Share the joy: what's your writing success today? - Page 3

Page 3 of 29 FirstFirst 123456789101113 ... LastLast

Thread: Share the joy: what's your writing success today?

Quote Originally Posted by Taylor View Post
    My writing has slowed down these last few days because I am navigating through a treacherous part of the story arc. It is based on real life events of a crime, something like building a fictional story around an actual war. The facts and timelines need to be authentic. But then trying to weave in the fictional part, it all has to work believably with the reality. I feel sort of like I'm on tightrope for a short period and there's no way around it. Only about 400-600 words a day. The good part is, I know if I hunker down and do it, I'll be out of this passage soon, and can get back onto the fun stuff, like the steamy romance.
    we all have unique ways of of navigating through our stories. I find it helpful to open a word doc and write out the points I need to cover as bullet points. Then I read through it and can easily move things around before committing it to actual writing.

I jumped into Chapter 18 just before midnight, and shook up my normal pattern. Usually my big action scenes end a chapter, and the start of the next chapter wraps up any questions about what happened in the 'fog of war', then builds the scenario the chapter is to cover.

Chapter 17 ended with an action sequence, and Chapter 18 started with the protagonists briefly believing they were in the clear before realizing they were still in danger, then proceeded into an even more intense battle. 1700 words later, that battle is over, as is my writing for the evening.

I've got a list of characters on each side of the struggle to kill off by the climax, and I'm lagging behind. I'm starting to think I'm doomed to run over my word count. LOL But ... I did finish off two bad guys in this battle. So ... progress.

Today I probably have finished the working draft of the exposition scene for the first chapter. So I am pretty happy with the imaginary that I had found.

I wrote a couple of paragraphs of a story. Doesn't sound like much but I've been having more trouble than usual lately. Getting words down is the most important thing.

First draft of Chapter 25 was finished today - three more chapters and the first cut of the novel will be complete. Word count is running at rate that will bring me to about 102K, that's a bit high but I'll trim it back during edit.

The FMC's city - that she had risen in power to rule collapsed by her own hand. This is part of her metamorphosis from a terrible person to someone that wants to be better.

The MMC showed her how to do it, but left the choice up to her. He's also morphing and growing a conscience.

I've been sidetracked with life this month, but was given tons of inspiration so even though I wasn't writing as much, creativity was still flowing. I've been taking an online workshop on Flash CFN, and will have my first piece ready to submit to a lit mag by the end of January. Which lit mag? Idk yet ...
    I write emotional algebra - Anais Nin

The universe is made of stories, not of atoms - Muriel Rukeyser

Quote Originally Posted by Terra View Post
    I've been sidetracked with life this month, but was given tons of inspiration so even though I wasn't writing as much, creativity was still flowing. I've been taking an online workshop on Flash CFN, and will have my first piece ready to submit to a lit mag by the end of January. Which lit mag? Idk yet ...
    If you like that sort of thing check to see if there is a writers guild in your area. I live near Colorado Springs, and we have the 'Pikes Peak Writers Guild' - it's a good group that helps answer questions and offer support. We used to meet in person once a month... but haven't in a LOOOONNNNGG time. They host virtual meetings, but I hate those.

We also have an event called 'Write Drunk, Edit Sober' - which kinda tells you what the group is like.

Anyway, go a internet search and see what you come up with.

Quote Originally Posted by indianroads View Post
    We also have an event called 'Write Drunk, Edit Sober' - which kinda tells you what the group is like.
    I don't "write drunk" but I do like to sip port or brandy (occasionally Scotch) during my late evening writing sessions.

Quote Originally Posted by BrandonTheWriter View Post
    I wrote a couple of paragraphs of a story. Doesn't sound like much but I've been having more trouble than usual lately. Getting words down is the most important thing.
    Glad to see you are back in the saddle.
    Sometimes in the waves of change we find our new direction...
    - unknown

Blog Entries
    Figured out the main plan for the antagonist of my next novel. I have the motivation, but not the overall plan he was working towards to achieve the main objective.
    Where you can purchase a copy of Fallen Sun, my second novel. Hidden Content