Coffee and Poetry Make the World Go Round-Introducing Myself

Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Coffee and Poetry Make the World Go Round-Introducing Myself

Coffee and Poetry Make the World Go Round-Introducing Myself

Hi Everyone, I need writer friends. I got my first Twitter today under LouiseVoillemin. The first thing I wrote as a test was Coffee and Poetry make the world go round. Someone screamed that at me once while I sat outside of a coffee shot. It always stuck in my head. I am thinking of writing a book of poems about my sister who is in prison. Called "Poems to My Sister in Prison". I was petting our cat Thomas yesterday and told my husband that I was so sad my sister couldn't pet a cat for years. And my husband told me well if you go to prison I could send you a cat furr to pet. I mean I would never allow that but it was a funny thought. And it got me thinking of a poem. And I have started a novel about a man who is an ice fisherman and wears a hat with ear flaps. And searched for a mermaid he saw once as a child. On the novel front I am writing it with it being a detective series. It is the last book in the series which is a strange way to start but its the most clear to me. I am focused on high school math for my 14 year old son which is like the worst task in the universe but he needs homeschooling as online he is not working. So we picked 2 topics to follow until school becomes normal. Anyway, so you know a lot about me. I have a husband, a son, a cat, (we also have an aging deaf Corgi), a sister in prison, hobbies tutoring high school algebra (save me) and writing.

Welcome to the forum and you've already contributed a short story! An ice fisherman searching for a mermaid sounds very much like a metaphor to me. A cold hearted man who longs for the warmth and love of a good hearted woman. But it's the pursuit itself that stops him ever attaining that love. Perfection, the subconscious self sabotaging him.

ice wisherman: cold hearted man
    mermaid: warm hearted woman but one he's never destined to find.
    Craft / Draft / Graft And Write To Entertain Yourself And The reader.

Quote Originally Posted by TheMightyAz View Post
    Welcome to the forum and you've already contributed a short story! An ice fisherman searching for a mermaid sounds very much like a metaphor to me. A cold hearted man who longs for the warmth and love of a good hearted woman. But it's the pursuit itself that stops him ever attaining that love. Perfection, the subconscious self sabotaging him.

ice wisherman: cold hearted man
    mermaid: warm hearted woman but one he's never destined to find.

Hi Az,
    I keep meaning to look up some meanings for a man that searches for a Mermaid. I saw the book the Little Mermaid the other day when we all went to the local library and meant to pick it up. The story by Hans Christian Anderson. I remember there was a girl in a class I took once who had gone to a city I think it was someplace in Denmark were she was famous and there was a statue. It is strange to begin with the last book in a series. And he dies in the first page. And all the books I plan to write come before this. So its like whatever I write from now on are fatefully meeting his inglorious demise. For some reason that reminds me of John F Kennedy Jrs life. We didn't know at the time well he died before I was born. But how his life could be seen from the lens of what was coming. Anyway, I am truly rambling. Thanks for the welcome. And like a dream we are somehow all the characters in our book. Wasn't my husband funny about the comment about our cat. Sending me his furr to pet if I went to prison. Although of course we would never do that in real life. It was very sick and sweet at the same time. I am fact a vegetarian. Anyhoo, what are you writing at the moment. LV

Quote Originally Posted by LouiseVoillemin View Post
    Hi Az,
    I keep meaning to look up some meanings for a man that searches for a Mermaid. I saw the book the Little Mermaid the other day when we all went to the local library and meant to pick it up. The story by Hans Christian Anderson. I remember there was a girl in a class I took once who had gone to a city I think it was someplace in Denmark were she was famous and there was a statue. It is strange to begin with the last book in a series. And he dies in the first page. And all the books I plan to write come before this. So its like whatever I write from now on are fatefully meeting his inglorious demise. For some reason that reminds me of John F Kennedy Jrs life. We didn't know at the time well he died before I was born. But how his life could be seen from the lens of what was coming. Anyway, I am truly rambling. Thanks for the welcome. And like a dream we are somehow all the characters in our book. Wasn't my husband funny about the comment about our cat. Sending me his furr to pet if I went to prison. Although of course we would never do that in real life. It was very sick and sweet at the same time. I am fact a vegetarian. Anyhoo, what are you writing at the moment. LV
    I'm writing The Glass Tulip: https://www.writingforums.com/thread...=1#post2327656

On the surface it's about a young boy (Tommy) who sees the world as a dark place. He has only two places left he can truly find happiness: Ashton Woods and Candy Land. One day love comes into his life, the lemon girl, and his life begins to change ...

It's not finished but there's a sizeable chunk done.

I'm looking forward to seeing what you produce. Just know that the Writing Showcase section is open to everyone, including passersby. The Writing Workshop is only available to members, so your work is relatively safe there. To access that, and other sections, all you have to do is have 10 posts.

Welcome!
    Pleased to meet you and hope to see you around on the boards

Quote Originally Posted by druid12000 View Post
    Welcome!
    Pleased to meet you and hope to see you around on the boards

Druid does that mean your a druid. Do you believe trees have spirits. Follow all the rituals of the sun and seasons? I read one Druid custom that I am not sure it is even true. That the wedding ring was a druid custom that we had a vein from our left finger that went to our heart. And druids wore wedding rings to show this heart connections. Although my guess is most marriages were very practical in that time. Bread baker families only married other bread maker families. So what did love have to do with it. Anyway, what are you writing and why druid1. That sounds like a young person to me.

Sounds like a great story. My book is called Unspoken Mermaid. I am from Wisconsin and my book is set in my home town. I live in France as my husband is French and we are long married and have a son together and he just retired. We are middle aged. So I suddenly don't really need to work and can write consistently and my son needs extra tutoring because of online school. So the plan is for me to write and tutor and take a job in September when hopefully the world is back to normal. Whatever that is. Why Glass Tulip? The title of my book is Unspoken Mermaid.

Quote Originally Posted by LouiseVoillemin View Post
    Sounds like a great story. My book is called Unspoken Mermaid. I am from Wisconsin and my book is set in my home town. I live in France as my husband is French and we are long married and have a son together and he just retired. We are middle aged. So I suddenly don't really need to work and can write consistently and my son needs extra tutoring because of online school. So the plan is for me to write and tutor and take a job in September when hopefully the world is back to normal. Whatever that is. Why Glass Tulip? The title of my book is Unspoken Mermaid.
    I cannot tell you that!

Two more posts and you'll be able to read it for yourself. You'll see why I've called it The Glass Tulip but not necessarily why I've called it The Glass Tulip ...

Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast