What makes you good enough? - Page 2

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What makes you good enough?

Quote Originally Posted by TheMightyAz View Post
    Practice, determination, repetition, self loathing, practice, determination, repetition, self loathing, practice, determination, repetition, self loathing, practice, determination, repetition, self loathing, practice, determination, repetition, self loathing, practice, determination, repetition, self loathing etc.
    Seems a little light on the self-loathing.

Quote Originally Posted by JBF View Post
    Seems a little light on the self-loathing.
    LOL. I can make up for that in my spare time.
    Craft / Draft / Graft And Write To Entertain.

Thanks for the replies everyone! The general theme I getting from everyone is persistence is the main characteristic, without this, writing doesn't exist and through persistence and pushing, you can then find your true potential in being a writer?

A follow on question to you all ... what makes you want to write?

I had a spark of an idea many many moons ago but only gave myself real heart in the last year or so. I understand everyone's situations are different but like all, i have set goals i want to attain, mid term ambitions, longer term goals.

Why do you write?

Quote Originally Posted by Takeaway Junkie View Post
    Thanks for the replies everyone! The general theme I getting from everyone is persistence is the main characteristic, without this, writing doesn't exist and through persistence and pushing, you can then find your true potential in being a writer?

A follow on question to you all ... what makes you want to write?

I had a spark of an idea many many moons ago but only gave myself real heart in the last year or so. I understand everyone's situations are different but like all, i have set goals i want to attain, mid term ambitions, longer term goals.

Why do you write?
    If you let the walls, the hurdles and the setbacks bother you, you'll never make it. Grit your teeth, kick something at hand, apologise to anything animate present, and get on with it.

What makes me want to write? FUN. ... And paragraphs. I love paragraphs.
    Craft / Draft / Graft And Write To Entertain.

Quote Originally Posted by Takeaway Junkie View Post
    Why do you write?
    Ideas are fun. Following the idea down its various paths of development, nudging it into shape, originating something that I haven't done before. I'm in it for all of that.

As for the actual writing, I agree with whoever it was who said that they didn't enjoy writing, they enjoy having written.
    What comes after the NaPo storm of poetry?
    Get ready for the
    May 2021 Collaborator Challenge.

Send your potential partner a fruit basket and start begging!

Quote Originally Posted by Foxee View Post
    Ideas are fun. Following the idea down its various paths of development, nudging it into shape, originating something that I haven't done before. I'm in it for all of that.

As for the actual writing, I agree with whoever it was who said that they didn't enjoy writing, they enjoy having written.
    I guess I’m strange because I enjoy writing... and plotting and editing. I hate marketing though.

I'm with you, Indianroads. I also hate marketing my work. I love writing because I love to see where an idea might go and how it might end up expressing itself (essay, short story, flash fiction, poem, prose poetry, haibun, etc.)

But the marketing part is so time consuming. I do it but don't like it, not one little bit. I'm always grateful for the private requests-- the times markets come to me and ask me to provide something. I'm so beyond grateful for that.

But at the same time I love getting an acceptance from places I never expected might want my work. Most recently I submitted a piece to a place I consider over my head and they accepted it! So I got to see my work in a magazine I never dreamed might be open to me. (I submitted there at a friend's urging.)

I also love entering writing competitions. I've won quite a few smaller ones but each one counts whether a smaller competition or not. There are certain contests I enter annually because it's such fun to enter and even more fun to win now and then. There's no marketing involved but I get another publication credit, another hard-copy anthology containing my work, along with the prize money. Then I can often resubmit that winning piece elsewhere.

I enjoy the challenge of writing something that someone else might find worth reading.
    Free Download of My Chapbook: Flash Fiction: A Primer
    Hidden Content

List Stories: Lists of the Literary Kind. See my essay at Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by Hewlett View Post
    I don't enjoy writing. I like to read, to story-tell, appreciate the beauty of words, but do not enjoy putting them together to express myself, or to force others to understand me. I'm neither good, or passionate about writing. It's simply something that I know I have to learn about, and do, in order for any communication with other humans that comes in the form of writing; be as effective as possible. Making my life much simpler.
    With that said, I feel there is an infinite amount of things we could learn about writing, and NOTHING AT ALL we need to learn about it. Also too many rules for something that has given you the impression that it is mighty free, it becomes off-putting or intimidating for someone who is passionate about it. It's a never ending rehearsal when your heart isn't really in it. AND, in my honest, negative opinion again...few people posess a natural born bad ass killer gift of writing. I hope you do.
    That's interesting. I posted the question because i never sought to write, it has just grown and is becoming very important to me. Communication, understanding are my aims as a person to improve upon with writing, but to encapsulate feelings into words, about how life gets at you into a fabricated world, the challenge is huge yet the urge to try... to keep going when time, realities of finance, being a dad, a husband, the fact that grades all point that this should not work and may not work ... i still want to tell my story ... and lots of other stories stuck in my head.

I see writing as bettering yourself and in my journey it's incredibly tough. I have no idea how to write yet i have done a first draft and in all honesty, scared to death at jumping into a group like this to gain some heart from others, yet that is what writing brings. Like many of you guys and girls here ... its great to share ideas, and see what others say, i don't agree with all, but it doesn't mean i don't appreciate the replies and thoughts. Being a father has taught me many things that i link to writing. If your child does something wrong you tell them off, they don't like it, no one does but it is through bad that we can improve.

I really struggle with self, its always a lonely battle so I'm very thankful to everyone who have posted back. It is only through writing can we express ourselves through silence - that's a quote in my book

Read an unhealthy amount of high-quality fiction. Write until you see black and red specs floating through your vision. Feed yourself; sleep. Repeat.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12