(dog owners need your help) Need Help with Getting a Puppy to eat its own food

Thread: (dog owners need your help) Need Help with Getting a Puppy to eat its own food

(dog owners need your help) Need Help with Getting a Puppy to eat its own food

We are considering a dog trainer to discipline our dog. I wanted to know what strategies anyone may know concerning when a dog doesn't eat its dog food for 3-4 days. My mother is always there trying to be in the same place as the dog to encourage it. Any ideas on how to fix this situation. She only likes our food (human food since it has spices I assume). Also, she (the dog) doesn't eat anything my previous dog would eat. She is a puppy still, but has 7 months or close to that. So I need ideas for dogs that dislike dog food and refuse to eat it. We have given it royal canine, eukanuba (not sure on this one if we did), dog food with made from salmon, chicken. We have gotten no results. She will fast for 4 days and then we hope she eats her own dog food which she does not. The problem remains. We also try to deny her any bones to chew. We also try to if she doesn't eat for a long time to give her food from the table. She is a pure breed Pomeranian that is 6-7 months old.

Any common sense advice that has worked for people to stop this problem from reoccurring? We gave her some food that is suitable for puppies.

Mixing food has had mixed results after 4 days. Because then she will eat her dog food I observed. She never seems hungry and skips meals just to have a tasty morsel as a treat from her "human masters." However, the next day she will only eat the bits of meat of some of the food we use. If there are chicken strips for puppies mixed in sauce which is bite chunked.

What brands or strategies do you recommend now that we are in this brand-new situation? She basically needs to be hand fed sometimes because she refuses to eat. She respects my mother more that she respects me to try to coax her to eat her own food. That is my mother needs to be present at that time when she needs to eat her 3 meals.
    Last edited by Theglasshouse; April 4th, 2021 at 02:39 AM.
    I would follow as in believe in the words of good moral leaders. Rather than the beliefs of oneself.
    The most difficult thing for a writer to comprehend is to experience silence, so speak up. (quoted from a member)

First, get a brand with a good reputation, and good nutrition. If you have been feeding kibble, you can try canned (wet) food, to see if that suits her delicate tastes.

Do NOT give in and feed the dog from the table. That's only enforcing undesirable behavior.

Sometimes when a dog refuses to eat, it's a sign of a medical problem, and it's probably worth one trip to the vet just to let them make sure no health issue is involved. There probably isn't, but you're better safe than sorry, because you're about to use the "eat it or else" method of solving this problem. Put the food down for a reasonable period of time, then take it back up. The dog will eat when it gets hungry enough. This may be more difficult if you've already trained the dog to expect an alternate food source ... your own food from the table. In more than 30 years of dog ownership, we have never, and I mean NEVER, fed dogs table scraps. Not only does it produce bad habits in the dog, your human table scraps are not nutritionally balanced. Good dog food brands are.

Also, frequently changing your dog's food in an effort to find "the right food" is not good for your dog. Their digestive process needs to GRADUALLY adjust to any new food, and is accomplished by gradually replacing the old food with the new, with both foods in combination, until the new food replaces the old. This is a process that should take two or three weeks, not "You didn't like Eukanuba yesterday, so here's a completely different brand today." Very bad for your dog.

Hiring a trainer is your family's choice, but I dislike the phrase "to discipline our dog". You can achieve virtually anything you desire in a dog with positive reinforcement and GENTLE discouragement. More rigorous forms of discipline create fear in dogs, and can lead to fear biting, retaliation, and secretive behavior. Dogs are MUCH smarter than most people realize. If you force them to hide behaviors, they will hide the behaviors and do them anyway.

Training a dog is almost never about the dog. Owners are trained on how to best interact with a dog. There are dozens of great dog (actually owner) training guides. Every dog owner needs to know how to house and crate train a dog, teach behaviors like sit, stay, and heel, discourage chewing (mostly by offering safe chewing alternatives), teach the dog to not jump up on people, and so on. These things are the product of technique and patience, not discipline.
    Friend of Writing Forums

Sorry, TGH, but it sounds as if your pup has you and your mom well trained. It seems a standard that if they get hungry enough, they will eat. Some people, years ago, used that same philosophy on children. I come from a generation where picky eaters were simply told to stay at the table until they finished that last pea (happened to me only once), or they simply had to wait until the next meal.

Getting back to dogs, though, it seems that you have a very stubborn little person there. My suggestion would be to forget about table food all together. Try mixing wet dog food with dry, heavy on the wet to begin with. Eventually, reduce the wet enough so that you are serving mostly dry.

It may take a while to accomplish this goal, but remember 1. people food is not good for dogs and especially puppies (you could wind up with a very fat pom), and 2. you are the master, not your dog.

Skip the hand feeding! Put the bowl down, make sure there's enough water. If the puppy doesn't eat, pick the food up and try again later. This will be hard, I think, for you and your mom, but believe me - if your puppy is healthy he/she will not wait forever to figure it out. Good luck!
    When the night has come
    And the land is dark
    And the moon is the only light we'll see
    I won't be afraid, no I won't be afraid
    Just as long as you stand by me.

We try to do all what you said in your post except for buying a guide for dog training. Thanks for that. Looks like hiring a dog trainer is another choice. Feeding it scraps of food is not my fault. It's my brother or father that take pity. I understand their mentality but I don't condone it. They feel some pity that it does not want to eat. It finds a bone that also counts as a scrap. Sometimes pets in other people's houses have them. Then we know it won't want to eat.

As for the brand it has the best one supposedly recommended by the vet. My mom says its not royal canine but I think that is the name of the brand.

I will tell my mom to try to stick to one food. That is to avoid canned foods. There is some meat products made for puppies that she eats but that might be spoiling her. (the dog is a female)

I agree with positive reinforcement and by discipline I didn't mean punishment (I understand the concept as it is behaviorist theory). Do you have any favorite dog training manual/manuals to recommend? Thanks vranger.

And thanks suec for helping me with addressing this worry that is in our minds. We will try what you said of letting it find its food. It does have us manipulated. It doesn't like to feel alone. We cannot leave anything on the floor simply because it will chew and subsequently eat pieces of plastic plates. If very angry at least to our understanding when it does not get what it wants. It can chew things such as a sleeping bed we bought for it. We will have to educate seriously my father, brother, and whomever works for us. We are going through a phase I hope. I know things will turn positive or I will be an optimist and I will think that it will start to eat its own food. Leaving scraps is definitely something they do which leaves us unware of why it isn't eating. I appreciate your support in addressing this problem and matter. Thanks.
    Last edited by Theglasshouse; March 29th, 2021 at 02:33 PM.
    I would follow as in believe in the words of good moral leaders. Rather than the beliefs of oneself.
    The most difficult thing for a writer to comprehend is to experience silence, so speak up. (quoted from a member)

Puppies are a lot of work. They need attention, and you have to both keep an eye on them and keep things away from them they shouldn't chew ... one reason why crate training is helpful. Your parents need to get a handle on this and make sure the family is on board with one set of rules. Having everyone treat the dog differently will make life very tough on that dog.

I don't have a recommendation on a guide. I learned all that stuff decades ago. LOL Check Amazon for guides over 4 stars and examine the previews. Most of them will be sufficient.
    Last edited by vranger; March 29th, 2021 at 04:02 PM.
    Friend of Writing Forums

I think this is the same book we had, it came from my husband's parents who had a few different dogs when he was growing up. Planning to get another copy since i don't know where the last one went.

What All Good Dogs Should Know
    What comes after the NaPo storm of poetry?
    Get ready for the
    May 2021 Collaborator Challenge.

Send your potential partner a fruit basket and start begging!

Thanks Vranger, Sue, and Foxee. I am definitely going to take in mind the book you recommended me Foxee. Thanks everyone for their advice. I am going to tell my family. I am not the one feeding scraps. I think me and my mother are the ones who are doing a good job. Then my father and brother gives it food since it barks at the table during meal times. I have told them before and strangers to no avail. But this time I will put an emphasis on it.

I tease my dog by pretending to eat from his bowl before I put it down.