Writing a Believable and Brutal Male vs. Female Fight Scene - Page 3

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Writing a Believable and Brutal Male vs. Female Fight Scene

I often teach self defense classes - for men, women, and kids too. What I teach to each of these groups differs.

It is possible for a woman to escape relatively unscathed from an attack by a male... BUT, it won't be a standing toe to toe fight. Instead it will be a step outside of the area where the male is strongest, a quick strike to the eyes and maybe a kick to the knee, then run like hell. The thing to instill when teaching such things is the need to be absolutely ruthless when defending yourself.

But what do I know, right? I only lived on the street for three years when I was a middle teen (selling heroin for a local gang), and have studied martial arts for only 60 years.

It is possible for a woman to escape relatively unscathed from an attack by a male... BUT, it won't be a standing toe to toe fight. Instead it will be a step outside of the area where the male is strongest, a quick strike to the eyes and maybe a kick to the knee, then run like hell. The thing to instill when teaching such things is the need to be absolutely ruthless when defending yourself.
    You know, it's 1 AM where I am and I'm exhausted. How can we equip our theoretical shieldmaiden so she actually stands a fighting chance?
    +titanium-alloy skeleton (to support further augmentation)
    +extensive cybernetic upgrades. Arms, legs, and lower jaw replaced, preferably armored with titanium. Possible hidden knife inside right hand?
    +vibroblade, with AI-assisted bullet-blocking technology
    +long blonde / black hair, for maximum aesthetic POWER. Bonus points for naturally terrifying eye colors, like blue, grey, or amber.
    +ferocious, guns-blazing personality (but not cruel / sicko)
    +actually cares about you, but pretends she doesn't
    +trained by PAINKILLER, from the Judas Priest record
    +excels in hand-to-hand combat, and struggles in day-to-day activities
    Nail it to the Cross

Quote Originally Posted by BornForBurning View Post
    You know, it's 1 AM where I am and I'm exhausted. How can we equip our theoretical shieldmaiden so she actually stands a fighting chance?
    Put her on a neighboring hill with a longbow and a few score of her best friends, similarly armed, behind a fortified line or with at least of couple of ranks of heavy melee infantry running interference.

For what it's worth, one of the more interesting details in Starship Troopers (book, but carried over into the movie) was Heinlein's stance that women generally didn't have the makings for mud grunts, but they did make for exceptional pilots and dropship captains. This was 1959, so...not exactly a hot time for women in martial roles, and if it seems like a small thing now it was also pretty forward-looking for its era.

If we take that at face value, we get the difference in saying 'X has no place here' and 'X has natural abilities that make X more valuable here'.

IR's post isn't saying women can't fight. He's pointing out that a woman's best chance is disabling or distracting her assailant and opening the distance because (deep breath) if she sticks around and it becomes a physical conflict, she's very likely to get the short end. The average woman is far better off enhancing her chances of survival than her chances winning a sorely mismatched violent confrontation.

There's a rule in firearms training that you carry a gun as a last-ditch measure. Up to the point where you may be forced to shoot to defend yourself, you need to be actively doing everything you can to de-escalate the situation.

That has some relevance here, I think.

Realistic fight between male & female, both in the same weight class, both trained in martial arts.

After Action Report:

"Tell us what happened."

"I had just left the gym after my Brazilian Jujitsu class. A guy was laying in wait. He came out of the dark, grabbed me and threw me against a pickup. He told me to hold still, or he'd hurt me."

"Did you fight back?"

"Yes."

"Did your training help?"

"It's said in a stressful situation, you don't rise to the occasion. You fall back on your training."

"What was your response?"

"Being in fear for my life, I drew my Glock 19 and, from retention, put two in the chest and one in the head."

Blog Entries
    Resorting to that primal area of the psyche...(did I write it right?)...and maybe I was more careless/carefree at twenty years old...but it is truly horrible. A couple of years ago two thugs entered the office for trouble, for a fight, and in one terrible instant of shame I had the thought 'I will kill you both before you kill me.' So horrendous the potential savagery unleashed. There was no fight on that occasion. I ponder still on the flash/moment, from which I am lessened That's more my reality, the reality, and area of interest for writing rather than some cartoon version. Fighting is a damaging experience. Oh

I would question this:

"Being in fear for my life, I drew my Glock 19 and, from retention, put two in the chest and one in the head."

...makes me think of the guy at the 7/11/pushed over/pulls gun/shoots the kids' father out buying cokes.

When you're writing, think big vs. small, muscular vs. flabby/skinny.

Testosterone makes a big difference while fighting, but you still need to know what you're doing. Unless you're a 400 lb bodybuilder, you can't throw a trained opponent around like a rag-doll with pure strength.

There was a joke at my old gym when fresh "big guys" showed up to BJJ practice, which went: "They're not a problem yet, but they will be."

Oh was it true!

If you're a woman or a small man, you'll have to survive from the bottom of guard (in general) pretty often.

Let me elucidate with a true story:

Some years ago, when I was a man, I walked into the gym thinking my inherent maleness would let me crush trained women my size with ease.

Oh, delusions! (I wasn't 100 percent full grown at the time--I was a muscular 17-year-old--but lay off.)

Later, I got demolished in a competition by a woman who couldn’t have weighed more than 120 lbs! I was trained!! Bjj competitions are usually genderless.

During transition, I kept it up, wining and losing to both huge and small people, men and women. The hormone shift made me significantly weaker, of course. No, I probably can’t fight a heavy-set, bench-pressing blue belt anymore. (I mean not with desirable results!)

But most men who’d want to hurt me? You bet. I am no stronger than any woman of my size and weight “should” be.

I’m working on turning material from this wacky adventure into a short story.

I will NEVER forget beads of sweat rolling off someone’s bald head and landing in my EYE, stinging—being strangled with my own arms by a dermatologist--or catching ringworm.

There were plenty of sparing instances where civility broke down that resulted in a "real fight." You can be sure of that. If you're a woman, just keep your wits about you and don't stand in the punch/kick zone like an idiot. You'll be fine.

Quote Originally Posted by Matchu View Post
    I would question this:

...makes me think of the guy at the 7/11/pushed over/pulls gun/shoots the kids' father out buying cokes.
    I don't know the details of the 7/11 shooting you refer to but-

- Shooting in self defense is a completely different situation from just pulling out a gun and shooting someone. The latter is criminal and will land you in prison.

Blog Entries
    Yeah sorry, I shouldn't even have posted, i got myself into some mid-morning foam.

There's a forensic psychologist guy on Youtube, he analyses infamous, notorious US murders. One focuses upon a CCTV camera, and upon gun rights, carrying concealed weapon, issues. Big guy pushes little guy to the dirt, turns and he walks away. [or does he?] Little guy stretched on dirt pulls his gun and fires, and kills big guy. Also racial tones to the case. Of course, lawyers all involved re definitions of threat and threatened...reasonable...and so forth..

I think little guy lost an appeal recently.

Thread drift

I'm guilty of this myself - but have to put my MOD hat on.

We have some thread-drift here. This is the WRITING DISCUSSION FORUM, so let's keep the discussion to writing realistic fight scenes that include women rather than debate self-defense issues.

Moderator note: To add to indianroads post above, I have removed two posts from this thread: one because it was too personal and the other for including it in quotes.
    This can be a good thread. Please do not cause it to be locked.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast