When people ask why your screenplay is important or why should it be made...

Thread: When people ask why your screenplay is important or why should it be made...

When people ask why your screenplay is important or why should it be made...

This question comes up of course when you show your script to people and it's one that producers will ask so that's good.

I was told that my script is too politically incorrect for today's audience, and therefore why should it be made. But my reason is that it's because the fact that it's not politically correct is actually why it should, and that that's a strength.

There are a lot of movie fans out there who are tired of so much content being politically correct, so they are really hungry for a movie that would not be, and it will be an important breath of fresh air for moviegoers.

But is this a bad reason to say why a movie has to be made or why is it important? Thanks for any input on it! I really appreciate it!

Quote Originally Posted by ironpony View Post
    This question comes up of course when you show your script to people and it's one that producers will ask so that's good.

I was told that my script is too politically incorrect for today's audience, and therefore why should it be made. But my reason is that it's because the fact that it's not politically correct is actually why it should, and that that's a strength.

There are a lot of movie fans out there who are tired of so much content being politically correct, so they are really hungry for a movie that would not be, and it will be an important breath of fresh air for moviegoers.

But is this a bad reason to say why a movie has to be made or why is it important? Thanks for any input on it! I really appreciate it!
    It's sounds like the reason you give to make your movie is a response to the critic. Was that the reason you wrote the script in the first place, or is there another reason, someone would want to see it?
    Sometimes in the waves of change we find our new direction...
    - unknown

Quote Originally Posted by Taylor View Post
    It's sounds like the reason you give to make your movie is a response to the critic. Was that the reason you wrote the script in the first place, or is there another reason, someone would want to see it?
    Oh no, I didn't write the script as a response to political correctness if that is what you mean. It's just when readers say it's too politically incorrect, I just am not sure how to respond, and my thoughts are well who cares about political correctness. But I could point out the merits of the story that make it worth it, if that's best?

Oh no, I didn't write the script as a response to political correctness if that is what you mean. It's just when readers say it's too politically incorrect, I just am not sure how to respond, and my thoughts are well who cares about political correctness. But I could point out the merits of the story that make it worth it, if that's best?
    I didn't think you had, but the way you worded the question I wasn't sure. So I think it's important to highlight the strength of the story and the reason people should see it. And perhaps give a reason for your motivation to write the story, and defend that rather than suggesting it would be a "breath of fresh air to readers", because it's politically incorrect. That sounds too much like a marketer and not an artist. I don’t think people will respond to that kind of defense or pitch.

It makes me think of The Clockwork Orange. Hugely politically incorrect and banned from many bookstores, schools and libraries, but it had a wide following. According to Wikipedia, "It is considered one of the most influential dystopian books." But did the author write it because it was politically incorrect? Probably not. Perhaps a better approach would be to say “If authors/producers shied away from politically incorrect movie scripts, we would’ve never had The Clockwork Orange.

If you want to change people’s perspectives or paradigms, you need to say something more compelling or even noble to a degree. If that makes sense...

- unknown

Oh okay thanks, I thought they wanted an answer from a marketing perspective when trying to pitch it, rather than an answer from an artist's perspective.

Oh okay thanks, I thought they wanted an answer from a marketing perspective when trying to pitch it, rather than an answer from an artist's perspective.
    Well that may be true. I don't know much about your business. I was just trying to respond to your question. Perhaps someone on the forum knows more about it.
    - unknown