But I grew up and so did you
    And the giants disappeared.
    The alleyways were barred for good,
    Cos the knights are who we feared.

The hidey holes grew dark and grim
    And the fights were not with fingers
    But I swear that when I close my eyes
    That other world still lingers…
    Craft / Draft / Graft And Write To Entertain.

Hello,

I read this as a love story to a Grimsby that never existed for the speaker. It’s a world that only ever really existed in books, museums and the mind of a child. There is almost a yearning for what never was. I like this a lot.

There is a lyricality to the piece, built through a really well thought out and constructed piece.

I don’t think I have anything to add criticism wise. I just wanted to tell you why I liked it.

Cheers

Syd

Quote Originally Posted by 2020Syd2020 View Post
    Hello,

I read this as a love story to a Grimsby that never existed for the speaker. It’s a world that only ever really existed in books, museums and the mind of a child. There is almost a yearning for what never was. I like this a lot.

There is a lyricality to the piece, built through a really well thought out and constructed piece.

I don’t think I have anything to add criticism wise. I just wanted to tell you why I liked it.

Cheers

Syd
    Yeah, it's a romanticised view of Grimsby from the perspective of a child. But in essence, the scenes hold truth. That was what I was going for anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by TheMightyAz View Post
    Grimsby

You used to be a maze of wonder,
    Of wooden swords and knights on bikes,
    Of hidey holes and torchlight hunts,
    Of kick ball fly and finger fights.

You used to hold amazing secrets
    Down every empty alleyway;
    Whispered spells on salty winds
    That whisked me oh so far away.

You used to be a land of giants;
    Big-handed men with grins of kings,
    That pushed me with great gentleness
    On roundabouts or on the swings.

But I grew up and so did you
    And the giants disappeared.
    The alleyways were barred for good,
    Cos the knights are who we feared.

The hidey holes grew dark and grim
    And the fights were not with fingers
    But I swear that when I close my eyes
    That other world still lingers…
    Wow! You absolutely blew me away with this piece. The pace is lovely and the picture it paints is brilliant. And I think we can all relate to how real things still seem in our memories. Thank you so much for sharing! I think this is a masterpiece! Great Job!

-AnnieJay

Quote Originally Posted by AnnieJay View Post
    Wow! You absolutely blew me away with this piece. The pace is lovely and the picture it paints is brilliant. And I think we can all relate to how real things still seem in our memories. Thank you so much for sharing! I think this is a masterpiece! Great Job!

-AnnieJay
    Thank you very much

I remember Grimsby, my Great Uncle was manager of the last ever Yorkshire Penny Bank - Holidays in the 50s spent there, complete with, at low tide, a two mile wal to the sea walk at Cleethorpes, across a beach littered with dead jellyfish - Neither giant nor dragon in sight!
    Last edited by Bloggsworth; January 20th, 2021 at 10:06 PM.
    A man in possession of a wooden spoon must be in want of a pot to stir.

Quote Originally Posted by Bloggsworth View Post
    I remember Grimsby, my Great Uncle was manager of the last ever Yorkshire Penny Bank - Holidays in the 50s spent there, complete with, at low tide, a two mile to the sea walk across a beach littered with dead jellyfish - Neither giant nor dragon in sight!
    There are all sorts of exotic things littered on the beach now. Definitely no dragons though.

Quote Originally Posted by TheMightyAz View Post
    There are all sorts of exotic things littered on the beach now. Definitely no dragons though.
    You did it again! Lovely poem...made me want to visit this place...not the real one...the one in your memory before you grew up. Reminded me of Narnia (The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe). Very Lovely!