The description game

Thread: The description game

The description game

Describe one of the following:

1. Being in a forest on a warm summer day.
    2. Riding a motorcycle or driving a car with the windows down across the desert in mid-summer.
    3. Sitting on the beach.

It doesn't have to be perfect or even pretty. No one gets graded or criticized.

Then add another scene for someone else to describe.
    My entry: #1.
    He leaned against a massive redwood tree stump, noticing that the ax marks were still visible even though the tree was fallen nearly a hundred years ago. Its ancestors surrounded him; dappled amber sunlight fell between their branches, painting the forest floor with shifting patterns that danced to the creaking song of the trunks swaying gently in the warm summer breeze.

The morning began warm but sunless. Rain was
    in the forecast and gray clouds had rolled in over
    the city during the night guided by the southern
    winds. Sundays are the best time for a ride and
    today was perfect for the windows down.
    Heading West on I90, the sun struggling behind
    me, windows open with my arm resting on the door,
    and the 80mph wind vortex spinning threw the car.
    Long strands of hair flying across my glasses,
    sometimes stinging my face then suddenly swirling
    above my head. I love the wind.
    •~~•~~•~~•~~•~~•~~•
    ‘Every man is guilty
    of all the good he did not do’

Voltaire

The sulphury smell of the ocean and the squawk of the seagulls above, put my mind at ease as I watch the familiar repetition of the waves. A spectrum of rich cerulean blues, leading up to a delicate seafoam green. I dig my feet into the warm sand and watch the tiny crystals glisten as they roll over them. The sun feels good. There is no place I would rather be...

4. A busy cafe

Last edited by Taylor; April 12th, 2021 at 01:57 PM.
    Sometimes in the waves of change we find our new direction...
    - unknown

Quote Originally Posted by Taylor View Post
    The sulphury smell of the ocean and the squawk of the seagulls above, put my mind at ease as I watch the familiar repetition of the waves. A spectrum of rich cerulean blues, leading up to a delicate seafoam green. I dig my feet into the warm sand and watch the tiny crystals glisten as they roll over them. The sun feels good. There is no place I would rather be...

4. A busy cafe
    Nice!

The rapid staccato of Italian conversations swam about him and the air was scented with the warm and pleasantly pungent smell of rich coffee. He stepped closer to the bar, where the hissing espresso machines delivered their heavenly brew into tiny ceramic cups. “Un cappuccino per favore,” he muttered, hoping to be understood. The barista nodded; his cigarette was balanced precariously on his lip, and whenever he spoke, ashes flew.
    After receiving his order, he sat at an outdoor table, sipping the mild, comforting coffee, while watching shoppers stroll along the ancient cobblestone road, smelling and tasting past centuries with each sip.

Note: I started this thread because it's an exercise I do when riding my motorcycles.

5. A night camping in the woods.
    Last edited by indianroads; April 13th, 2021 at 01:51 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by TuesdayEve View Post
    The morning began warm but sunless. Rain was
    in the forecast and gray clouds had rolled in over
    the city during the night guided by the southern
    winds. Sundays are the best time for a ride and
    today was perfect for the windows down.
    Heading West on I90, the sun struggling behind
    me, windows open with my arm resting on the door,
    and the 80mph wind vortex spinning threw the car.
    Long strands of hair flying across my glasses,
    sometimes stinging my face then suddenly swirling
    above my head. I love the wind.
    Beautiful. Perfectly captured the moment.

Quote Originally Posted by indianroads View Post
    Nice!

The rapid staccato of Italian conversations swam about him and the air was scented with the warm and pleasantly pungent smell of rich coffee. He stepped closer to the bar, where the hissing espresso machines delivered their heavenly brew into tiny ceramic cups. “Un cappuccino per favore,” he muttered, hoping to be understood. The barista nodded; his cigarette was balanced precariously on his lip, and whenever he spoke, ashes flew.
    After receiving his order, he sat at an outdoor table, sipping the mild, comforting coffee, while watching shoppers stroll along the ancient cobblestone road, smelling and tasting past centuries with each sip.
    Ooh, love this. Scents are a great thing to stir into description.
    5. A night camping in the woods.
    When the lady screamed in the dark I stopped breathing and wished very hard that there was more between my precious self and the scream than thin nylon. The moonlit material wafted in the damp breath of the woods. A popsicle in flannel, I tried to sink even further into my sleeping bag and then felt not good at all to be lying down when something was making the woman scream.

The scream came again, I could smell my own sweat mingled with last night's campfire smoke. The other sleeping bag rustled and that was the one thing that kept me from bolting or maybe just dying right there from being so scared.

Cold stuffy air in the tent felt wet, laden with condensation. Rocks and pebbles had long since seemed to be working their way through the layers below me.

Next up: Describe a long wait for a bus.
    What comes after the NaPo storm of poetry?
    Get ready for the
    May 2021 Collaborator Challenge.

Send your potential partner a fruit basket and start begging!