Share the joy: what's your writing success today?

Page 1 of 28 12345678911 ... LastLast

Thread: Share the joy: what's your writing success today?

Share the joy: what's your writing success today?

Just finished chapter 23 of the first draft of my next novel. I'm heading into the climax of the story - feeling excited.
    Changed the title yet again, now it's Afterworld: Redemption.

Nice! I like the title. Is it part of a series?

I just finished chapter twenty-five of my first novel. I was pleased to have it complete, because it was a particularly difficult chapter. It holds clues to the mystery and needs to tie into previous chapter foreshadowing, as well as lead to the next suspicious event. My plot is based on true events of a certain period, so I had to do quite a bit of digging to find an appropriate clue. I'm really happy that I found something with good bones, that I can build on.
    Last edited by Taylor; January 22nd, 2021 at 01:53 AM.
    Sometimes in the waves of change we find our new direction...
    - unknown

Great news, Indianroads! Great title.

Taylor, WTG!

Nice to hear of progress, hat's off to the writers of long works! Nice idea for a thread, too.

I'm happy that I've had about an hour from 7 am to 8 am open up four mornings a week and I've been getting my coffee, herding up my new little neurons, and writing for most of that time. I've got a possibly-short-story underway, about 2,900 words into the first draft and the juice is still flowing so that's always a good day.

Taylor & Foxee, great news!

Taylor: I'm unsure if my current work will become a series, unlike my Extinction series I don’t see an overarching theme or story, but the world it’s set in has the potential to spawn more tales. So, for now it’s stand alone. Next up could be a prehistory tale around the Gobekli Tepe archeological site.

Foxee: I’m enjoying the luxury of retirement, and write for about five hours a day. Life is good for this old fart.

Can I jump the gun? I got off to a slow start on Chapter 17, just 500 words each two nights in a row. Night before last I got out 1500 words, though, which gets me to half the chapter. As I've mentioned elsewhere, I zone in on 5000 word chapters as an average, looking for 20 chapters for 100K words. All of my early writing career was spent budgeting stories to specific word counts, so that's where this comes from.

So tonight I'm about to bear down on the last half of Chapter 17 and hopefully polish it off. I know where it's going, and as long as that's in mind, I can crank out the words. Here's my favorite scene from the first half of the chapter:

"I'm looking for a friend. He's likely in an opium den. What I want from you is a list of opium dens."

He digested this statement and looked us over. There was never a local narc who looked like us. I didn't consider the man quick-witted, but I had confidence he could get that far. I also had confidence he'd realize he looked on a foreign couple, likely holding a roll of cash, in an alley they should never have walked down. I saw that gleam in his eyes, but I knew he'd as of yet no opportunity to pass the word along so we could be surrounded. I glanced at Agares, shrugged, and kicked him in the nuts. I dragged what was left out into the alley, and pulled the door closed behind him.

He whined pitifully. I gave Agares the high sign. She displayed fangs and extended her fingernails, the same ones which had gashed Athena's cheek and shredded a priceless Persian rug. She used the middle nail on her left hand to draw blood on his neck, showed him the blood, then licked it to clean the nail. A new combination of expressions revealed themselves fear and contrition.

"As soon as you feel like talking, I'll have that list. Of course, we could get it from someone else once you're no longer available to speak."

We got the list.

Thank you ... and update ... I made it. 5200 words plus, and on to Chapter 18. I've got to wrap this bugger up in the next three chapters! Hmmmmnnnn.

Well, last year in January, I started my novel. My goal was to write a minimum of two chapters a month. I had some really productive months in the Spring, beating my target. Then in August to November, I got distracted when we sold our family home, downsized and moved to a small town. It had gone completely cold. Then I started back up with encouragement from this forum, and made really good time in December and early January. Today I started chapter twenty-six. If I can complete it by January 31, I will have caught up to my original goal.

Thanks to all of those who said, just write...write...write!
    Last edited by Taylor; January 23rd, 2021 at 02:17 AM.
    Sometimes in the waves of change we find our new direction...
    - unknown

Yesterday, finished the first book in a new series, it came in around 117k and took just over a month to write. Today, I'm off to editing and I'm reading an entire series that I wrote last year so I can get through editing duties on the final book.

Quote Originally Posted by Taylor View Post
    Well, last year in January, I started my novel. My goal was to write a minimum of two paragraphs a month. I had some really productive months in the Spring, beating my target. Then in August to November, I got distracted when we sold our family home, downsized and moved to a small town. It had gone completely cold. Then I started back up with encouragement from this forum, and made really good time in December and early January. Today I started chapter twenty-six. If I can complete it by January 31, I will have caught up to my original goal.

Thanks to all of those who said, just write...write...write!
    Did you mean "two chapters a month"?

And well done. About how close do you think you are overall to completion?

Page 1 of 28 12345678911 ... LastLast