Share the joy: what's your writing success today? - Page 7

Page 7 of 28 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141517 ... LastLast

Thread: Share the joy: what's your writing success today?

Quote Originally Posted by indianroads View Post
    That's excellent, thank you very much.
    I've been using a somewhat similar template: https://blog.reedsy.com/write-blurb-novel/
    This sight looks good too, but I like the addition of the antagonist and the sales pitch at the end. I learmed about those from another site.

Anyway...have fun!
    Sometimes in the waves of change we find our new direction...
    - unknown

Quote Originally Posted by Taylor View Post
    This sight looks good too, but I like the addition of the antagonist and the sales pitch at the end. I learmed about those from another site.

Anyway...have fun!
    I always liked this blurb - which is actually a product description (I wonder if I should start a separate blurb/description thread?). It's for Andy Weir's Artemis:

Jasmine Bashara never signed up to be a hero. She just wanted to get rich.

Not crazy, eccentric-billionaire rich, like many of the visitors to her hometown of Artemis, humanity’s first and only lunar colony. Just rich enough to move out of her coffin-sized apartment and eat something better than flavored algae. Rich enough to pay off a debt she’s owed for a long time.

So when a chance at a huge score finally comes her way, Jazz can’t say no. Sure, it requires her to graduate from small-time smuggler to full-on criminal mastermind. And it calls for a particular combination of cunning, technical skills, and large explosions—not to mention sheer brazen swagger. But Jazz has never run into a challenge her intellect can’t handle, and she figures she’s got the ‘swagger’ part down.

The trouble is, engineering the perfect crime is just the start of Jazz’s problems. Because her little heist is about to land her in the middle of a conspiracy for control of Artemis itself.

Trapped between competing forces, pursued by a killer and the law alike, even Jazz has to admit she’s in way over her head. She’ll have to hatch a truly spectacular scheme to have a chance at staying alive and saving her city.

Jazz is no hero, but she is a very good criminal.

That’ll have to do.

I always liked this blurb - which is actually a product description (I wonder if I should start a separate blurb/description thread?). It's for Andy Weir's Artemis:

Jasmine Bashara never signed up to be a hero. She just wanted to get rich.

Not crazy, eccentric-billionaire rich, like many of the visitors to her hometown of Artemis, humanity’s first and only lunar colony. Just rich enough to move out of her coffin-sized apartment and eat something better than flavored algae. Rich enough to pay off a debt she’s owed for a long time.

So when a chance at a huge score finally comes her way, Jazz can’t say no. Sure, it requires her to graduate from small-time smuggler to full-on criminal mastermind. And it calls for a particular combination of cunning, technical skills, and large explosions—not to mention sheer brazen swagger. But Jazz has never run into a challenge her intellect can’t handle, and she figures she’s got the ‘swagger’ part down.

The trouble is, engineering the perfect crime is just the start of Jazz’s problems. Because her little heist is about to land her in the middle of a conspiracy for control of Artemis itself.

Trapped between competing forces, pursued by a killer and the law alike, even Jazz has to admit she’s in way over her head. She’ll have to hatch a truly spectacular scheme to have a chance at staying alive and saving her city.

Jazz is no hero, but she is a very good criminal.

That’ll have to do.
    Yes I like it! They mention the word "rich" four times. That will attract a certain target market, like me. I love to read about rich people.

I think a thread would be good. You could get other people's opninions as well.
    - unknown

Yes I like it! They mention the word "rich" four times. That will attract a certain target market, like me. I love to read about rich people.

I think a thread would be good. You could get other people's opninions as well.
    I like that blurb because it communicates the character so well. Yes, it's set on the Moon, which is an interesting setting, but Jazz drives the story.

I like that blurb because it communicates the character so well. Yes, it's set on the Moon, which is an interesting setting, but Jazz drives the story.
    Although on second read, I see she is not really rich...lol!
    - unknown

Although on second read, I see she is not really rich...lol!
    Nope, she's living in the lowest levels in a pod that's the size of a coffin.

BTW: I started a blurb thread.

Not a success but I've started publishing my finished story chapter by chapter to Wattpad.

It's not like I have other choice.

Cranked out another 1500 words in Chapter 19, leading my wife to worry how much over word budget I'll wind up for the novel. LOL

I wound up with a scene I hadn't really planned at the moment, but it had to come sometime. Many chapters earlier, the MC was bullied into doing something which the discerning reader would expect to have negative consequences. I couldn't leave that hanging, and it turned out this was a good place to explore the ramifications.

In the middle I wrote a paragraph I call "eating words". Eating words is writing something that isn't essential to advance the story's action, but is (hopefully) entertaining and/or scene setting. If you don't have enough parts of scenes that "eat words", you'll never get to 100K+ words for your novel.

I heard croaking by the riverbank from some huge, deformed frogs. They were flicking their tongues into the river and coming back out with fish of unappetizing appearance. Then a tongue flicked back out of the river and retracted holding one of the frogs. The rest scattered inland in a panic. One slammed directly into me, leaving a slimy mess on my pants. It dropped straight down, and I kicked it into the river, hoping the frog-eater would get it. I realized if I tried to wipe off my pants, I'd just get the mess on my hands. Then I'd have to go to the riverbank to wash off my hands. The tongue I'd just seen had been about a foot wide. I walked north with slimy pants.
    Last edited by vranger; February 3rd, 2021 at 12:27 PM.

Only 499 words today...but they were good words...so I'm satisfied.
    - unknown

Wrapped up Chapter 19 in my normal post-midnight writing session, which rounded out my word count at just over 96K. I'm definitely NOT going to wrap this up in the next 5K words. 10 might still do it, though. Regardless, 96K is a lot of writing behind me.

This is a book I started 12 years ago and had about 12K in not quite three chapters. I continued it in late September, so a lot of production since then.