what is a way to describe a fit of laughter?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: what is a way to describe a fit of laughter?

what is a way to describe a fit of laughter?

I'm writing a scene where two bestfriends are mimicking eachother and they fall into a fit of laughter. I want to describe the scene as joyus. Can you guys help me with some ways to describe their laughter?

Quote Originally Posted by AdiaGrace View Post
    I'm writing a scene where two bestfriends are mimicking eachother and they fall into a fit of laughter. I want to describe the scene as joyus. Can you guys help me with some ways to describe their laughter?
    Gales of laughter could work, but it is in fairly common use so some would regard it as a cliché. Guffawing might work too.
    There is a handy little website called rhymezone. It's not just about rhyming words though. If you type laughter into the left-hand box and select "find descriptive words" in the right hand box, it will give you lists of words that (a) describe laughter and (b) that laughter describes. It's more fun to figure out your own words, but rhymezone is useful for when you get stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by AdiaGrace View Post
    If you remember there's a lot more to laughing than the sound that comes out of your mouth, you'll get a better handle on things. Try putting your imagination on mute and write the scene without sound but still show the two characters are in hysterics. THEN add sound.
    Craft / Draft / Graft And Write To Entertain.

Blog Entries

Write it out first time as you see it in your head. Look at the screen, put yourself into the scene and act it all out, increasing your original thirty words toward 100 words. When you are laughing on your own at the idiocy you have created then probably it is as good as you'll get in respects of joy, then you see if others can share the ride when reading your work.

If nobody does even smile when reading your extract then assume it is society's fault, you did your best, soldier.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Istine View Post
    Gales of laughter could work, but it is in fairly common use so some would regard it as a cliché. Guffawing might work too.
    There is a handy little website called rhymezone. It's not just about rhyming words though. If you type laughter into the left-hand box and select "find descriptive words" in the right hand box, it will give you lists of words that (a) describe laughter and (b) that laughter describes. It's more fun to figure out your own words, but rhymezone is useful for when you get stuck.
    If you look back in my blogs a bit, you'll see that on average, guffaw is only used once per every ten 100K word books. The problem here is that I used it twice in my last book, so some poor author is going to have to write ten books before they can even use it the first time. Makes me feel a bit selfish here.

However, you can laugh, chuckle, giggle, and snicker much more often without running afoul of the odds.

Blog Entries
    Guffaw only works if you’re referencing octogenarian fireside - breaking from his regular tempo - after your [adolescent] suggestion ‘Indeed, Abba won the battle of Waterloo..’ (example) ‘Tell me more about Napoleon?’

Quote Originally Posted by Matchu View Post
    Guffaw only works if you’re referencing octogenarian fireside - breaking from his regular tempo - after your [adolescent] suggestion ‘Indeed, Abba won the battle of Waterloo..’ (example) ‘Tell me more about Napoleon?’
    Sure, as ever the word choices would need to reflect on the focal character(s).

Remember to focus on how it feels. Tears itching as they roll down your face. Cheeks aching. A stringing cone in the abdomen if you're laughing REALLY hard and out of shape.

It depends on your voice. If you're just a regular Jill or Joe, you might say, "We cracked up! Nearly pissed our pants!" whereas if you're very proper, you might say, "Indubitably, we quaked with unfeigned mirth."
    "He's done more damage with a pen than others have with a pistol."
    Re: Federico García Lorca

Quote Originally Posted by Irwin View Post
    It depends on your voice. If you're just a regular Jill or Joe, you might say, "We cracked up! Nearly pissed our pants!" whereas if you're very proper, you might say, "Indubitably, we quaked with unfeigned mirth."
    Both of these are telling not showing, however.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast