Words we don't know - Page 6

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Words we don't know

I just learned "Purloin" - To steal, especially in a stealthy way.

I could see lots of use for that.
    Sometimes in the waves of change we find our new direction...
    - unknown

Quote Originally Posted by Taylor View Post
    I just learned "Purloin" - To steal, especially in a stealthy way.

I could see lots of use for that.
    You need to read more Poe.

Quote Originally Posted by Jk_Sl View Post
    I love Meraki - To do everything with soul and passion , to put everything you have into something you love with absolute devotion, and undivided attention.

J.
    Can you use it in a sentence?
    When the night has come
    And the land is dark
    And the moon is the only light we'll see
    I won't be afraid, no I won't be afraid
    Just as long as you stand by me.

Quote Originally Posted by TheMightyAz View Post
    This could go on all night! lol
    I was
    I was going to say Clive Barker. LOL! j/k
    When the night has come
    And the land is dark
    And the moon is the only light we'll see
    I won't be afraid, no I won't be afraid
    Just as long as you stand by me.

Quote Originally Posted by SueC View Post
    Can you use it in a sentence?
    I will try 🤍🤍

condign - adj. meaning “of a fitting punishment.”
    Vaticination - a foretelling of the future
    Indurate - harden

Insouciance - being boldly, blithely carefree

Quote Originally Posted by SueC View Post
    I was reading an article in the Guardian on President Trump this morning and along came this word:

perspicacity

It means: Perspicacity is a penetrating discernment —a clarity of vision or intellect which provides a deep understanding and insight. It takes the concept of wisdom deeper in the sense that it denotes a keenness of sense and intelligence applied to insight. It has been described as a deeper level of internalization.

The author said that Trump did not posses this quality, so I had to look it up. I agreed with his assessment, but I wondered - how many of you look up words that you don't know when you see them in print or on the Internet, or do you just read on hoping you'll get the gist eventually? Are you compelled sometimes to use unusual words in your stories, just for the fun of it?
    I do that more often in such a horrible way that people easily notice that English is not my first language. But before writing any story, I will try to make myself a bit better.

Ritu

Quote Originally Posted by ritudimrinautiyal View Post
    I do that more often in such a horrible way that people easily notice that English is not my first language. But before writing any story, I will try to make myself a bit better.

Ritu
    By all means, keep improving. But don't think your English is horrible. Who cares if somebody can tell it's not your native tongue? I love reading and listening to people whose primary language is anything but English because they have a different viewpoint and come up with interesting ways to explain things.

Myself, the only language have any fluency is English. Apologize for nothing. I think it's awesome you're here on the forums.

Quote Originally Posted by MistWolf View Post
    By all means, keep improving. But don't think your English is horrible. Who cares if somebody can tell it's not your native tongue? I love reading and listening to people whose primary language is anything but English because they have a different viewpoint and come up with interesting ways to explain things.

Myself, the only language have any fluency is English. Apologize for nothing. I think it's awesome you're here on the forums.
    I like your perspective.

Thanks dear

Ritu

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast