New World Creation

Thread: New World Creation

New World Creation

Hey,
    Iím writing a fantasy book that happens in a world both like and unlike ours. The world map may be similar, but has a lot of differences. Countries are nations, empires, kingdoms. I am looking for names for those same nations that are actually based on the ones we know. I need the equivalent of the following countries.
    - Russia
    - France
    - Spain
    - England
    - Germany
    - Norway
    - Greece
    - Poland
    - Egypt
    - Morocco
    - South Africa
    - India
    - China
    - Japan
    - Indonesia
    - Australia
    - Canada
    - United States
    - Mexico

And six oceans that would be the equivalent of:
    Arctic Ocean, Southern Ocean, Indian Ocean, Pacific Ocean, South Atlantic and North Atlantic Ocean.

Iíll gladly accept anyoneís help!

Quote Originally Posted by Alfa_tw View Post
    Hey,
    I’m writing a fantasy book that happens in a world both like and unlike ours. The world map may be similar, but has a lot of differences. Countries are nations, empires, kingdoms. I am looking for names for those same nations that are actually based on the ones we know. I need the equivalent of the following countries.
    - Russia
    - France
    - Spain
    - England
    - Germany
    - Norway
    - Greece
    - Poland
    - Egypt
    - Morocco
    - South Africa
    - India
    - China
    - Japan
    - Indonesia
    - Australia
    - Canada
    - United States
    - Mexico

And six oceans that would be the equivalent of:
    Arctic Ocean, Southern Ocean, Indian Ocean, Pacific Ocean, South Atlantic and North Atlantic Ocean.

I’ll gladly accept anyone’s help!
    I always thought it would be cool to (re)name countries with alternates or some derivation of what they call themselves (or used to). For example, why not retitle Britain Albion, or France Gaul, and why not rename places like US or India something based on the names of the regions there: Republic of Bengal, Arapahoe Nation, etc.

I always thought it neat the way Philip Pullman called Russia Muscovy. In any case I guess you have a good wallop of historical research in your future

Hidden Content Monthly Fiction Challenge

The first cut don't hurt at all
    The second only makes you wonder
    The third will have you on your knee
    s
    - Propaganda, "Duel"

Is this fire, or is this mask?
    It's the Mantasy!
    - Anonymous

Oh those are actually good names! Do you have any other ideas?