Words (flash Fiction)

Thread: Words (flash Fiction)

Words (flash Fiction)

Another one just for fun.

Words

How do you start? There, right there. Sometimes ending with a question mark and sometimes ending with a full stop. But why? Why do we put words down on paper? Is it to create, express or to confess? It seems to me that whilst we write our thoughts are focused, uninhibited and uncensored. The voice we hear, reading internally each word as we type, prevents us from straying, prevents us from hiding … perhaps? From what would we be hiding though?

They say to ‘write from your own experience.’ That doesn’t mean place down words describing our day, it means open your soul for examination. Each and every one of us has exactly the same ingredients. It’s only the quantity of each ingredient that makes us unique.

So, when we take ourselves, dig deep into our minds and find those little lost graves we thought we’d buried long ago, we feel free to attribute them to others, to our ‘characters’. They carry our burden. And in so doing, show us who we truly are. We never admit to ourselves of course. Why would we?

And yet, even as I type these words, I see nothing of myself here. Only words. It’s because I’m expressing the truth. The irony then is that only when we lie with words can we fully appreciate the truth behind them.
    Just An Ordinary Bloke, Doing Ordinary Things, In An Extraordinary World.

Great food for thought...
    Sometimes in the waves of change we find our new direction...
    - unknown

Quote Originally Posted by Taylor View Post
    Great food for thought...
    Actually this earlier comment did not do your work justice. It is more like a succulent little morsel to be chewed, savoured and digested.

One of my favourite things from you. You are a philosopher...

Sometimes in the waves of change we find our new direction...
    - unknown

Quote Originally Posted by TheMightyAz View Post

Each and every one of us has exactly the same ingredients. It’s only the quantity of each ingredient that makes us unique.
    I used to spend so much time trying to decide what makes people unique when they're all the same ...though different...but the same...it used to drive me crazy b/c I couldn't think of a way to describe it. The above-quoted line made it clear for me. Thanks so much for that...It's perfect.

The last line is priceless.

I enjoyed this...
    NO!

Quote Originally Posted by happy-hippie View Post
    I used to spend so much time trying to decide what makes people unique when they're all the same ...though different...but the same...it used to drive me crazy b/c I couldn't think of a way to describe it. The above-quoted line made it clear for me. Thanks so much for that...It's perfect.

The last line is priceless.

I enjoyed this...
    I often have silly little thoughts like this. They hang around like flies when I'm trying to write, so I stick them to the paper.
    Just An Ordinary Bloke, Doing Ordinary Things, In An Extraordinary World.

Quote Originally Posted by TheMightyAz View Post

Words

How do you start? There, right there. Sometimes ending with a question mark and sometimes ending with a full stop. But why? Why do we put words down on paper? Is it to create, express or to confess? It seems to me that whilst we write our thoughts are focused, uninhibited and uncensored. The voice we hear, reading internally each word as we type, prevents us from straying, prevents us from hiding … perhaps? From what would we be hiding though?

They say to ‘write from your own experience.’ That doesn’t mean place down words describing our day, it means open your soul for examination. Each and every one of us has exactly the same ingredients. It’s only the quantity of each ingredient that makes us unique.

So, when we take ourselves, dig deep into our minds and find those little lost graves we thought we’d buried long ago, we feel free to attribute them to others, to our ‘characters’. They carry our burden. And in so doing, show us who we truly are. We never admit to ourselves of course. Why would we?

And yet, even as I type these words, I see nothing of myself here. Only words. It’s because I’m expressing the truth. The irony then is that only when we lie with words can we fully appreciate the truth behind them.
    Lovely concept. I related to all that what you wrote. What we write is not just, what we want to confess (in fact more than confessing, we insist to write on, what we want from ourselves, our surroundings, which we haven't been able to achieve so far and we see chances so dim for that). Our words sometimes introduce our new us to us. While writing we come across our own interpretation, which was hidden from ourselves for the lack of expression. " We" for a writer includes too many things at a time. Prevailing time, situations, regions and too many other things which influence imagination become part of " We". And that's how the words flow in story or poems or anything on " We".
    Disclaimer: That's only how I write.
    I would like to read views of other writers also for how they write.

Thanks for sharing it here.

Ritu

Some great thoughts on the why and how of the creative process as it pertains to writing.

I tend to start a sentence and then see where my mind takes the narrative as the ideas tumble from my brain. This rather undisciplined approach can lead to much in the way of content, but little in the way of polish and structure. As I look back over what I've written I usually get a strong sense of my values and experiences reflected in the characters' motivations and actions. I imagine this is a fairly common outcome, however, I fear that for myself, it is also a too safe and too comfortable writing experience.