Is This Considered A Cliché? - Page 3


Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 99

Thread: Is This Considered A Cliché?

  1. #21
    Quote Originally Posted by Theglasshouse View Post
    I will agree to disagree just because if your sensitive in some ways you can gain an audience. This science fiction author's work attracted attention from controversy (not sure if it is the same person who wrote the atrocity exhibition and I read some criticism to balance this of Lovecraft who was doing some good things creatively but seemed to anger critics). There are no rules. I just disagree bv reasoning it. The best-selling entertainment seems to be for the general audience such as harry potter maybe.
    Well, yeah, but I'm currently re-finding my skills and honing them. If I ever get to a point where I'm going to be published 'but only if this is changed', then maybe I'll compromise. Until then I'll write what pleases me regardless. Writing what entertains you is a good way of learning to enjoy the process. Writing by numbers is the quickest way of learning to loath what you do.

    Having said I'd compromise, it's not guaranteed. I have a certain amount of integrity and regardless of whether it's the difference between being published or not, if the suggested changes change the heart of the piece, stuff being published. I'll write another and see how that flies. It's not as if I'm stuck in one particular voice or genre. I'm sure people would have no problem with Coats For Wings or The Glass Tulip. They may however have a problem with MotherHUD. Swings and roundabouts.
    Craft / Draft / Graft And Write To Entertain.

  2. #22
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Location
    Attic
    Posts
    596
    Blog Entries
    8
    You made my balls chuckle

  3. #23
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Location
    Attic
    Posts
    596
    Blog Entries
    8
    not you, oh dear.

    You too, my love.

  4. #24
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Location
    Attic
    Posts
    596
    Blog Entries
    8
    You must write with abandon @AZ. Stay strong, you are a hero. Teasing means people like you x

  5. #25
    Luckyscars had a good example, except that, Az, your sentence went a few steps further:
    1. You have to look up what is meant.
    2. Unless you’re a man maybe you don’t quite understand the connection you’re supposed to get between wrench and nuts.

    I’m hoping my example shows what that’s like from the other side.
    Do these sound male-inclusive?

    “It was ‘smuggling raisins’ weather.”
    “The soldier’s legs were in Midol-popping day-1 pain and fatigue.”
    ”On this planet smells were as strong as in the first trimester and just as nauseating.”

    Now I just want to keep writing these... how fun is this? Men just have to deal with it?

    The cup duck-taped under the stint worked like a Milkies, every drop was precious.
    Last edited by Llyralen; February 27th, 2021 at 01:42 AM.

  6. #26
    Quote Originally Posted by Llyralen View Post
    Luckyscars had a good example, except that, Az, your sentence went a few steps further:
    1. You have to look up what is meant.
    2. Unless you’re a man maybe you don’t quite understand the connection you’re supposed to get between wrench and nuts. I’m hoping my example shows what that’s like from the other side.

    Do these sound male-inclusive? “It was ‘smuggling raisins’ weather.”
    Oh now I’m finally thinking of some, “The soldier’s legs were in Midol-popping day-1 type pain and fatigue.”
    What is this other side you speak of? I've watched many movies that were overtly male orientated with many women, and to this day have never seen any of them find a problem with it. Like I said though, this is ONE sentence from a story that may or may not contain that sentence.

    Craft / Draft / Graft And Write To Entertain.

  7. #27
    Quote Originally Posted by TheMightyAz View Post
    edit: Oh, the humiliation! Maybe if I only get a small number of the same people replying, I can justify that mistake.

    I often make notes when writing, for other stories I'll be working on next. I'm thinking of re-purposing the voice I use for MotherHUD for use in a children's story, but I'm also working on another voice for a detective story. I wrote this and I know it's based on a well known joke but wondered if it's now common to see it used like this. I've never read detective stories or written one before:
    I've not read much of the genre either, but I will recommend a book that may give you some ideas. 'Noir' by Christopher Moore. He is one of the funniest writers I've read in a long time and you can tell he had fun writing this one.

    As far as the sentence goes, it seems like the infamous scene from 'Basic Instinct'.

  8. #28
    Quote Originally Posted by druid12000 View Post
    I've not read much of the genre either, but I will recommend a book that may give you some ideas. 'Noir' by Christopher Moore. He is one of the funniest writers I've read in a long time and you can tell he had fun writing this one.

    As far as the sentence goes, it seems like the infamous scene from 'Basic Instinct'.
    LOL. I may have had that in mind ... I'll see if that story is up on audiobooks and give it a listen! Cheers.
    Craft / Draft / Graft And Write To Entertain.

  9. #29
    Quote Originally Posted by TheMightyAz View Post
    What is this other side you speak of? I've watched many movies that were overtly male orientated with many women, and to this day have never seen any of them find a problem with it. Like I said though, this is ONE sentence from a story that may or may not contain that sentence.


    I want to know if my general point is made. See the sentences above. And no... that’s not a small thing. It might be a small sentence in your book, but it’s a general thing in society. It’s pretty constant and it needs to stop. There are roughly equal numbers of men and women yet women are supposed to put up with all sorts of references to anatomy we don’t have all of the time and it reinforces who is in charge every time.

    You don’t want to exclude your readers, do you? It would be financially benefiting for you to look into this as someone else has already pointed out.
    Last edited by Llyralen; February 27th, 2021 at 01:58 AM.

  10. #30
    Quote Originally Posted by Llyralen View Post
    I want to know if my general point is made. See the sentences above. And no... that’s not a small thing. It might be a small sentence in your book, but it’s a general thing in society. It’s pretty constant and it needs to stop. There are roughly equal numbers of men and women yet women are supposed to put up with all sorts of references to anatomy we don’t have all of the time.
    I'm not catering to everyone. I'm catering to what I want to write. If it cuts off 50% of my audience of a story I'm going to write in the corner of the internet, and that is never going to be any more than a tester for a new voice, then so be it. I'm sure there is plenty of content that does cater to that audience. The best way of finding it is probably to look for the lowest audience Rotten Tomato scores.
    Craft / Draft / Graft And Write To Entertain.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
This website uses cookies
We use cookies to store session information to facilitate remembering your login information, to allow you to save website preferences, to personalise content and ads, to provide social media features and to analyse our traffic. We also share information about your use of our site with our social media, advertising and analytics partners.