I would have to be crazy...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I would have to be crazy...

I would have to be crazy...

Many years ago I wrote a book I had been visualizing for a decade or more. I liked it...but it was just not right. I was a new writer and my stuff was not commercial grade yet. Never sold that book, but kept a copy.

Decade later I wrote it again, from the ground up, new protagonist, 100% rewrite. I Indie-published that book. It sold like crap. It still was not right. Just wasn't right. In 2019 I unpublished it on all platforms.

So ever since, I have been filled with the urge to write it properly...for the third [email protected]#! time. I would have to be crazy to write the same book 3 times...right?

Yet the OCD in me won't let go of it. I want to tell this story properly. I want to tell the story of the unseen hand.

I should prolly take my meds.

If you love the story, do it!

Remember though, that our talents are never static. So if you rewrite it now, in another 10 years you'll want to rewrite it again.

It's *your* book and I imagine you want it to be the best it can be. I'd say go for it-- for the third time or the fifth just so you finally get it just as you want it. But remember, most of us are never quite satisfied with anything we write. Most of us forever see ways a piece could be improved. Sometimes it might be the wiser choice just to be satisfied with the last version and shoot for a new book altogether.

I like your unseen hand idea. One of my favorite magical realism pieces is about a hand that gets away from its owner and takes on a life of its own. I'm working on a short story about a woman whose eye separates from her head and causes all sorts of trouble for those around her. I guess I like the notion of body parts that separate from their owners.
    Free Download of My Chapbook: Flash Fiction: A Primer
    Hidden Content

List Stories: Lists of the Literary Kind. See my essay at Hidden Content

Something tells me you need to sticky this thread.
    Craft / Draft / Graft And Write To Entertain Yourself And The reader.

Quote Originally Posted by Ralph Rotten View Post
    Only my underwear is sticky.
    Dude... TMI.

My advice: Write a new book with that zeal.

I was just looking at a shelf in my office and saw an old zip-drive that holds books I wrote but never published nearly 40 years ago. I'm curious about those tales, but kinda frightened by the utter lack of skill in which they were written.

Maybe I have an old zip-drive reader around here... I have a feeling I shouldn't look though... what to do?

I have actually restarted the book...multiple times. I believe I even posted an alternate beginning here on the forum.
    But they are just Meh...just a plain-jane retelling of the story.
    I need to make it...more.
    I have been struggling for the vision but it always leads back to the same boring method of storytelling.

Maybe I should write it as a script?

Quote Originally Posted by indianroads View Post
    I was just looking at a shelf in my office and saw an old zip-drive that holds books I wrote but never published nearly 40 years ago. I'm curious about those tales, but kinda frightened by the utter lack of skill in which they were written.

Maybe I have an old zip-drive reader around here... I have a feeling I shouldn't look though... what to do?
    At least copy the files over to more reliable media while you decide - or write a horror story called Iomega: click of death.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast