Post Your Useful Writing Videos Here - Page 2

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Post Your Useful Writing Videos Here

Quote Originally Posted by BrandonTheWriter View Post
    I think I've accepted today that writing isn't for me. I didn't want it to be true, but I'm just not having fun anymore. Not saying people should give up on their dream, but sometimes you're just not cut out for it. I can't handle the criticism and get discouraged really easily.
    At least you figure that out now before you waste years of your life on something you can't handle. Being a creative of any kind absolutely requires a very thick skin.

Sometimes it helps to have things explained with a different word picture. This really made sense to me.

I think I've accepted today that writing isn't for me. I didn't want it to be true, but I'm just not having fun anymore. Not saying people should give up on their dream, but sometimes you're just not cut out for it. I can't handle the criticism and get discouraged really easily.
    DO NOT THINK THAT! It's not criticism, it's critique. They are two completely different things. You need to know that people who take the time to critique are people that have seen something in your work of value. Critique is an indication you're doing something right! For three years I went to writing lessons and for all three it was 'that's nice, Paul ...' and then someone else read. I was passed over many many times. I WANTED critique. Then, one day, someone critiqued my work after I'd read it. Why? Because something about my writing, my story had captivated them enough to make the effort. Keep writing. It seems an impossible task at times but it's worth it in the long run.
    Just An Ordinary Bloke, Doing Ordinary Things, In An Extraordinary World.

Thank you, Az. That's exactly right. If I think a piece is valueless, I won't even bother critiquing. If I'm giving critique, it means I see something in the work.

But to Brandon, whether you choose to go on writing or choose a different path is dependent on a) what you really want to do and b) what you think you're meant to do. If you feel like giving up because receiving critique is hard, I'd encourage you to go on. Critique will toughen your spirit and improve your writing.

But if it's because you feel you're meant to do something else, I'm not going to presume your calling. There was a period when I wanted to be a CSO (type of Spec Ops officer). Cause, I mean, c'mon, Spec Ops is like the coolest thing ever, right? But when I considered it seriously, I realized that a) I didn't really want it enough for the difficulty of training (drowning, eep) to be worth it, and more importantly b) I don't think that's what I was actually made to be. I didn't sense God's calling (I'm a Christian) in that direction, and I recognized that it wasn't where my giftings were.

So, if writing is just a random hobby that seemed cool at one point and you're now realizing isn't for you, sure, go find your path elsewhere. But if you really, really cannot help but write, because it's what you really want and it's what you were made to do, do not abandon it because it's hard. Everything worthwhile is hard. In every worthwhile path you choose, there's going to be obstacles, and you're going to have to be tough.
    In my mouth, if there be sweetness,
    It has come from my Creator;
    If my hands are filled with beauty,
    All the beauty comes from God.
    ~ from The Kalevala (paraphrased)

Whom have I in heaven but You?
    And earth has nothing I desire besides You.

~ Psalm 73:25

Christ is risen from the dead,
    trampling on Death by death,
    And on those in the tombs,
    lavishing light.

Quote Originally Posted by Cephus View Post
    I forgot about this one, which is extremely true, even though most amateur writers don't want to listen:

Ok, sorry, but:
    "No one cares as much about your story than you."

Patently false. There are multiple stories I've wanted to abandon, but I have some very, very enthusiastic siblings who insist I absolutely must finish them. This is why the (honestly kind of stupid) horror novel I started in high school is still "something I'll finish someday, promise" instead of something I've just thrown out. Not to mention my little sister who draws fanart for comics I haven't even started writing yet. Lol!
    In my mouth, if there be sweetness,
    It has come from my Creator;
    If my hands are filled with beauty,
    All the beauty comes from God.
    ~ from The Kalevala (paraphrased)

Whom have I in heaven but You?
    And earth has nothing I desire besides You.

~ Psalm 73:25

Christ is risen from the dead,
    trampling on Death by death,
    And on those in the tombs,
    lavishing light.

Just An Ordinary Bloke, Doing Ordinary Things, In An Extraordinary World.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12