Had Not Or Hadn't? - Page 2

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Had Not Or Hadn't?

Quote Originally Posted by velo View Post
    So am I.
    Oh ... Now I'm undecided again. lol
    Craft / Draft / Graft And Write To Entertain.

Jay-suss, bd! Be careful! Before you know it you'll start messin' up the yolks after a perfect fry, or jaywalkin' or lickin' yer knife . . .down these dark paths lies unDickensian sluffy usage 'n criminal syntactic slippage. Mr. Gradgrind might come for dinner . . . .

"I believe in nothing but the holiness of the heart's affections and the Truth of the imagination". Keats, ​Letters

"No man is an island entire of itself; every man is a piece of the continent, a part of the main . . . any man's death diminishes me, because I am involved in mankind. And therefore never send to know for whom the bell tolls -- it tolls for thee. " John Donne, Meditation XVII

Quote Originally Posted by clark View Post
    Jay-suss, bd! Be careful! Before you know it you'll start messin' up the yolks after a perfect fry, or jaywalkin' or lickin' yer knife . . .down these dark paths lies unDickensian sluffy usage 'n criminal syntactic slippage. Mr. Gradgrind might come for dinner . . . .
    I should welcome him, and spend dinner correcting him.

Hidden Content Monthly Fiction Challenge

The first cut don't hurt at all
    The second only makes you wonder
    The third will have you on your knee
    s
    - Propaganda, "Duel"

Is this fire, or is this mask?
    It's the Mantasy!
    - Anonymous

I avoid contractions in narrative paragraphs.

Both are cool though since it's not should of. Who tf came up with "should of" in the first place? I wonder if the should-of users are aware of 'should've'.
    My story is available on Wattpad: Hidden Content
    Chill and read. Feedback, here or there, is welcome.

"Hadn't" seems to be one of those contractions (perhaps the only one?) where the contraction feels a little better than the full text - at least for the most part. As already stated though, the voice of the focal character will influence the author's choice. I might also add that "had not" may be better in a sentence where the author wishes to stress the "not". Also, if the word "knot" appears close by, or another "not", "hadn't" would be useful in order to avoid sounding repetitious.
    Just my opinion - I'm not so daft as to offer it as a rigid rule.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Istine View Post
    "Hadn't" seems to be one of those contractions (perhaps the only one?) where the contraction feels a little better than the full text - at least for the most part. As already stated though, the voice of the focal character will influence the author's choice. I might also add that "had not" may be better in a sentence where the author wishes to stress the "not". Also, if the word "knot" appears close by, or another "not", "hadn't" would be useful in order to avoid sounding repetitious.
    Just my opinion - I'm not so daft as to offer it as a rigid rule.
    Yes, that's why I asked. I'm I taking from this that it's perfectly acceptable to mix the two in the same story? I have always stuck to one or the other depending on which I chose to go with.
    Craft / Draft / Graft And Write To Entertain.

Some times I feel forced to use contractions, like the… I had had...past perfect.. I always use I'd had.. There are others, but I can't think of them right now.
    My historical fiction novel I avoided some contractions, like 'can't and 'c'mon'... even though I found that contraction were used in that time period—1800s—

Quote Originally Posted by TheMightyAz View Post
    Just a simple question really. How is it seen nowadays? I always find 'had not' a little clunky but have stuck with it if I started with it. But in general, is it the norm to use the contraction? I know genre sometimes plays a role but I'm thinking 'overall'.

It really depends on WHO is saying it.
    If it is a formal narrator then it should be HAD NOT.
    If it is a first person, informal narration then conjunctions are fully okay.
    If it is dialog then it is okay (and much more.)

The only time I use a conjunction like Hadn't during narration is to get around the HAD HAD issue.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12