What really gets you excited about your writing? - Page 3

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: What really gets you excited about your writing?

Quote Originally Posted by bazz cargo View Post
    The nice thing about writing is you have an infinite budget. Crashing spaceships, setting fire to villages, stampeding grilda goats, it's fun to go wild.
    Ok, I see what you mean now. It's like an explosion of creativity. You've given me an idea to do this in a financial way in my next novel. Like a worldwide run on the banks. That could be fun!
    Sometimes in the waves of change we find our new direction...
    - unknown

Quote Originally Posted by Taylor View Post
    Oh yes, I know the feeling! It's harder to do that when you’re writing a novel. However, I already have the sequel and prequel in my head...lol!

Have you thought about the story for your novel yet?
    I have. It's using the same character from 'The Gunslinger.' Temporarily called 'The Sixth Chamber'.
    Craft / Draft / Graft And Write To Entertain.

Quote Originally Posted by TheMightyAz View Post
    I have. It's using the same character from 'The Gunslinger.' Temporarily called 'The Sixth Chamber'.
    That's a great idea to spin off one of your successful stories. A character that you already know and love...

Great title too!
    - unknown

That's a great idea to spin off one of your successful stories. A character that you already know and love...

Great title too!
    I may actually write the first chapter after Apparition (if I ever finish the darned thing). It's self contained and works as a short.
    Craft / Draft / Graft And Write To Entertain.

Quote Originally Posted by TheMightyAz View Post
    I may actually write the first chapter after Apparition (if I ever finish the darned thing). It's self contained and works as a short.
    How exciting!!! Another novelist to support.
    - unknown

Quote Originally Posted by indianroads View Post
    Try 'Departure'; it was my third book so it's a better written than the first two.
    I just finished Departure. Highly recommend it!
    Okay! I just downloaded it to my Kindle. Looks like fun!
    What comes after the NaPo storm of poetry?
    Get ready for the
    May 2021 Collaborator Challenge.

Send your potential partner a fruit basket and start begging!

Quote Originally Posted by Foxee View Post
    Okay! I just downloaded it to my Kindle. Looks like fun!
    Thanks! I hope you enjoy it!

Lol...it was in relation to "blowing things up." But I think I get it now after bazz cargos post...it's mostly bad. It's not something I have imagined writing, but I'm thinking about it now. If I could do it in a financial way, that would be fun for my Sequel.
    One of my favorite spy characters is Fiona in Burn Notice who is ex-IRA and always has a stash of C-4 and guns. She can make explosive devices out of darned near anything and saves Michael Weston's bacon regularly. (Michael is the burned spy and title character).

So yep, I'm talking about literal explosions. And in the series the explosions are tools the team uses to get things done. There are explosions that don't attain a goal or are an enemy's attack against them. Pretty easy to figure 'good' and 'bad' in the context of the scene.

As for what excites me about my own writing, it's that moment when I read back over something I've written and it isn't horrible.

Quote Originally Posted by indianroads View Post
    Thanks! I hope you enjoy it!
    So far so good!
    What comes after the NaPo storm of poetry?
    Get ready for the
    May 2021 Collaborator Challenge.

Send your potential partner a fruit basket and start begging!

Quote Originally Posted by Foxee View Post
    One of my favorite spy characters is Fiona in Burn Notice who is ex-IRA and always has a stash of C-4 and guns. She can make explosive devices out of darned near anything and saves Michael Weston's bacon regularly. (Michael is the burned spy and title character).
    We were also big Burn Notice fans, although I thought the last couple of seasons drifted away from what made the first few seasons fun. Those first few seasons reminded me of the 80s series Stingray with Nick Mancuso, in that both characters traded favors with people who needed help and were in over their head.

So now I have to tie this in to the thread's premise or I've just digressed into our Burn Notice fan club.

What excites me about my writing is what excites me about any writing ... clever solutions to interesting situations. Both of those shows had clever solutions each episode.

I'm certainly not claiming to come up with them constantly, but I find a few in every book. Some I really have to work for. About this time last year I came up with a very nasty problem for my MC, and no solution was making sense. I was wondering if I'd have to change the problem. It took two days of thinking, but I finally came up with a solution I could sell to myself, and that's important. If I don't fully buy into the solution, why would I expect a reader to? In my last completed I had a problem I discussed here. A foe was clairvoyant. How do you create a plan to defeat someone who already knows what you are going to plan? Again I thought for two days and came up with a solution, then as I wrote the scene a better solution popped into my head. LOL I was in the middle of writing the first solution, so I let the same thing happen for my MC. He was thinking one thing, suddenly had the new thought, decided it was the solution, so he switched over.

There are a lot of things I enjoy while writing. Sometimes I write cute or clever dialogue, and that's fun to do. I'm interested in a book's premise or I wouldn't start writing it in the first place. Now that I've learned to finish, I get a real charge out of coming down the home stretch and getting to that last line. But when I look back at what I like best about a book I wrote, the things I'm always the most proud of are when I come up with a surprising (and viable!) solution to a problem I'm hoping is worrying the heck out of a reader.
    Last edited by vranger; April 8th, 2021 at 01:50 PM.
    Friend of Writing Forums

I watch videos discussing different topics about "Harry Potter". That motivates me to write. In fact, people have compared my books to "Harry Potter" numerous times.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123