Writing Forums

Writing Forums is a privately-owned, community managed writing environment. We provide an unlimited opportunity for writers and poets of all abilities, to share their work and communicate with other writers and creative artists. We offer an experience that is safe, welcoming and friendly, regardless of your level of participation, knowledge or skill. There are several opportunities for writers to exchange tips, engage in discussions about techniques, and grow in your craft. You can also participate in forum competitions that are exciting and helpful in building your skill level. There's so much more for you to explore!

2012 NaNoWrimo Kickoff Thread: Are You Ready to Rummmmmble? (1 Viewer)

Foxee

Patron
Patron
Greetings fellow Wrimos. As you are (hopefully) aware NaNoWriMo starts in about eight hours from when I write this post.

So are you ready or are you suffering panic?

Do you have your entire novel outlined or are you going to run down the hallway screaming and painting the walls as you go?

Are you finding new ways to procrastinate?

Feel free to share your anticipation/agony/frustration/cookies here!

As for me, I've got my novel idea and I keep spending too much time playing around with the goofy little cover I made for on the Nano Website. GREAT use of my time when I could be, oh, I don't know...planning what I'm going to write. The good thing is, when I procrastinate on this it's sometimes by putting in some more words on the WF 10th Anniversary Challenge story because somebody has to give Potty a run for his money!

CJ Tomlinson

I was panicking like crazy yesterday, but today I started and it's not as bad as I thought. This time I'm using a fairly uncomplicated plot and broad outline, which seems to make it easier.

Only problems I have so far is choosing out of three titles, and struggling with whether or not the twist i have planned is a good idea.

LET'S WIN THIS THINGGGG

Foxee

Patron
Patron
Yay! One other brave soul. Good luck with choosing a title, I found that to be a struggle until I hit on the right one by accident.

I fell asleep at about 10 last night with a notebook in my lap and pen and flashlight in hand while writing up notes for my nanonovel. As a result I woke up at 5 am for the first time in a long time, completely awake and ready to write. Wish every morning could be like this!

CJ Tomlinson

Yay! One other brave soul. Good luck with choosing a title, I found that to be a struggle until I hit on the right one by accident.

I fell asleep at about 10 last night with a notebook in my lap and pen and flashlight in hand while writing up notes for my nanonovel. As a result I woke up at 5 am for the first time in a long time, completely awake and ready to write. Wish every morning could be like this!

Thankya!

Sounds heavenly :'-) Moments like that are what makes nano special, winning is almost secondary! And I'm not just saying that because I didn't finish last time :cool:

May the rest of your writing sessions be as glorious as your first and may the end result make you weep with joy!

Foxee

Patron
Patron
Why ty, ty, I wish rapturous writing, endless caffeine, and an inspiring plot for you as well!

CJ Tomlinson

Thank ya :)

So far i've gotten 1000 words down. My modem chose a beautiful time to give out so now i'm mainly writing on my phone in Evernote... Which was the plan anyway, but having a pc really helps too.

Gonna fight on till my off day and hopefully rack up a ton of words then!

How's it goin' on your end? :0

Foxee

Patron
Patron
Holy cow, CJ, you're not doing things the easy way, are you? Hope you can maybe get a modem replacement in a timely manner! And...I think you'll kick NaNo's rear. Go for it!

I'm up to 5,655 words, banking them like crazy because I know I'll have days when I don't get to write anything. If you want to add me as a buddy on the NaNo site I'm Fox_in_socks.

(and, yes, I do put on Writing Socks because toasty warm feet are great)

egpenny

I have 5773 for a two day total, Foxee I'm in awe, 5655 in one day. Wow! Good luck to everybody! Penny

Foxee

Patron
Patron
Thanks, egpenny, actually that was a two-day total for me, though so you beat me! :) The one who blows my mind is someone on my Buddies list who had over 10,000 words by the time they were done with the second day. I haven't looked at their total today yet but I've no doubt it is still skyrocketing upward.

CJ Tomlinson

Foxee your synopsis is sooo intriguing! I'm still waiting on my new modem so i can sync, I'm not sure what my word count is but i know i'm falling behind! After realizing that the twist i have in mind might not work I've started feeling less pressure oddly though, so it's going better. I need some socks!

