Episcopalian Church to Split on Gay Bishop! - Page 4

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Episcopalian Church to Split on Gay Bishop!

60sbuff

Kitten

Kitten:
    No apology necessary
    I was just trying to make the point that many may come in the name of Christ and many will call out on the last day "Lord, Lord!"
    But he will say, "Depart from me ye workers of iniquity, I never knew you."
    Sorry to be such a nudge , but we will soon be faced with a choice: Remain silent and let the homosexual activists compromise the Church, or speak up and be violently attacked as Homophobes and worse.
    You are fine. I , on the otherhand sometimes come on a little too strong.
    (Very red in the face!)

rapture
    Hi,

I wondered what is the point of putting something which God condems at the pulpit to begin with? What's the point?

He's not in the pulpit. He's nominated. The day that he was nominated to go through the necessary trials to become bishop(he's bishop-elect, not bishop), was (likely)specifically chosen becuase it was withing 128 days before the general convention. Any nominations to positions like bishop in this time period are -required- to go in front of the general assembly for deciding. The general assembly decided to make him bishop elect. Some two days or so later, the general assembly voted in favor of a rule that states that any priests, bishops, etc..., living and having sexual relations with another person may not continue to be priests, etc.. The bishop-elect in question lives his partner in an intimate capacity. Currently, in the United States, same-sex marriages are not recognized by law. There you have it.

The issue at hand is not whether or not God accepts homosexuality, it is whether or not the church wants homosexual leaders. By appointing this man bishop elect, maybe the general assembly was aiming to make an active statement that the Episcopal church would accept homosexual like they accept any other. We're all sinners anyway, and we have no right to turn against our brother and sisters, convinced that their sin is any greater or more damning than ours. I am proud to say that this Assembly went much farther than any other stodgy old religion would go to make a statement(and the Episcopal chruch is pretty stodgy and old). They moved beyond the ineffectual words and into deafening acction. And have encouraged us to think.

-Kitten
    Cadmus: Poor child, like a white swan warding its weak old father, why do you clasp those white arms about my neck?
    Euripides; 'The Bacchae'

Harsh judgments like those are made from the mouth of man, God has no say in the matter.

regards,
    Bob
    Nature weeps, the devil sings
    at mans greed and pride
    and what it brings

Just lots of useless
    little things

I used to go to an Anglican church here in Australia, but I left because they were too wishy washy. Compared to some Christians I am seen as a bit left-wing... but I believe what I believe, fundamentalist? Perhaps? But I vote Labor... just a thought, don't mind its incoherency, I'm tired as...

Sorry, that was I...

UNCO

"I used to go to an Anglican church here in Australia, but I left because they were too wishy washy. Compared to some Christians I am seen as a bit left-wing... but I believe what I believe, fundamentalist? Perhaps? But I vote Labor... just a thought, don't mind its incoherency, I'm tired as..."
    "Look at the stars, and how they shine for you..."

Bravo Spudley! all is said and done. you can't have your cake and eat it too. I would want the person who is about to be my spiritual leader to have complete and reverant belief in the subject he claims to represent. again, bravo! as for being gay...well your sexual preference is your own choice, but to me it has nothing at all to do with getting a job. but this mans choice of profession is odd, I agree with spudley.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234