Share the joy: what's your writing success today? - Page 6

Page 6 of 28 FirstFirst 123456789101112131416 ... LastLast

Thread: Share the joy: what's your writing success today?

Blog Entries
    I managed to finish a chapter of an old story.I had put that story aside, because I didn't know how to continue.
    Now, however, I have a precise idea.
    My dream? Being able to enter people's hearts with words: giving emotions and dreams.
    JK Rowling (Harry Potter) has been rejected more than 10 times Remember, don't give up!
    Thank you all for the help you give me to improve my English.

A beta reader just gave me a withering, devastating critique. I'm trying to treat it as a positive thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Backstroke_Italics View Post
    A beta reader just gave me a withering, devastating critique. I'm trying to treat it as a positive thing.
    I've cut betas loose for this reason before. I don't need gushing praise and am always keen to know when something isn't working, but if the person obviously can't stand the thing, and sees no way of balancing honesty with respect, they're not the right audience for me.

Hidden Content Monthly Fiction Challenge

The first cut don't hurt at all
    The second only makes you wonder
    The third will have you on your knee
    s
    - Propaganda, "Duel"

Is this fire, or is this mask?
    It's the Mantasy!
    - Anonymous

I don't mean they were rude. Quite the opposite. It was just a bitter pill to swallow when I saw how many problems there are to fix. I'm trying to remember that this is the point of beta reading, and I should be glad that I didn't try to publish something before it's ready.

The first Draft of Afterworld: Redemption is DONE!!! It came in at a bit under 102K words, which is right where I wanted it. It's a little lengthy on the back end, but that will be fixed in the editing phase.

I'll take a break from the MS for a few days... but will still do some work on the blurb (I hate writing blurbs). I also have a short story in mind for my website, so I'll get on that too.

Anyway - it's a good day! The first draft is DONE!

Quote Originally Posted by indianroads View Post
    The first Draft of Afterworld: Redemption is DONE!!! It came in at a bit under 102K words, which is right where I wanted it. It's a little lengthy on the back end, but that will be fixed in the editing phase.

I'll take a break from the MS for a few days... but will still do some work on the blurb (I hate writing blurbs). I also have a short story in mind for my website, so I'll get on that too.

Anyway - it's a good day! The first draft is DONE!
    CONGRATULATIONS!!! A good day indeed.

Did you see my break down of the Stephen King blurb? That might help.
    Sometimes in the waves of change we find our new direction...
    - unknown

Quote Originally Posted by Taylor View Post
    CONGRATULATIONS!!! A good day indeed.

Did you see my break down of the Steven King blurb? That might help.
    No, I missed it. Which thread is it in?

Quote Originally Posted by indianroads View Post
    No, I missed it. Which thread is it in?
    I can't find the thread anymore, but here it is. I read a bunch of his back blurbs and they were all pretty similar.

Let's look at a Stephen King novel, The Outsider, ​for an example of a good blurb and break it down:

"A living nightmare has come to flint city, Oklahoma, as an eleven year old boy is found brutally murdered, in a local park - an unspeakable crime that rocks local law enforcement to its core as the most heinous atrocity anyone there has ever witnessed. Equally stunning is the identity of the prime suspect: Terry Maitland, one of Flint CIty’s most popular citizens, as well as a little league coach, English teacher, and devoted husband and father. Detective Ralph Anderson, whose own son Maitland once coached, orders a quick and very public arrest. Multiple eyewitnesses and irrefutable evidence mean an ironclad case...until the investigation expands, and horrifying new details begin to emerge. Terry Maitland seems like a nice guy, but is he wearing another face? When the answer is revealed, it will shock you as only master storyteller Stephen King can."

1) - The plot:"A living nightmare has come to flint city, Oklahoma, as an eleven year old boy is found brutally murdered, in a local park - an unspeakable crime that rocks local law enforcement to its core as the most heinous atrocity anyone there has ever witnessed."

2) - The protagonist:"Equally stunning is the identity of the prime suspect: Terry Maitland, one of Flint City’s most popular citizens, as well as a little league coach, English teacher, and devoted husband and father."

3) - The antagonist:"Detective Ralph Anderson, whose own son Maitland once coached, orders a quick and very public arrest."

4) - The genre:"Multiple eyewitnesses and irrefutable evidence mean an ironclad case...until the investigation expands, and horrifying new details begin to emerge."

5) - The hook: "Terry Maitland seems like a nice guy, but is he wearing another face?"

6) - The sales pitch:"When the answer is revealed, it will shock you as only master storyteller Stephen King can."

And all of this is captured in 141 words.
    Sometimes in the waves of change we find our new direction...
    - unknown

Did not quit today.

Quote Originally Posted by Taylor View Post
    I can't find the thread anymore, but here it is. I read a bunch of his back blurbs and they were all pretty similar.

Let's look at a Stephen King novel, The Outsider, ​for an example of a good blurb and break it down:

"A living nightmare has come to flint city, Oklahoma, as an eleven year old boy is found brutally murdered, in a local park - an unspeakable crime that rocks local law enforcement to its core as the most heinous atrocity anyone there has ever witnessed. Equally stunning is the identity of the prime suspect: Terry Maitland, one of Flint CIty’s most popular citizens, as well as a little league coach, English teacher, and devoted husband and father. Detective Ralph Anderson, whose own son Maitland once coached, orders a quick and very public arrest. Multiple eyewitnesses and irrefutable evidence mean an ironclad case...until the investigation expands, and horrifying new details begin to emerge. Terry Maitland seems like a nice guy, but is he wearing another face? When the answer is revealed, it will shock you as only master storyteller Stephen King can."

1) - The plot:"A living nightmare has come to flint city, Oklahoma, as an eleven year old boy is found brutally murdered, in a local park - an unspeakable crime that rocks local law enforcement to its core as the most heinous atrocity anyone there has ever witnessed."

2) - The protagonist:"Equally stunning is the identity of the prime suspect: Terry Maitland, one of Flint City’s most popular citizens, as well as a little league coach, English teacher, and devoted husband and father."

3) - The antagonist:"Detective Ralph Anderson, whose own son Maitland once coached, orders a quick and very public arrest."

4) - The genre:"Multiple eyewitnesses and irrefutable evidence mean an ironclad case...until the investigation expands, and horrifying new details begin to emerge."

5) - The hook: "Terry Maitland seems like a nice guy, but is he wearing another face?"

6) - The sales pitch:"When the answer is revealed, it will shock you as only master storyteller Stephen King can."

And all of this is captured in 141 words.
    That's excellent, thank you very much.
    I've been using a somewhat similar template: https://blog.reedsy.com/write-blurb-novel/