Writing a Believable and Brutal Male vs. Female Fight Scene

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Writing a Believable and Brutal Male vs. Female Fight Scene

Writing a Believable and Brutal Male vs. Female Fight Scene

Something that I want to see more of in stories today are more Male vs. Female fight scenes. Sure we see a lot of same gender fights...male vs. male and female vs. female...but male vs. female is hard to come across for some strange reason.

Why don't we see more male vs. female fights? What can we do as writers to make them more commonplace?

Also, how do you make them believable? Let's say we have a male hero and female villain at the same height and same weight (5'7" and 160 lbs. each). Despite typical male/female biological differences, the woman could have more muscle on her (it's not impossible). Perhaps she's the better fighter and more vicious attacker. How could you write a fight scene between these two and make it believable?

A lot of times when we watch men and women fighting each other in a movie, it seems like the male actor is holding back. I think a lot of women can definitely hold their own against a male rival in a fight. Women are not all about hearts and rainbows, I think a lot have enough courage to stand up to a male opponent and obliterate his ass. Same thing as a male fighting a female opponent; she could be super intimidating to him based on her fighting style and her reputation and how she presents herself (mind games too).

Thoughts and ideas of making a proper male vs. female fight scene and making it as brutal as can be?

Quote Originally Posted by MorganaPendragon25 View Post
    Something that I want to see more of in stories today are more Male vs. Female fight scenes. Sure we see a lot of same gender fights...male vs. male and female vs. female...but male vs. female is hard to come across for some strange reason.

Why don't we see more male vs. female fights? What can we do as writers to make them more commonplace?

Also, how do you make them believable? Let's say we have a male hero and female villain at the same height and same weight (5'7" and 160 lbs. each). Despite typical male/female biological differences, the woman could have more muscle on her (it's not impossible). Perhaps she's the better fighter and more vicious attacker. How could you write a fight scene between these two and make it believable?

A lot of times when we watch men and women fighting each other in a movie, it seems like the male actor is holding back. I think a lot of women can definitely hold their own against a male rival in a fight. Women are not all about hearts and rainbows, I think a lot have enough courage to stand up to a male opponent and obliterate his ass. Same thing as a male fighting a female opponent; she could be super intimidating to him based on her fighting style and her reputation and how she presents herself (mind games too).

Thoughts and ideas of making a proper male vs. female fight scene and making it as brutal as can be?
    Sometimes I find myself thinking I'm in an alternative reality. I see nothing but females fighting males and they nearly always win. Games, films, TV series, you name it. It's so prevalent it's become a cliche at this point.
    Craft / Draft / Graft And Write To Entertain.

I've trained with world champion women fighters, and pretty much everyone of them freely admit that in a real life street combat situation they are at a strong disadvantage. The only way to win in that situation would be to land a hard first shot, then quickly take advantage and get away.

Sorry, but the sexes are not equal in all things. Women are better at something and men are better in others. Men tend to be more physically aggressive - consider domestic violence; men attack physically, while women use words and psychology. (There are exceptions, a friend that is writing an app for women DV survivors was telling me about a male being stabbed repeatedly with pencils and pens by his wife.)

The reality is that a 110 pound woman isn't likely to beat a 200 pound man in a fight - regardless of the unrealistic tripe in movies and on TV.

Blog Entries
    deleted, too close to knuckle incident.

The thing is @Morgana you should relish in the act [of writing] and write those fight scenes where the woman 'wins.' It might give you, and many readers, a lot of pleasure. So get on...

...nobody wins a fight anyway. Those awful clips where the moron attacks the trained guy. Trained guy's anguished loom over 'corpse.' Awful.
    Last edited by Matchu; March 6th, 2021 at 07:50 PM.

Believable would be one punch, she goes down.
    A man in possession of a wooden spoon must be in want of a pot to stir.

Blog Entries
    They both go down

Criminal justice system is uncompromising. Even in the Middle Ages every man would rise from his bed and end you.

Blog Entries
    Essentially, but see other areas of the forum - aspergers/LD - proceed with caution.
    Last edited by Matchu; March 6th, 2021 at 08:41 PM.

Put them in the same weight class and it’s shouldn’t be a problem.

Blog Entries
    It's only possible if the woman is large and very well skilled, and the man is completely untrained.
    Where you can purchase a copy of Fallen Sun, my second novel. Hidden Content

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by EternalGreen View Post
    Put them in the same weight class and it’s shouldn’t be a problem.
    Even at equal weights, men are stronger than women.
    Where you can purchase a copy of Fallen Sun, my second novel. Hidden Content

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast