Writing about a cooking career


Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 19

Thread: Writing about a cooking career

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2021
    Location
    Montreal
    Posts
    16

    Writing about a cooking career

    I been cooking professionally for 15 years now. I decided to start writing. Any suggestions on what I should say or write about. Should I talk about my past at young age, grandmother making food. Looking for advice thank you.

  2. #2
    Two suggestions for getting your thoughts going:

    Try sitting down with a piece of paper and a pen (preferably) or a blank page on your computer. Set a timer and write everything that comes to mind without stopping for 10 minutes. Just write your thoughts. That activates your thoughts which makes them malleable. This isn't about 'what to write about' yet, it's just an exercise to dump everything going on so it's not a distraction.

    Start a doc (I keep a shortcut to mine on my desktop) for 'Timed Writings'. Get a timer or hourglass (I prefer my 15-minute hourglass) and every day pick something you'd like to write about and just go for 5, 10, 15 minutes without stopping. Write about anything: preserved lemons, demonic influence of ballpoint pens, the neighbor who was walking their dog past your house, parakeets, time-traveling toast, etc. Make stuff up and write about it for 15 minutes a day.

    After you've done that for a week or so see if you're starting to get an idea of what pulls at you, what would you really LIKE to write? I'd love if you did this and came back and said how it went.

    The more often I write, the more I want to write, the more ideas that I generate. I think this can work for you as well.

  3. #3
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2021
    Location
    Montreal
    Posts
    16
    Quote Originally Posted by Foxee View Post
    Two suggestions for getting your thoughts going:

    Try sitting down with a piece of paper and a pen (preferably) or a blank page on your computer. Set a timer and write everything that comes to mind without stopping for 10 minutes. Just write your thoughts. That activates your thoughts which makes them malleable. This isn't about 'what to write about' yet, it's just an exercise to dump everything going on so it's not a distraction.

    Start a doc (I keep a shortcut to mine on my desktop) for 'Timed Writings'. Get a timer or hourglass (I prefer my 15-minute hourglass) and every day pick something you'd like to write about and just go for 5, 10, 15 minutes without stopping. Write about anything: preserved lemons, demonic influence of ballpoint pens, the neighbor who was walking their dog past your house, parakeets, time-traveling toast, etc. Make stuff up and write about it for 15 minutes a day.

    After you've done that for a week or so see if you're starting to get an idea of what pulls at you, what would you really LIKE to write? I'd love if you did this and came back and said how it went.

    The more often I write, the more I want to write, the more ideas that I generate. I think this can work for you as well.
    I will give this try, this sounds like fun !

  4. #4
    I guess you have to decide if you want to write fiction or non-fiction. I could see both working well with a cooking career.

    Non-fiction - A tale of you becoming a cheff and all the trials and tribulations that brought. Was it anything like Hell's Kitchen? Because those stories could be fun!

    Fiction - An obvious choice would be from the POV of a chef. But perhaps the chef is only a minor character, just the narrator. Perhaps it's a group of people who always eat in the same restaurant, each with their own tale.

    There's a great thread in WF about writing what you know.

    https://www.writingforums.com/thread...-What-You-Know

    Lots of differing opinions, but I think it helps if you are just starting out to do something somewhat relaled to your career, after all you must have a ton of stories there.

    I just started writing a year ago, and I choose not to write characters with my same career, but I used my body of knowledge finance as the basis for my plot. I think it made it easier and makes me feel more relevant as writer. That I actually have a voice someone might care about. Similarly you could base your story on the food industry but not make it about a chef. Have you seen the Netflix movie The Illegal. It's about a foreign student who ends up working in a restaurant. It might be good for inspiration and to give you an idea of the scope of a setting.
    Last edited by Taylor; February 15th, 2021 at 02:27 AM. Reason: typo
    Sometimes in the waves of change we find our new direction...
    - unknown

  5. #5
    Member Sir-KP's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Location
    Indonesia
    Posts
    556
    Do you want to write a biography or a fiction based on your cooking career?
    My story is available on Wattpad: Hidden Content
    Chill and read. Feedback, here or there, is welcome.

  6. #6
    I just finished reading 'Noir' by Christopher Moore. His main character is a bartender who gets tangled in a plot involving murder and aliens. The sky is no longer a limit

  7. #7
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2021
    Location
    Montreal
    Posts
    16
    Quote Originally Posted by Sir-KP View Post
    Do you want to write a biography or a fiction based on your cooking career?
    I'm not sure what I want to do trying to way out my options. I have do many funny stories stuff that I have seen and heard.

  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by Seifer View Post
    I have do many funny stories stuff that I have seen and heard.
    Then start there. Write out some of the funny stories and either they'll be standalones or they'll be worded and written out and ready to be woven into something bigger. Great place to get a start.

  9. #9
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2021
    Location
    Montreal
    Posts
    16
    Quote Originally Posted by Foxee View Post
    Then start there. Write out some of the funny stories and either they'll be standalones or they'll be worded and written out and ready to be woven into something bigger. Great place to get a start.
    Thank you for advice this is going to be so much fun to write

  10. #10
    If it were me, I wouldn't worry about technique, words per day, grammar construction or anything like that, I would begin with your desire/need/compulsion to cook.

    Start with your morning coffee, then instead of going to the kitchen, write down the process from first sip - What are you going to cook, why are you going to cook tthat particular dish, what is it about that dish that makes it special, did a dinner out, a special friend, an evening in provence - from conception to consumption as a stream of conciousness, just one long flow. After you've done that, put it in a drawer for a few days, then read it aloud to yourself and see what you make of it, then see if you can do better.

    There are thousands of recipe books out there, why and how you arrived is often more interesting than the meals themselves. Under The Tuscan Sun is a book in that vein. Bolognese sauce has very many variants, but the one Nonna taught you is special because...
    A man in possession of a wooden spoon must be in want of a pot to stir.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
This website uses cookies
We use cookies to store session information to facilitate remembering your login information, to allow you to save website preferences, to personalise content and ads, to provide social media features and to analyse our traffic. We also share information about your use of our site with our social media, advertising and analytics partners.