Share the joy: what's your writing success today? - Page 16

Page 16 of 28 FirstFirst ... 68910111213141516171819202122232426 ... LastLast

Thread: Share the joy: what's your writing success today?

I wrote my butt off today, but got my first draft of the Participant Manual completed and submitted for approval. The client must be happy, I just signed a two year contract.
    Sometimes in the waves of change we find our new direction...
    - unknown

Quote Originally Posted by Taylor View Post
    I wrote my butt off today, but got my first draft of the Participant Manual completed and submitted for approval. The client must be happy, I just signed a two year contract.
    Alright! Awesome news.
    Take this opinion from someone that grew up on the street: money = good.

Big sigh. I just finished the first proof of the novel, with 917 sentences changed. So now I review those 917 sentences again. As I mentioned before, it's just as easy to introduce a typo when editing a sentence as when writing it in the first place, so every sentence changed gets another look.

I didn't actually have 917 typos or clarity adjustments. As it turns out, exporting from Scrivener to RTF, loading that in Word, then copy and pasting it into my app wound up with some formatting glitches that came from some very odd Rich Text tags Scrivener produces. So I had things like italics with no space after the word, apostrophes with a space generated in front of them ... miniscule corrections ... but my app still flags them as changes. I'm not blaming this on Scrivener, it's a combination of RTF tags out of Scrivener which are different than what Word produces, and my code which parses RTF tags when I break out individual sentences. I have to examine those tags and add code to recognize the ones coming out of Scrivener.

Those 917 sentences are going to take two and a half man-hours to review, which I can't do in one sitting. So if you see me posting here, you'll know when I'm taking respite from the salt mines. LOL

Off Topic Note: My wife recently had cataract surgery on both eyes (one at a time), and we got her the top end lenses. Now she can read my computer screen from across the room. I've asked if we can get a refund and get the original lenses restored, but she's resistant to that suggestion. (She just looked over here and said, "917 huh?")
    Last edited by vranger; February 25th, 2021 at 04:12 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by indianroads View Post
    Alright! Awesome news.
    Take this opinion from someone that grew up on the street: money = good.
    I grew up in a Scottish entrepreneurial family so I do believe that money should have a certain direction = toward me. If it's going the other way I need to reconsider that.

After five straight days of messing up/giving away my writing time and worrying that all my ideas had leaked out, I sat down this morning and banged out a story that I'm 2100 words into and not done yet. Best of all, I keep chuckling as I write. At least I'm keeping myself entertained!
    What comes after the NaPo storm of poetry?
    Get ready for the
    May 2021 Collaborator Challenge.

Send your potential partner a fruit basket and start begging!

Blog Entries
    I completely redone the first chapter of my novel.
    I have changed a lot of things.
    Now, I like it more.
    My dream? Being able to enter people's hearts with words: giving emotions and dreams.
    JK Rowling (Harry Potter) has been rejected more than 10 times Remember, don't give up!
    Thank you all for the help you give me to improve my English.

Quote Originally Posted by Foxee View Post
    I grew up in a Scottish entrepreneurial family so I do believe that money should have a certain direction = toward me. If it's going the other way I need to reconsider that.

After five straight days of messing up/giving away my writing time and worrying that all my ideas had leaked out, I sat down this morning and banged out a story that I'm 2100 words into and not done yet. Best of all, I keep chuckling as I write. At least I'm keeping myself entertained!
    I love it when that happens.

Quote Originally Posted by LadySilence View Post
    I completely redone the first chapter of my novel.
    I have changed a lot of things.
    Now, I like it more.
    Awesome! Keep it rolling along.

I have not met my minimum 200 words a day on my novel for the last week.

It's funny how before I took this contract to help out the government with respect to new Covid requirements, I had not been affected much by Covid at all. Now I live, eat and breath Covid! I'm hoping to carve out some time on the weekend to get caught up.
    - unknown

I have not met my minimum 200 words a day on my novel for the last week.

It's funny how before I took this contract to help out the government with respect to new Covid requirements, I had not been affected much by Covid at all. Now I live, eat and breath Covid! I'm hoping to carve out some time on the weekend to get caught up.
    Yay, even though I was really tired from last week, I managed to drag my butt to the computer and hammer out 1200 words. They were important ones too, because they set out the last business transcation that must occur for the big reveal. Feels good. I'm going to have a glass of wine now. It's 5 o'clock somewhere isn't it?
    - unknown

Yay, even though I was really tired from last week, I managed to drag my butt to the computer and hammer out 1200 words. They were important ones too, because they set out the last business transcation that must occur for the big reveal. Feels good. I'm going to have a glass of wine now. It's 5 o'clock somewhere isn't it?
    Great! Perseverance, we just gotta keep at it.

I'm closing in on the halfway point in my second edit of my WIP. It's going well, but my cover designer won't get to my stuff until July - and my book will probably be done by the end of May.