Writing Forums

Writing Forums is a privately-owned, community managed writing environment. We provide an unlimited opportunity for writers and poets of all abilities, to share their work and communicate with other writers and creative artists. We offer an experience that is safe, welcoming and friendly, regardless of your level of participation, knowledge or skill. There are several opportunities for writers to exchange tips, engage in discussions about techniques, and grow in your craft. You can also participate in forum competitions that are exciting and helpful in building your skill level. There's so much more for you to explore!

2021 Banished Word list (including phrases) (1 Viewer)

Phil Istine

WF Veterans
sadly: banish the word sadly forever.
Whenever UK ministers announce the new daily death total for coronavirus victims, they always say "sadly". What the hell do they think - that we expect them to dance around shouting the number jubilantly while wearing a bloody Noddy hat with a bell on? Actually, that might suit Pixie Gove.

vranger

Staff member
Supervisor
Amazing - I've harped on this one before. It should have been banned at least 20 years ago. Every offender should have to sit at a desk in a parochial school, proctored by a stern nun with a ruler. She should smack the writer's left hand by the time the writer types the 'z'. Possibly we could weed out the over use and misuse of this word. (Pipe dream, I know).

Literally - I suppose some people are afraid you'll believe they're exaggerating (which they are) if they don't include this before every supposed fact they relate.

Uncharted waters - Not only is this cliché overworked (last year I heard a sports announcer use it three times in one brief speech), but even worse, it is often twisted into "unchartered waters". If you're going to use a cliché, at least show enough education to know what it means and not mangle it into nonsense.

You're not wrong - What is the point of this? To me it indicates the speaker is so juvenile they can't admit the other person is "right", so they equivocate with this weak, overworked rubbish.

I thought about writing "literally use it three times" above, as a joke, but my wife is currently preparing lunch, and I didn't want to ruin my appetite. ;-)

Last edited:

SueC

Staff member
Senior Mentor
I got one - "absolutely." This word is said by newscasters 1000 times in every interview. This word is said to imply agreement with whatever the person before them has said.

Person: "The grass is green."
Newscaster: "Absolutely! I noticed that."

Person: "You are a jerk."
Newscaster: "Absolutely! I was going to say that I am a jerk."

200.gif

LOL. :)

Phil Istine

WF Veterans
three (or other suitable number) times smaller/lighter/nearer etc. than

If you mean one third (or other suitable fraction) of the size/weight/distance etc., just say so instead of trying to reinvent the laws of physics.
I regard it as fine if the comparison is, for example, three times larger etc. than

BrandonTheWriter

I got one - "absolutely." This word is said by newscasters 1000 times in every interview. This word is said to imply agreement with whatever the person before them has said.

Person: "The grass is green."
Newscaster: "Absolutely! I noticed that."

Person: "You are a jerk."
Newscaster: "Absolutely! I was going to say that I am a jerk."

200.gif

LOL. :)

That's a good one.

I would perhaps use it in dialogue but I would struggle to find a place for it otherwise. There are just some words that really don't sound good in a story.

Another word I would not use is Wholesome. The site Reddit has a fascination with that word.

EternalGreen

Basically

Basically is bollocks. It's rarely used correctly. Basically, only use it when referring to something that is basic - not because you can't be arsed to think of a better word.

So "The paint is basically oil," would be a correct usage because the paint is oil-based. Or: "She drew basically," would be correct as well since her drawing is basic.

Gofa

Friends of WF
Suck it and see

its cultural 1950s fruit drops with white sugar coating

what flavour is this one

suck it and see

fifty shades of grey retired this