Crimes Against Characters: 'Fess Up Here - Page 3

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Crimes Against Characters: 'Fess Up Here

If my characters could do something about all the atrocities I've put them through, I'd be put on trial for crimes against humanity (and several other species) as a literary Oskar Dirlewanger.

Since most of my fiction takes place in a military setting, my crimes against characters generally tend to involve plenty of nasty combat violence, wanton and arbitrary slaughter and abuse of non-combatants and good old-fashioned pillage and rape.

Quote Originally Posted by CyberWar View Post
    If my characters could do something about all the atrocities I've put them through, I'd be put on trial for crimes against humanity (and several other species) as a literary Oskar Dirlewanger.

Since most of my fiction takes place in a military setting, my crimes against characters generally tend to involve plenty of nasty combat violence, wanton and arbitrary slaughter and abuse of non-combatants and good old-fashioned pillage and rape.
    Classic violence can be relied on for any timeline, I think.

Definitely we will be keeping an eye on you, CyberWar
    What comes after the NaPo storm of poetry?
    Get ready for the
    May 2021 Collaborator Challenge.

Send your potential partner a fruit basket and start begging!

Quote Originally Posted by Foxee View Post
    That's the kind of character who has me positively rooting for someone to kill her off.
    If the characters kill her, they'll never get the twins back. Her death would be the end of the twins.

Killing her could possibly trigger a power struggle within the Elven government and gain the characters powerful enemies. The villain is the Chief Executioner of the Throne. She kills by draining the life of her victim for its energy. The characters have tough choices before them.

Best part? Story was part of a role playing campaign. It was personal for the players and their reactions were very strong.

Quote Originally Posted by CyberWar View Post
    A good sacking always spices things up.

I drowned a character in piss today. I'm on a roll.

Gave a character a great childhood and a promising future, only to have it torn from her and forced into torturous sex slavery after her boyfriend got into debt with the wrong people and couldn't pay up. That character was then left for dead after rebelling against her captors, scraped up by an enigmatic AI with designs of world domination, and turned into a heavily armed and armoured cyborg. There she became a violent killing machine, her sole purpose in life being to wreak a horrible, bloody vengeance against everyone who wronged her - and the society whose weaknesses permitted her enemies to exist to begin with. Did I mention that later down the line, when she finally, finally gets the chance to live in some sense of normality after trying to restart her family, her newborn children quite literally get ripped out of her hands as part of an enemy's revenge-by-proxy plot against her soulmate?

There is, of course, the liberal amounts of destruction, torture and mass murder that follow throughout that tale. Many characters major and minor, and an untold number of redshirts, have suffered and perished throughout the grisly trail of works I've left behind.

I have to hand it to writers, lots of inventiveness.
    What comes after the NaPo storm of poetry?
    Get ready for the
    May 2021 Collaborator Challenge.

Send your potential partner a fruit basket and start begging!

I was writing a conflict between my MC and a man trying to assault and kidnap her, and I knew she was going to kill him, but as I wrote, it went in a direction that I certainly didn't plan. It's maybe the grossest thing I've done to a character:

(Dagan is a shapeshifter and the MC uses magic she doesn't know how to control on him)
    Dagan was now howling in pain on the floor next to me, his body writhing. His skin wasn’t just shimmering or rippling, it was ripping and bleeding. Bones were shifting and ejecting themselves all over his body just to come back together and fuse in some indiscernible pattern. After just a few horrifying seconds, his screams stopped because his face had melted into the rest of his body. His form continued to mutate and implode for a few more horrifying moments. It finally ended as the surface coagulated into a squelchy looking pink lump the size of Labrador – minus the legs and head.

I've peeled characters, sliced characters, turned them inside out, and while doing it, thought of the people who have wronged me ... especially the maths teacher.
    Craft / Draft / Graft And Write To Entertain.

Ended a novel with all the main characters, including a child, being shot to death on a country road by hitmen.

Sent from my SM-A205U using Tapatalk

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast