Kalahari Gnomes

Thread: Kalahari Gnomes

Kalahari Gnomes

Hi - I have a great editor working on my script. She has Ninja'd it so after the trauma of corrections it is looking one heck of a lot better. A slow death of the old by a thousand salt rubbed paper cuts. Stings like heck but worth it.

If I canít get a good cover the pain was an utter waste of effort.

I was going to leave the pictures entirely to a professional but have noted that even great artists who donít read the book just donít get it and canít do the cover justice.

My own artist has not Ďgotí a friend's book so I am creating a brief using my conceptuals that I created as an aid to write.

The cover is the first essential interface. So I need something that will have that 1/2second glance advantage for a prospective buyer to lean forward and pull my book out first. (Have you browsed the dragon books in stores, superb artwork but non really stand out saying "hey look at me first").

I am compiling conceptuals to send to a professional. However I am having problems:

The title. A "The Little People of the Kalahari" the word 'The' bugs me. B "Kalahari Gnomes" simple but........
    My aim is to show Africa, size of Gnomes and their activities in a momentís glance.

Show Size A or B
    Show scene A or B
    Define character A or B
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CoverCompares.jpg 
Views:	4 
Size:	40.8 KB 
ID:	26607
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Gnome1Full coversltSmall.jpg   Gnome1Full coverSmall.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by Moose.H View Post
    I am compiling conceptuals to send to a professional. However I am having problems:

The title. A "The Little People of the Kalahari" the word 'The' bugs me. B "Kalahari Gnomes" simple but........
    My aim is to show Africa, size of Gnomes and their activities in a moment’s glance.

Show Size A or B
    Show scene A or B
    Define character A or B

Name:	CoverCompares.jpg 
Views:	4 
Size:	40.8 KB 
ID:	26607
    I'm not sure whether you mean the first or second "the", but in one or perhaps both cases have you tried making it/them smaller than the rest of the text? Maybe do the same with "of the"? Maybe mess with the spacing? Maybe make Kalahari the largest. Varies it up a bit, and helps centre stage the main bit of the title; eg:

The Little People_
    of the______
    Kalahari

Wrong font, I know, and very rough, but hopefully gives you some ideas. I assume these are both potential titles for the same book. Personally I prefer "The Little People of the Kalahari".

Hidden Content Monthly Fiction Challenge

The first cut don't hurt at all
    The second only makes you wonder
    The third will have you on your knee
    s
    - Propaganda, "Duel"

Is this fire, or is this mask?
    It's the Mantasy!
    - Anonymous

Name:	CoverComparesC&D.jpg 
Views:	2 
Size:	42.9 KB 
ID:	26612Thank you for that comment.

I definitely like "The Little People of the Kalahari" better and your layout is definitely an improvement. They are gnomes and even that bugs me. Gnomes are identifiable by the Western Readers. In every culture there are little people, but in Southern Africa they are Tokeloshis and definitely not fun. I did a chapter with them in and I was told bluntly that they would cause problems with children.

Readers like the name Gnomes so....

Much appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by bdcharles View Post
    I'm not sure whether you mean the first or second "the", but in one or perhaps both cases have you tried making it/them smaller than the rest of the text? Maybe do the same with "of the"? Maybe mess with the spacing? Maybe make Kalahari the largest. Varies it up a bit, and helps centre stage the main bit of the title; eg:

The Little People_
    of the______
    Kalahari

Wrong font, I know, and very rough, but hopefully gives you some ideas. I assume these are both potential titles for the same book. Personally I prefer "The Little People of the Kalahari".
    Last edited by Moose.H; March 25th, 2021 at 12:11 PM. Reason: Addition

I personally prefer A. Why does it have to have the first 'the' if it bugs you? It actually reads better without it... 'Little People of the Kalahari'.
    The dreamer doesn't know me. My name doesn't slip from their tongue. Their eyes haven't stared upon my face. Yet, I'm there.