Preparing Poetry for Publication

Thread: Preparing Poetry for Publication

Preparing Poetry for Publication

Hello all,

Iím sorry if Iíve posted this in the wrong place, but I was wondering if anyone had any advice on preparing and submitting poetry for publication?

In the past, Iíve had poems published in online journals and a few poetry magazines, but Iím wondering what the next step is and how you go about making it happen.

From what Iíve read elsewhere the next step would be chapbooks/ pamphlets and I would say that itís only in the last few months I would say that I feel I have a started to collate decent collection that fits together rather than feeling like a group of unconnected poems. Or is there another step between these two stages I should be looking at?

In terms of preparing these pieces for publication, I know of a few published poets who offer a paid advise service but Iíve never gone beyond enquiry with this, has anyone done this? Was it useful?

Finally for anyone out there who has succeeded in having a collection or pamphlet published is there a rough word count or number of poems I should be looking at? And is there any publishers you would recommend me pursuing?

Thank you in advance for any advice you can provide.

Syd

Quote Originally Posted by 2020Syd2020 View Post
    Hello all,

Iím sorry if Iíve posted this in the wrong place, but I was wondering if anyone had any advice on preparing and submitting poetry for publication?

In the past, Iíve had poems published in online journals and a few poetry magazines, but Iím wondering what the next step is and how you go about making it happen.

From what Iíve read elsewhere the next step would be chapbooks/ pamphlets and I would say that itís only in the last few months I would say that I feel I have a started to collate decent collection that fits together rather than feeling like a group of unconnected poems. Or is there another step between these two stages I should be looking at?

In terms of preparing these pieces for publication, I know of a few published poets who offer a paid advise service but Iíve never gone beyond enquiry with this, has anyone done this? Was it useful?

Finally for anyone out there who has succeeded in having a collection or pamphlet published is there a rough word count or number of poems I should be looking at? And is there any publishers you would recommend me pursuing?

Syd
    Hello,

This might not help , but in recent weeks I managed to get replies from poet J. Raymond and JH soul, also Mark Anthony replied.
    But just with knowledge to better my skills.
    It could be worth a shot, talking with them on Instagram if you wish.
    Hope this helps if any.

J.

Quote Originally Posted by 2020Syd2020 View Post
    Hello all,

Syd
    Syd, finding a publisher for poetry is very difficult. There are a few magazines out there that also publish poetry chapbooks, like Better than Starbucks, but you can't submit manuscripts there at the moment.
    And Rattle's Chapbook Prize
    A chapbook is roughly 50 pages, but that can vary from 20 to 70 pages. Depends.

Unfortunately I don't know other publishers at the moment. It's still the best way to get published in magazines, and win competitions. It gives you a better chance to find a publisher later on. Also, many poets only publish in magazines. Often magazines ask for 3 to 5 poems, it's not a bad thing at all.
    Hidden Content
    Follow Flashes on...Hidden Content ...Hidden Content ...Hidden Content
    (we even allow simultaneous submissions!)

Quote Originally Posted by Darren White View Post

Syd, finding a publisher for poetry is very difficult. There are a few magazines out there that also publish poetry chapbooks, like Better than Starbucks, but you can't submit manuscripts there at the moment.
    And Rattle's Chapbook Prize
    A chapbook is roughly 50 pages, but that can vary from 20 to 70 pages. Depends.

Unfortunately I don't know other publishers at the moment. It's still the best way to get published in magazines, and win competitions. It gives you a better chance to find a publisher later on. Also, many poets only publish in magazines. Often magazines ask for 3 to 5 poems, it's not a bad thing at all.
    Hello,

thank you. Like I say I’ve had a few pieces published in magazines and journals in the past, but I’ve never really sat down and worked on putting together a collection or ever considered entering anything into a competition. That is before now, there are one or two live at the minute that I might consider entering.

It’s hard to know where to start with it all, especially if you don’t come from a collegiate background. Where I’d imagine if you look in the right places and willing to put the work in you can get the support.

Thank you again

Syd

I would suggest first step is to get your manuscript together and then here are a couple of interesting resources from googling: "How do you publish a chapbook of poetry?"

https://www.pw.org/content/publishing_book
    https://writersrelief.com/2009/05/26/how-to-publish-a-poetry-book-chapbook-or-collection-of-poems/

https://trishhopkinson.com/2017/03/30/14-no-fee-chapbook-publishers-and-other-chapbook-listings/

You could consider self-publishing. You'd have to market for yourself and invest a bit more financially, but it is always a choice.