Writing Forums

Writing Forums is a privately-owned, community managed writing environment. We provide an unlimited opportunity for writers and poets of all abilities, to share their work and communicate with other writers and creative artists. We offer an experience that is safe, welcoming and friendly, regardless of your level of participation, knowledge or skill. There are several opportunities for writers to exchange tips, engage in discussions about techniques, and grow in your craft. You can also participate in forum competitions that are exciting and helpful in building your skill level. There's so much more for you to explore!

3 day novel (1 Viewer)

Z

Zeek

Anyone else tried this? I did two years ago and made it to 82 pages...about 50 are interesting, then it just goes crazy.

www.threedaynovel.com

I figured this would be the place to post this since Namo is the same idea...except longer. :lol:

A

Avi

I was looking on their site and couldn't find how they defined "novel." Is it the same as Nano, 50k words? And here I thought writing a novel in a month was crazy.... Oy!

Avi said:
I was looking on their site and couldn't find how they defined "novel." Is it the same as Nano, 50k words? And here I thought writing a novel in a month was crazy.... Oy!

Here it is, straight from the horse's mouth:

3-Day Novel's Website said:
There are no limits to the novel's length, but entries average 100 typewritten pages, double-spaced.

Craigy

Do you...not sleep? Maybe Mountain Dew should sponser it.

EDIT: I just check it out and almost died just reading about it. You must be some kind of writing god if you survived that monstrosity.

Last edited:
N

Noodles

Craigy said:
Do you...not sleep? Maybe Mountain Dew should sponser it.

EDIT: I just check it out and almost died just reading about it. You must be some kind of writing god if you survived that monstrosity.

agreed

Banzai

How precisely can they stop you from cheating? Surely you could write it in advance, and just submit it for the deadline, without them ever being able to tell? It seems to be the same problem as with NANO :???:

D

Dean F. Wilson

The difference, of course, is that with Nanowrimo you win an avatar at best, not the various prizes 3-Day Novel offer, so there's less of a reason to cheat, as it were.

What's all this about cheating anyway? :shock:

;)

-D

Raging_Hopeful

Okay yeah but Nano is for the self-satisfaction more than money or fame. And bragging rights... sure you could cheat, but then you're just an idiot. Plus there's comraderie to failing too since a lot of people too. Having Nano pity parties are almost as fun as having celebratory ones methinks.

The problem with this one is that it costs $50 to play and with no guarantee that others won't cheat, I'd be leary of handing over my money. But hell, if you can do, then you rock and THAT is a prize within itself! :)

playstation60

I know someone that did Nano this year, and had her stuff written in a weekend. She spent most of the rest of the month editing and debating whether or not she wanted to write a 2nd novel.

movieman

If 100 pages counts as a novel, that's only a little over a page an hour. But isn't that more like 25,000 words than a real novel length?

Of course you'd have to be pretty insane and the odds of producing a viable novel are slim.

X

Xadreque

movieman said:
If 100 pages counts as a novel, that's only a little over a page an hour. But isn't that more like 25,000 words than a real novel length?
It depends on your font size and if you double space or not :p

I just opened up a story that I worked on during December, I have 22,093 words, which ends up being 37 pages and change. With single spacing, 12 point Times New Roman font.