Another Fly in the Ointment

Thread: Another Fly in the Ointment

Another Fly in the Ointment

I guess this is where I should make an earth-shattering introduction and regale all you fine people of Writing Forums with tales of chivalry and merriment, but I fear that belongs in a past decade, or century, or perhaps even millennium.

My name is Robert. Bob, if you must. Bobby, if you buy me a virtual whiskey (I'm also partial to non-virtual whiskeys).

Over the years, I've been in more timezones than a Rolex. I was born in England, in Reading, about as unprepossessing a place as you could imagine. But I left it behind forty-three years ago and have lived everywhere from China, to Ireland, and now reside in New York City (I'm told the locals hate it when people call it 'New York').

I've worked every job imaginable to put food on my family's plate: mechanic, janitor, teacher, lecturer, slaughterhouse worker, but I moved to America thirty years ago after meeting my wife on a holiday in Las Vegas (who said the House always wins?). She inspired me to chase my dream of becoming a lawyer. Today, I and two partners run a small office in the Bronx employing civil and patent lawyers. I don't get much time for court appearances these days, though, because I'm starting to wind down towards retirement.

But now that the kids are grown and have flown the nest, I've been thinking a lot about another dream of mine. I've always wanted to write a novel, and while I wrote two sub-par manuscripts in my twenties as a teacher, they're gathering dust in a corner of my parents' house in Reading. I haven't looked at them in almost forty years.

I have a lot of experience writing and proofing briefs for court, but while my technical expertise may be acceptable, I'm hoping to learn how to use words to entertain, intrigue, and otherwise evoke an emotional reaction from a reader.

I'm eager to begin learning exactly how to go about doing that, and I look forward to reading the works posted here to see how it should be done.

Thanks for reading.

Welcome!

I believe you will find a great deal of useful information and even more helpful folks here to help you on your journey.

I'm not a whiskey drinker, Robert, but how about a virtual lemonade?

Okay you might be Robert or Bob or even Bobby (have a whiskey) but I will probably end up calling you CB. Love your list of places lived and experience, Lee Child was a lawyer when he started writing one of my favorite characters: Jack Reacher. So I have a feeling that you've got the stuff and I'm happy to see you take that shot! Welcome, welcome.

Welcome to the forum! It would be interesting to see those aged drafts.
    Craft / Draft / Graft And Write To Entertain.

Quote Originally Posted by druid12000 View Post
    Welcome!

I believe you will find a great deal of useful information and even more helpful folks here to help you on your journey.

I'm not a whiskey drinker, Robert, but how about a virtual lemonade?
    I'm sure I will find no amount of useful information here, druid, and I'm very much looking forward to learning from whomever I can.

I raise my glass of virtual lemonade and give you a toast, good sir.

Quote Originally Posted by Foxee View Post
    Okay you might be Robert or Bob or even Bobby (have a whiskey) but I will probably end up calling you CB. Love your list of places lived and experience, Lee Child was a lawyer when he started writing one of my favorite characters: Jack Reacher. So I have a feeling that you've got the stuff and I'm happy to see you take that shot! Welcome, welcome.
    Thank you for the kind words, Foxee.

It's 3 a.m. here and I'm sitting on my sofa, savouring a tumbler of whiskey. Over the years, mid-morning is when I've done my best thinking, but this morning you have me reminiscing about years gone. I dated a girl in Ireland years ago. Her name was Gena (similar to the Spanish Gina) but her nickname was Foxy. Everyone, from her brother to her mother, called her 'Foxy'. Unfortunately, work intruded and I left Ireland before I could find out the story behind it. I often think that in another world, I might have married that girl.

I fear the comparison to Lee Child is more than a little unearned, but I appreciate it no less. If I can achieve even a modicum of what Mr Child has, I'll be ecstatic. That being said, until I met my wife, I believed my dream of becoming a lawyer and running my own law firm was fanciful nonsense.

One thing I know is that I will certainly take that shot. What happens if I miss, is a question I'll leave to another day.

Quote Originally Posted by TheMightyAz View Post
    Welcome to the forum! It would be interesting to see those aged drafts.
    I'm not entirely sure that 'interesting' would be the word I'd use.

On the other hand, they might show me what not to do.

Thank you for the welcome.

Quote Originally Posted by Cool Breeze View Post
    I'm not entirely sure that 'interesting' would be the word I'd use.

On the other hand, they might show me what not to do.

Thank you for the welcome.
    Definitely. It's just as valuable to know what not to do as it is to know exactly what to do.
    Craft / Draft / Graft And Write To Entertain.

Blog Entries

Welcome
    My dream? Being able to enter people's hearts with words: giving emotions and dreams.
    JK Rowling (Harry Potter) has been rejected more than 10 times Remember, don't give up!
    Thank you all for the help you give me to improve my English.