And eg that's awesome! I really need to fit in more time to ramp up my daily totals :/

How about some excerpts and favorite bits you've all got so far :D

Foxee

Patron
Patron
Thanks CJ, the excerpt that I have up on the Nano site is pretty much the only one I want to share at the moment. With my son home from school for a couple of days and the time change messing up the kids' sleeping habits I'm not getting much done myself.

Socks are very inspiring, trust me!

Just keep on keepin' on...that's what NaNo is all about. Unfortunately they picked a lousy month for it. :p

Gargh

WF Veterans
Do you have your entire novel outlined or are you going to run down the hallway screaming and painting the walls as you go?

Hi, this is my first year and I went for the latter option, having only remembered about it on the 31st October! Way to give myself a baptism of fire eh? Nice to read about other people's experiences because I can't always get out to the write-ins near me. I'm managing the word count each day but trying not to push myself any further so that I still have something to write about the next day!!! Surviving on a diet of super noodles and curly wurlys. Good luck! :grin:

I started out really good but I have staggered (sp?) a bit more than I would like! I'm trying to do this without a computer so that's a real challenge!

Foxee

Patron
Patron
Gargh: Yeah, I'm feeling that same firey baptism. I had a nice lead but it's gone now, oh well, maybe I'll get it back. Mm, noodles.

Being: If you're doing this on a hard copy, how will you verify your word count on NaNo? or are you just keeping track for your own amusement?

Gargh

WF Veterans
Being: If you're doing this on a hard copy, how will you verify your word count on NaNo? or are you just keeping track for your own amusement?

That's what intrigues me too... are you borrowing a computer or are you hardcore and typing/writing it out? If so, how do you go back and remove all the contractions successfully at the end of the day when you realise your word count is short... oh wait, that might just be me! My Grandmother was a professional typist and used to type up people's PhD. works and I remember holding them and looking at them as a child. I was so impressed by the feel of that tissuey thin waxy paper and the way the letters were punched out, the way the pages were bound. Boring as the theses were they were so tactile, so I like the idea of completing offline but then you get none of the glory of having 'Winner' stamped all over your profile :grin:

Yes! That's what I'm sort of tormented with. My word count isn't nearly as high as it should be for me to actually succeed. So I guess I'm not formally doing it this year (I'm only about 6 or 7K.). I combine it by using my computer at work at lunch time (I get a half hour lunch) and then I take a bus home and I'm on there for about 45 minutes and I can type up to 500 to 600 words using my cell phone. So, I usually get about 1,200 words in a day.

I lose motivation on the weekends, though, as odd as that sounds.

Foxee

Patron
Patron
Losing motivation on weekends sounds pretty normal, there's usually something else happening at that point. If you can write 500-600 words at a time on your cell phone and write out longhand I'm impressed by your perseverance. Seems like novel-writing is more like a marathon than a sprint so sticking with it until you have a manuscript is the name of the game. Even if you don't make it to 50,000 words by Nov. 30th you'll still have more words on the page than if you hadn't done it at all. 1,200 a day is sure better than nothing. :)

Foxee

Patron
Patron
Okay, so I've fallen behind on my word count and my stats say I'll finish this beast on Dec. 14 if I keep going like this. One of the great things about NaNo, though, is sometimes I find out I can do something I had no idea that I could do.

I used to think that writing 1,000 words was a LOT and I found out that with the Write or Die tool I could get 500 words out in 15 mins. I just now blew myself away by sitting down with it and writing 1,045 words in 20 minutes.

I can't say that they're particularly brilliant words but I'm still amazed!

How is everyone else doing on NaNo? Still persevering? In despair? Done already?

Gargh

WF Veterans
I've been hitting the target every day apart from the last two when my sister and her family came to stay. I tried to get a few hundred words done in the last wee hours of the evening but it's sooooooo hard with a three and a five year old who won't go to bed because it's all so exciting for them. Oh and an eight month old dalmatian puppy! I wanted to get ahead before they came but it never happened. Now I've got 3000 words to do to catch up for today and all I can think about is the mess and the names of care bears they forced me to drag out of my subconscious. Chaos. So far though it's not been toooo bad. I have included an awful lot of dialogue though which helps. I did have one fab hour where I got all 1700 done in one go and funnily enough it was one where I had no distractions - not even music. Strange eh?

Keep at it. I think it will be more than worth it :icon_colors:

Last edited: