruined by something that can’t be ignored and is a setback)

Chapter Five – Kneejerk Reaction (Reacts emotionally while trying to understand what happened)

Chapter Six – Do It My Way (Rebels against the new while trying to solve the problem)

Chapter Seven – Not the Boss (Ordinary solution for supernatural problem fails)

Chapter Eight – Cross the Threshold (1[SUP]st[/SUP] Plot Point, Crosses into new world with no hope of return)

Chapter Nine – Strange New World (In shock explores new world and discover all the players)

Chapter Ten – Let’s Play (Games & Trials during the journey to belong, promise of premise)

Chapter Eleven – One of Us (Small victory proves ability and brings goal to light)

Chapter Twelve – Antagonist Revealed (1[SUP]st[/SUP] pinch point, enemy/antagonist revealed & stakes raised)

Chapter Thirteen – Fall Back (Surprise complication deals a blow & doubts surface)

Chapter Fourteen – Spill It (Demand to know info & real situation)

Chapter Fifteen – Informed Assault (Sharing & full knowledge allows commitment & a plan)

Chapter Sixteen – Midpoint (Gets what wants, but real risk and need is highlighted, victim to warrior)

Chapter Seventeen – Stand Up (Recovery & realization leads to decision to do more)

Chapter Eighteen – War Party (Gather support & make plan to confront true threat)

Chapter Nineteen – Try Again (Set out with important task to eliminate threat)

Chapter Twenty – Antagonist Fight (2[SUP]nd[/SUP] Pinch Point, Direct fight reveals weakness & threatens resolve)

Chapter Twenty-One – What Is Lost (Beaten & pay a great cost in the process)

Chapter Twenty-Two – Guilt & Truth (Guilt & doubt but regroup & know truth of antagonist)

Chapter Twenty-Three – One More Push (Plan adjusted & push forward for confrontation)

Chapter Twenty-Four – Darkest Night (2[SUP]nd[/SUP] Plot Point, Plan goes wrong, forces too great, lowest point)

Chapter Twenty-Five – Can Do This (Encouraging pep talk & what is at stake emboldens MC)

Chapter Twenty-Six – My Fatal Flaw (Realizes their fault & that it goes back to first problem)

Chapter Twenty-Seven – Get It Right (Full knowledge to go & finish this win or die)

Chapter Twenty-Eight – Final Climatic Battle (Climax, Final battle, all seems lost & MC confronts fear)

Chapter Twenty-Nine – Victory At Last (Deep resolve to sacrifice past self & confront flaw allows victory)

Chapter Thirty – Return & Reflect (Loose ends & how far have come to live changed in new world)

Epilogue – In the Future (Optional Epilogue or further review of lessons learned and new life)

_____________________________________________________________________________________________

This is something I came up with combining Dan Harmon's Story Circle, Derek Murphy's Plot Dot and 24 Chapter Novel Outline, and Katytastic's 3 Act, 9 Block, 27 Chapter Novel Outline. I find it very useful and though others may as well. I also have it in Word format that I could share from my Google drive if anyone wants it.

Enjoy and I would love to hear if anyone uses it or has any suggestions that may make it better.

Attachments

• 30-32 Chapter Story Circle Color-Smaller.jpg
    30-32 Chapter Story Circle Color-Smaller.jpg
    76.1 KB · Views: 5

Foxee

Patron
Patron
I feel bad because I want to spin it and cheer while I see what the arrow lands on and I have to write.

Okay, now that I've gotten a grip and looked at it properly I like it and I could see it being helpful to keep a squirrel like myself on track.

(I still want to spin it, though)

vranger

Staff member
Board Moderator
I'm SOL. I write twenty chapters, then wrap up in a short chapter twenty-one. ;-)

Nice presentation. :)

Ajoy

This is cool. I went through it with my WIP in mind, and it tracked fairly well for the most part. I am missing a couple just before the climax, and sure enough, that is a section I'm working on in my current draft. What a great tool! :)

I would love to get a copy to save in my writing folder!

Selorian

Patron
I feel bad because I want to spin it and cheer while I see what the arrow lands on and I have to write.

Okay, now that I've gotten a grip and looked at it properly I like it and I could see it being helpful to keep a squirrel like myself on track.

(I still want to spin it, though)

Great way to do it when you don't write linearly. :)

I'm SOL. I write twenty chapters, then wrap up in a short chapter twenty-one. ;-)

Nice presentation. :)

Thanks. I vary the number of chapters by dropping or condensing as needed to fit the story.

Throw a dart. Less axle maintenance...plus, you get to throw a dart.

Less axle maintenance is always a good thing and throwing darts is even better.

This is cool. I went through it with my WIP in mind, and it tracked fairly well for the most part. I am missing a couple just before the climax, and sure enough, that is a section I'm working on in my current draft. What a great tool! :)

I would love to get a copy to save in my writing folder!

That is awesome, glad it worked so well. Here is a link to the Word Doc.

Users who are viewing this thread