Writing Forums

Writing Forums is a privately-owned, community managed writing environment. We provide an unlimited opportunity for writers and poets of all abilities, to share their work and communicate with other writers and creative artists. We offer an experience that is safe, welcoming and friendly, regardless of your level of participation, knowledge or skill. There are several opportunities for writers to exchange tips, engage in discussions about techniques, and grow in your craft. You can also participate in forum competitions that are exciting and helpful in building your skill level. There's so much more for you to explore!

1st person narrative in romantic stories (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lyra Laurant

In short, the fantasy story I'm writing is a about a (male) faerie who tried to deceive a human girl, but got deceived by her, resulting in a contract because of which he will die in three months. The main plot was about him trying to get rid of the contract, but I decided to make the romantic subplot as important as it -- of course the hero falls in love with the girl, and breaking the contract puts her life in danger.

The story is told by the male point of view, in 1st person narrative. It is working well and I don't think I'll change it, but I realized most of romantic stories in 1st person are told by the female POV.
I think there are good reasons for that, because the female readers may connect easier with the heroin. On the other hand, I think a love story told by the male perspective has some advantages too.

What are your thoughts on it? :D

Do you think female readers may not feel close to the heroin if it's the guy who is telling the story?
Or they can assume the heroin is feeling what they would feel, and knowing the guy's thoughts is more interesting?
Or none? :)

bookmasta

WF Veterans
Personally even though I don't write romance, I would do it in a third person pov around the two main characters who fall for each other so you get both views rather than one.

gmehl

As a non-romance reader, my guess is that romance is often in female POV because the overwhelming majority of readers are women, and they identify with the gender. I don't think many guys read romance, so if you use a male POV you may be hampering your readership. On the other hand, "rules" are meant to be broken and old maxims tested -- so if you think you have a winner, see it through and find out if it's marketable. :)

wolfgirl

I personally find first person easier to write in I think you have a great idea and having it in the mans point of view it would connect with males and the girls would be able to see what a man would do for a girl

Skodt

WF Veteran
WF Veterans
Men are weird. During love making we are even more strange. I am not saying we can't be romantic, but from a guys point of view we are weird. Writing it being a girl, you will not catch men's totally perverse thoughts. It will come off as forced. Women will love it. Men will be like hmm, guess that could work. Again I am not saying we do not think flattering thoughts, or thoughts of love, we also just throw in things that maybe aren't suitable. :-k

Lyra Laurant

Thanks for sharing your opinions, guys! :D

Well, in the particular case of this story, I would just kill it if I changed to the girl's point of view, for many different reasons -- some of them being the fact the faerie guy is the protagonist and his story is much more interesting than hers.

But, in further romances I may write, I will probably follow the traditional and "safer" way! XD

Jeko

WF Veterans
I have a general dislike for the entire romance genre - especially YA romance - mainly because of its shallow conventions. By deviating from the norm you may end up restoring some of my faith in the genre. :)

If you can make the female character strongly relatable, you don't have to be in her perspective for female characters to connect to your work. In fact, creating distance between the reader and the character they relate most to is an effective way of making a page turner.

Skodt

WF Veteran
WF Veterans
Thanks for sharing your opinions, guys! :D

Well, in the particular case of this story, I would just kill it if I changed to the girl's point of view, for many different reasons -- some of them being the fact the faerie guy is the protagonist and his story is much more interesting than hers.

But, in further romances I may write, I will probably follow the traditional and "safer" way! XD

There is a scene in A wise Man Fear's by Patrick Rothfuss. It is a love scene between a human male and a woman fairy. It is the second book in the series, but they are both really good books. I recommend the scene it shows how to detail, without detailing too much.

Lyra Laurant

I have a general dislike for the entire romance genre - especially YA romance - mainly because of its shallow conventions. By deviating from the norm you may end up restoring some of my faith in the genre. :)

If you can make the female character strongly relatable, you don't have to be in her perspective for female characters to connect to your work. In fact, creating distance between the reader and the character they relate most to is an effective way of making a page turner.

The funny thing is, I'm not a big fan of romance books either. LOL. Most of them look all the same to me. Maybe this is why I'm writing the romance I would like to read (come on! a fight with swords is much more exciting to me than a guy saying how much he loves the girl all the time).
Of course, there is always a risk in trying things which deviates from what we already know that sells well. ^^'

There is a scene in A wise Man Fear's by Patrick Rothfuss. It is a love scene between a human male and a woman fairy. It is the second book in the series, but they are both really good books. I recommend the scene it shows how to detail, without detailing too much.

I don't know if it was published in my country, but I'll take a look if I have the chance! :)

1st Spear

Im a guy, and i mostly read military related stuff. I had never read a single romance novel... until 'the host' movie caught my attention. I read the book and it was good enough for me to read it all (almost 650 pages) in less than two days. Its written entirely from her point of view.

Why was I enthralled by it? 1-Good writing 2-Non cliche themes and 3-it was a multi-genre, so even though i was a little bored at the romance parts, I knew that i had something to look forward to once those parts were over.

So, to answer your questions...
If a guy can enjoy a story written from a woman/teenage girls point of view, then I think the opposite is also possible.
And initial emotional reactions to something are pretty universal, regardless of gender. If the character would feel something other than the norm, for whatever reason, then its up to you as the writer to convey what and why.

Greimour

WF Veterans
1) It is your baby, your creation, your passion, and how you steer it should not be driven by demand.
2) There is always the possibility that the strange, unique way in which you are approaching the subject may catch on.
Agree totally.

You are female, right? Put yourself first as your reader... when someone writes, and this is pretty much the entire writing population as best I understand it, the writer is sharing something they are connected with. They are creating a world that is their own, people and beliefs and love and all other manner of things. You are pretty much a god in regards to whatever you are writing. Cupid, Fate, God, Saviour etc... you are all of those things and more. But does that come to mind when you are writing, or are you truly enjoying living in the life of your characters? Do you connect with them? Do you love them? If you do, then why shouldn't others? A writer first writes for his or her self... after it is completed, the revised, edited and reworked piece is done, because being the kind and benevolent being you are; you decide to share your creation with the rest of your species.

I don't think females will find it harder to connect to the male point of view. If anything, it will be more intrigueing. Obviously it will largely depend on your writing abilities, but it is not a concern you should take on. Enjoy your story, live it, tell it and complete it.

I personally find first person easier to write in I think you have a great idea and having it in the mans point of view it would connect with males and the girls would be able to see what a man would do for a girl

This is where intrigue comes in. Despite what Skodt said about men being weird and perverse ... I already know with absolute certainty that women are the same and more often than not are actually worse. They just hide it better than men.

I am not a romance reader, but many of my the females in my family are. I could ask my mother of her opinion, but I already know the opinion of one female cousin. She likes first person narration more (considering the books on her shelf) but two books (one that looked like she had read it enough times to destroy it and one currently being read at the time) were male perspective. So :encouragement: go for it :D

Edit - Note ::

Don't under-estimate emotions of a man. They may seem heartless and just out for one thing, but if we counted up... how many women write a love poem and give it to a man - in comparison to how many men do for a women (throughout all history and including current date) to say who writes more poetry, women or men, none could answer, truly; but it is almost always the man that writes the poem for the girl he likes.

Likewise it is more often the man who writes a love song for the girl, where the female more often writes about a broken heart or a love song in general and not to a specific person. (Taylor Swift potentially being the exception whilst simultaneously an example of that statement)...

Men more than women take their love interest out for a meal or out in general (not always, for sure, especially in this day and age, but the majority i believe still result in the male taking out the female) ... To believe it is all for "one thing" is a falsehood. Men too are seeking lifelong companionship and love, but they are also afraid of it...

So...

... Giving a male P.O.V in a romance can be soppy enough to make a woman vomit, or; macho enough for a reader to want magic powers, so that she can dive in the book and slap him silly... the range given by male P.O.V over a female one is much broader and includes anything to everything that a female p.o.v may have. < my opinion.

Also, main character is a faerie; so target audience is ??? YA Female? Meaning, the graphic content of the book isn't going to reach extremes anyway, so seriously - no concerns! :D

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.