Amazon Publishing - Page 5

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Amazon Publishing

Quote Originally Posted by Taylor View Post
    It's extraordinary really! It's hard to think about going with a traditional publisher, waiting months or years to get picked up. Especially since Covid, people have become so comfortable with online shopping. If you publish on Amazon, can you still get into public libraries?
    I've seen articles on how to get our books into libraries, but confess that I've not read them.

Quote Originally Posted by Taylor View Post
    It's extraordinary really! It's hard to think about going with a traditional publisher, waiting months or years to get picked up. Especially since Covid, people have become so comfortable with online shopping. If you publish on Amazon, can you still get into public libraries?
    I don't know how public libraries choose new books but if you're putting an ISBN number on the book this is what it means:
    An ISBN is essentially a product identifier used by publishers, booksellers, libraries, internet retailers and other supply chain participants for ordering, listing, sales records and stock control purposes. The ISBN identifies the registrant as well as the specific title, edition and format.
    So it's an identifier that a library would use, at least. I don't see why they wouldn't choose a popular book that was published privately for their collection if they think it's a good book.

Still, I imagine there might have to be some noisy marketing and popularity surrounding the book, too.
    What comes after the NaPo storm of poetry?
    Get ready for the
    May 2021 Collaborator Challenge.

Send your potential partner a fruit basket and start begging!

Quote Originally Posted by Foxee View Post
    I don't know how public libraries choose new books but if you're putting an ISBN number on the book this is what it means:

So it's an identifier that a library would use, at least. I don't see why they wouldn't choose a popular book that was published privately for their collection if they think it's a good book.

Still, I imagine there might have to be some noisy marketing and popularity surrounding the book, too.
    There could be a snag if you get your identifying number via Amazon - they use AISN (Amazon numbers), which may preclude your book getting in libraries.

Quote Originally Posted by indianroads View Post
    There could be a snag if you get your identifying number via Amazon - they use AISN (Amazon numbers), which may preclude your book getting in libraries.
    Can you get an ISBN in addition to the AISN? I don't know how one gets an ISBN - haven't had occasion to do it.
    What comes after the NaPo storm of poetry?
    Get ready for the
    May 2021 Collaborator Challenge.

Send your potential partner a fruit basket and start begging!

Can you get an ISBN in addition to the AISN? I don't know how one gets an ISBN - haven't had occasion to do it.
    I've not tried it, but this is what I found online.
    https://self-publishingschool.com/how-to-get-an-isbn/#final

It's not at all hard. Buy them here: http://www.bowker.com/products/ISBN-US.html

In the process of formatting and establishing your book, they ask you if you already have an ISBN or do you need one? If you say you need, they assign a number for you without any extra effort on your part. It just shows up on your book. I don't know about AISN.
    When the night has come
    And the land is dark
    And the moon is the only light we'll see
    I won't be afraid, no I won't be afraid
    Just as long as you stand by me.

Quote Originally Posted by Cephus View Post
    It's not at all hard. Buy them here
    Thanks for the link. Turns out the ISBN doesn't cost much, only $295.

Quote Originally Posted by PhillipDine View Post
    Thanks for the link. Turns out the ISBN doesn't cost much, only $295.
    That's for 10

check out a very useful article.

https://blog.reedsy.com/how-to-get-an-isbn/
    Check out our showcase
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content
    or check out my personal blog, Hidden Content

The ASIN is not the same as an ISBN. If you are publishing a book and have an ISBN (either one you purchased or one assigned to you by Amazon) the ASIN may be the same as the ISBN, which makes it confusing. However, the ASIN is used by Amazon internally to track products and the ISBN is used to identify your book across international borders.
    Sometimes the ISBN is not transferable between sites. For example, if you get an assigned ISBN through Draft2Digital but want to sell your book on Amazon, you may need to have another ISBN assigned by Amazon. Then you have two ISBNs for the same book.
    https://ceflores.com/tag/what-is-the-difference-between-isbn-and-asin/

In Canada, you can get isbn's for free and you get them in batches of ten at a time.

If you don't want an isbn, Amazon assigns an ASIN. If you want an ISBN but don't want to buy or get your own, Amazon will provide one from their own supply of ISBN's. The best bet is to get your own as to the reason in the second quoted text above. You will also need a separate ISBN for each version (digital and print) as well as ideally any new editions.

Hope this helps.
    The dreamer doesn't know me. My name doesn't slip from their tongue. Their eyes haven't stared upon my face. Yet, I'm there.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast