Writing Forums

Writing Forums is a privately-owned, community managed writing environment. We provide an unlimited opportunity for writers and poets of all abilities, to share their work and communicate with other writers and creative artists. We offer an experience that is safe, welcoming and friendly, regardless of your level of participation, knowledge or skill. There are several opportunities for writers to exchange tips, engage in discussions about techniques, and grow in your craft. You can also participate in forum competitions that are exciting and helpful in building your skill level. There's so much more for you to explore!

19th century Literature (1 Viewer)

aliceedelweiss

I'd like to read something from this time period. I've only read a few books from this era, but I want more. I really like Oscar Wilde and I'm currently reading The Count of Monte Cristo but I'd like to have something next in line.

Any suggestions?
Alice

Atom

Anything and everything by Jules Verne. Journey to the Centre of the Earth is one of my alltime favorites. You don't really get to see what the culture is like of that time period though.

Stewart

Charles Dickens
Thomas Hardy
Jane Austen
Emily Bronte
Ann Bronte
Charlotte Bronte
HG Wells (early novels)
Jerome K. Jerome
Knut Hamsun
Bram Stoker
Henry James
Oscar Wilde
Mary Shelley
Robert Louis Stevenson
Sir Walter Scott
Elizabeth Gaskell

And that's just a few. ;)

Mishka

All of the above, AND

George Eliot
Emile Zola
Gustav Flaubert
Wilkie Collins

I studied the 19th Century novel last year, and it's an absolutely fascinating period in literature :)

xx

Stewart

Whoops, had Wilkie Collins in mind but forgot to mention him. Then there's John Buchan, Guy de Maupassant, Conan Doyle, Tolstoy, Victor Hugo, and Anton Chekhov.

Shawn

WF Veterans
It was published in this last century but it is based in the 19th century... try Murder on the Orient Express.

Users who are viewing this thread