How do you choose your next project? - Page 2

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: How do you choose your next project?

Quote Originally Posted by Cephus View Post
    Ideas are easy, it's why I laugh when someone shows up in a writing forum and asks to provide ideas for a cut of the profits.
    Oh, the threads we could have....

When the research are all ready, the ideas are present and developed, and I'm not like "meh", I'll do it.
    My story is available on Wattpad: Hidden Content
    Chill and read. Feedback, here or there, is welcome.

I always have a project or two to work on. Right now I have two novels I'm working on (one that requires a lot of research), a nonfiction book that's nearing close to the finish line, about 50 poems I've been playing with but haven't yet sent to a market, about 25 or 30 short stories I've done nothing with, and I work on essays in my free time. Oh, I'm also working up interview questions for a writer I admire.

I usually get busy working on what most appeals to me at the time or else on what's due somewhere the soonest. I'm also in the process of selecting a publication's "best pieces of the year" works. In fact, that's what I'll work on tonight. That or the interview questions. (I also keep my list going of poetry and short stories and essay ideas-- things I'll get to one day but add to almost every day.)
    Free Download of My Chapbook: Flash Fiction: A Primer
    Hidden Content

ďList Stories: Lists of the Literary Kind.Ē See my essay at Hidden Content

Today I jotted down 7 potential conflicts by eavesdropping at my grandmother's house which could be 7 potential ideas. This I refer to as journaling. I ommitted the names. I did this using a kindle as a writer's notebook. Any problems they may have had during the conservation. Next I want to try what if behind some of these. It is rare to get outside the house. So taking advantage for as long as I have battery power. We live in a computerized world. I hope to talk to people to get ideas.

By using real life we can further develop an idea.
    Last edited by Theglasshouse; March 6th, 2021 at 10:28 PM.
    I would follow as in believe in the words of good moral leaders. Rather than the beliefs of oneself.
    The most difficult thing for a writer to comprehend is to experience silence, so speak up. (quoted from a member)

The way I choose a project is very elaborate. First I do market research. Then I plot out some genre-bending experimental ideas that have been kicking around in my head. I make a chart of what things I can complete on time, rated by word count and Amazon category. And finally I chuck the whole thing out the window and write yet another Goddamn ghost story set in a haunted train station.

Quote Originally Posted by Backstroke_Italics View Post
    The way I choose a project is very elaborate. First I do market research. Then I plot out some genre-bending experimental ideas that have been kicking around in my head. I make a chart of what things I can complete on time, rated by word count and Amazon category. And finally I chuck the whole thing out the window and write yet another Goddamn ghost story set in a haunted train station.
    You wouldn't happen to have a link to any of those ghost stories would you? After I've finished the childrens story I'm writing, I'll be writing a ghost story.
    Craft / Draft / Graft And Write To Entertain.

Ideas are cheap. You can even steal (abstracted versions of) ideas from famous published authors if you want. I'm not kidding. Copyright protects the expression of the idea, not the idea itself.

I'm not suggesting you should do this, but it proves the low-value of ideas.

I can't really say that I'm able to 'choose' my next project as much as it chooses me by popping into my head. I've noticed that if I
    try to focus on a new project too heavily, it won't come to me as easily. I know when I'm ready for a new project when the idea is
    in my brain and starting to play out like a movie that only I can see.

When this happens, I'll start making a draft sheet and/or a storyboard-type outline and go from there. Once I'm happy with most of
    the plot elements, I start the actual writing.

-JJB
    ​"Strong convictions precede great actions....."

Hidden Content Hidden Content Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by Backstroke_Italics View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by TheMightyAz View Post
    You wouldn't happen to have a link to any of those ghost stories would you? After I've finished the childrens story I'm writing, I'll be writing a ghost story.
    One of the projects on my list is a ghost story, although I've included ghosts before. My fantasy series is set in a haunted castle, but the only ghost "on screen" is a helpful ghost ... a King who ruled from the castle centuries before.

The one I have in mind is a very bad guy in life who dies in an accident, and tries to lure people to their death via the same manner. The MC discovers the pattern, and a trail of investigation leads him to uncover crimes the bad guy committed before death. In the meantime, the ghost will disagree with his activities.

I rely on inspiration generally. Anything that moves me Ė whether itís a song, another story, a movie, or just a visual as Iím out and about Ė I canít wait to get the words down. I rarely think of publication or what would sell, which is why itís so hard for me write according to a plan or a ďtheme." I have to be moved. The first story I wrote that was published came as a result of my brother putting our dad in a nursing home. My dad was so angry he refused to speak to my brother for a long time. So I wrote this story called ďGone Visiting,Ē which told a story of a man named Henry (my dadís name) who was in a nursing home and every time he wanted to visit his wife and children, he would just imagine them as they used to be when he was younger and that made him very happy. Of course, there was a lot more to the story, but it was basically up-lifting and encouraging. After it was published, I sent a copy to my dad and my brother read it to him. He liked it, but I donít really know if he knew he was the star! I think he was too far gone by then, but that is how I write. 😊
    When the night has come
    And the land is dark
    And the moon is the only light we'll see
    I won't be afraid, no I won't be afraid
    Just as long as you stand by me.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast