Share the joy: what's your writing success today? - Page 11

Page 11 of 28 FirstFirst ... 34567891011121314151617181921 ... LastLast

Thread: Share the joy: what's your writing success today?

I got inspired today after reading a story and so after reading critically I am planning on replacing the characters, theme, and I should have an original story since I am only to reimagine it drastically. It's a reimagining.

I found this book that talks about photography and how to be inspired by it. Picture memoirs can help me describe better. They aren't expensive usually I believe, and I found one that has 500 pages and costs 4 dollars. The location of the place is what I wanted, and it has pictures to help imagine the place as well as facts. The below book prompted it. Photo memoirs could be a decent way to describe. I do appreciate the previous advice on description. This was can be used for any sort of descriptive writing. So this is another approach if you will.

Write What You See: 99 Photos to Inspire Writing

I dont usually rewrite stories which is why I am going to say this is the first time I retell a different story.

Some strategies are photo essays (the best strategy for description since it is free and includes the vocabulary on the internet): Analyzing photo essays, family photos, found photographs, and memoirs.
    Last edited by Theglasshouse; February 17th, 2021 at 10:53 PM.
    I would follow as in believe in the words of good moral leaders. Rather than the beliefs of oneself.
    The most difficult thing for a writer to comprehend is to experience silence, so speak up. (quoted from a member)

Quote Originally Posted by indianroads View Post
    Client? What are you writing?
    There are significant changes in policy at the provincial government due to Covid with respect to financial controls. Employees need training. I'm designing and authoring the training manuals and scripts for the training videos.

I was worried when I took on the contract that my novel would stall, but it hasn't and I am still finding time to write.

I'm actually finding it quite inspiring working in government again. The basis for my novel involves public policy, and it's something that fascinates me. I'm hoping it's something that people will like to read about when wrapped in fiction. Going back to working with policy in real life is like a renewal of my original motivation to write fiction.

EDIT: The other thing I just realized is that there is a fair bit of fiction writing with the training because I create fictional cases as examples of the lessons. Characters, plots and all!
    Last edited by Taylor; February 17th, 2021 at 05:05 PM.
    Sometimes in the waves of change we find our new direction...
    - unknown

Quote Originally Posted by Theglasshouse View Post
    I got inspired today after reading a story and so after reading critically I am planning on replacing the characters, theme, and I should have an original story since I am only to reimagine it drastically. It's a reimagining.

I found this book that talks about photography and how to be inspired by it. Picture memoirs can help me describe better. They aren't expensive usually I believe, and I found one that has 500 pages and costs 4 dollars. The location of the place is what I wanted, and it has pictures to help imagine the place as well as facts. The below book prompted it. Photo memoirs could be a decent way to describe. I do appreciate the previous advice on description. This was can be used for any sort of descriptive writing. So this is another approach if you will.

Write What You See: 99 Photos to Inspire Writing

I dont usually rewrite stories which is why I am going to say this is the first time I retell a different story.
    Oh I'm so happy for you...that sounds perfect! Have fun!!
    - unknown

Quote Originally Posted by Taylor View Post
    There are significant changes in policy at the provincial government due to Covid with respect to financial controls. Employees need training. I'm designing and authoring the training manuals and scripts for the training videos.

I was worried when I took on the contract that my novel would stall, but it hasn't and I am still finding time to write.

I'm actually finding it quite inspiring working in government again. The basis for my novel involves public policy, and it's something that fascinates me. I'm hoping it's something that people will like to read about when wrapped in fiction. Going back to working with policy in real life is like a renewal of my original motivation to write fiction.

EDIT: The other thing I just realized is that there is a fair bit of fiction writing with the training because I create fictional cases as examples of the lessons. Characters, plots and all!
    that’s interesting. I believe that anytime we compose thoughts in writing we learn and improve.

Quote Originally Posted by Foxee View Post
    Today when my dedicated writing time turned into complete bus-garage-calling chaos over getting my son where he needed to go, I still managed to churn out fifteen minutes of writing and then started to dissect this story to see what it needs and doesn't need. Still working, still in it.

Overcoming obstacles in my creative life is a big deal for me so I'm very happy! (and thank you for a place to mention it)
    Awesome!

Quote Originally Posted by indianroads View Post
    thatís interesting. I believe that anytime we compose thoughts in writing we learn and improve.
    Oh I know. I started doing this type of work about 10 years ago. In the early days it took me forever to craft the fictional cases. They have to illustrate the issue while the characters basically screw up so the participants can see what not to do, and what the potential outcome would be. I remember having the drafts go around and around to various policy folks for revisions. That was so educational because now, I just bang them together.

I see that you have drawn on your engineering experience with the Extinction Series. Have you ever thought of writing a modern day mystery around Silicon Valley?

- unknown

I see that you have drawn on your engineering experience with the Extinction Series. Have you ever thought of writing a modern day mystery around Silicon Valley?
    I second this idea!
    What comes after the NaPo storm of poetry?
    Get ready for the
    May 2021 Collaborator Challenge.

Send your potential partner a fruit basket and start begging!

Oh I know. I started doing this type of work about 10 years ago. In the early days it took me forever to craft the fictional cases. They have to illustrate the issue while the characters basically screw up so the participants can see what not to do, and what the potential outcome would be. I remember having the drafts go around and around to various policy folks for revisions. That was so educational because now, I just bang them together.

Quote Originally Posted by Foxee View Post
    I second this idea!
    That's never crossed my mind... and I'll give it some thought.

A heist would be amusing... everyone would get stuck in traffic.

Getting back to the dang craft. Man, if I have to sacrifice reading this modernist degeneracy in my textual analysis class to actually find the time to write some experimental pulp (ala my working lifeblood), I'll stop reading the modernism. Cane is awful. Story upon story about touching a black woman's chest. No. Thank. You.

On a bright side, my fiction writing professor wants us to start pitching short story ideas, so I threw her one of my stuck-in-the-basement-at-2AM-with-old-friends concepts:

Thomas Dutch is Copperman, a human with the supernatural ability to turn into molten metal and absolutely nothing else, forcing him to rely on his stoic blacksmith girlfriend to forge him into a blade of raw iron and defeat the CYBERWITCHES, an order of demon-worshipping women with extensive cybernetic enhancements that jack into HELL ITSELF.
    Nail it to the Cross

This was the most heart-warming thing I read all day-- I wonder how it strikes other writers.
    https://www.newyorker.com/books/page...negut-a-writer