Opening Line Prompts

Thread: Opening Line Prompts

Opening Line Prompts

While I was on Twitter, I started a hashtag I called Story Starters that were basically opening line prompts. I thought something like that could be fun to do here. They can be used as is anywhere in a story or just as inspiration. I'll start with a couple to get things going.

The Inner Circle of Hell is being locked within one's own mind.

In the junkyard he was a god, creating life from the bits and pieces others thought were useless.
    The dreamer doesn't know me. My name doesn't slip from their tongue. Their eyes haven't stared upon my face. Yet, I'm there.

Fun idea! I'll toss a few out there.

- Her leg was the first thing to disappear, vanishing just below her knee, in a puff of smoke.

- He heard it in the living room, in his bathroom, even through the floorboards under his bed.

My latest was:

"You'll recognize this truth: From time to time in your life, you make a mistake when you know better."

But it's really a set up for the whole opening:

"You'll recognize this truth: From time to time in your life, you make a mistake when you know better. You didn't take the precaution you knew to take. You didn't follow the rule you made for yourself and it cost you. You fantasize about returning to that moment and doing it the right way. But you can't, and you have to live with it.

I almost failed to live."
    Friend of Writing Forums

- Every fall his skin turned various splendid shades and fell away like the leaves.

- For Crest Falls to maintain its small town charm required a large cemetery.
    The dreamer doesn't know me. My name doesn't slip from their tongue. Their eyes haven't stared upon my face. Yet, I'm there.

Jackson leapt out of bed, placing his feet where the floor should be.
    What comes after the NaPo storm of poetry?
    Get ready for the
    May 2021 Collaborator Challenge.

Send your potential partner a fruit basket and start begging!