Martin Luther King Day(USA)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Martin Luther King Day(USA)

Martin Luther King Day(USA)

Noticed this on my UK calendar....what happens on this day to celebrate him...
    The only one who can heal you is you.

Mostly, people share the same three or four famous quotes of his on various social media platforms and pat themselves on the back for being woke.

Kids have the day off of school but it's not a holiday for businesses. My employer sent out a letter to all of us in remembrance of MLK and thanking us for helping people. It's a lot like any other remembrance day where some do more to remember than others, I think.

Blog Entries
    It’s about remembrance. The the healing and words they left behind to continue their mission long after they are gone. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	D4E91AD7-E33C-46FB-8C46-BA678553FB9D.jpg 
Views:	1 
Size:	45.9 KB 
ID:	26346
    Some girls are made of Supernova’s,Moonbeam dances ,Stardust sprinkles,Forest Witches and Crows Kisses ~ RR

Quote Originally Posted by Tiamat View Post
    Mostly, people share the same three or four famous quotes of his on various social media platforms and pat themselves on the back for being woke.
    Pretty much this.

I wish there were more traditions and really just any talk about him. Because usually it’s just a day off and you might not even hear his name. I usually talk about him with my kids and listen to his “If I had sneezed/I have been to the mountaintop” speech, which is my favorite speech of all time. I also post on media and pat myself in the back for being woke.

it’s still a controversial day off to my parents. They don’t want this holiday. I don’t know what their feelings were in the 60’s and 70’s but they make sour faces when people mention MLK. And me... I’m incredibly grateful for all he stood for and all that was accomplished. America is a weird place, what can I say? If anyone can frown at the mention of MLK and if others of us feel woke but our prisons are still filled with people of racial minorities and there are babies in cages who I haven’t heard anything about for months in the media....we’ve got a long ways to go. I do think it’s all really messed up.
    Last edited by Llyralen; January 18th, 2021 at 11:42 PM.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Tiamat View Post
    That is really jumping to a all around egotistical conclusion to say that ppl whom are sharing the same three or four quotes of his on social media platform are doing so to pat themselves on the back for being “woke”. Interesting how one would not look at it as sharing a inspiring message that could have a positive impact on someone’s life who will then turn around and have a positive impact an another’s life. This is how we make a step toward changing/shifting this world we live in. One positive motion forward at a time.
    Some girls are made of Supernova’s,Moonbeam dances ,Stardust sprinkles,Forest Witches and Crows Kisses ~ RR

local culture/history oriented eclectic theaters
    show films intended to prompt discussion.
    some artists, academics, students, families in attendance.

the emphasis for the day is education and active service,
    acknowledging and affirming those that struggle daily
    by providing supportive face to face encounters
    constructed to alleviate isolating/degrading aspects
    imposed by external systems
    suffered by real persons within the community.

invisible and diminished persons
    are embraced.

socially insulated persons
    encounter personal narratives
    which permit them
    to better understand
    how quickly
    giver and gifted
    roles reverse.

nah.
    not everyone participates.
    but many, many do.

blanket?
    socks?
    gift card?
    help with your resume?

be well,
    " I like it, but I don’t get it." - Megan WF April LM Challenge

"Hereby copyright for all things Xonian and Xxildurim is transferred to one named -xXx-" - Mish The Question Game 2458

"...intrusively poetic, robotic way of articulating thought." - Sycamore LM coffee shop 347

i wrote this:
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content
    and
    just in time
    for memorable holidays
    at a publication near you
    Hidden Content
    share it with someone you treasure
    *flash*
    Hidden Content

Thanks for the input....everyone
    The only one who can heal you is you.

Quote Originally Posted by River Rose View Post
    That is really jumping to a all around egotistical conclusion to say that ppl whom are sharing the same three or four quotes of his on social media platform are doing so to pat themselves on the back for being “woke”. Interesting how one would not look at it as sharing a inspiring message that could have a positive impact on someone’s life who will then turn around and have a positive impact an another’s life. This is how we make a step toward changing/shifting this world we live in. One positive motion forward at a time.
    All I'm saying is that my Facebook and Twitter feeds yesterday were full of his famous quotes--specifically the one you mentioned (which also made the email rounds at work), along with several references to the "I have a dream" speech. Didn't see a single reference to Dr. King's anti-capitalist quotes, of which there are many. Or any references to his condemnation of white moderates for remaining complacent and making excuses for injustice and preserving the status quo.

Maybe my observation is egotistical, and maybe your reasons for sharing the quote you chose to share were altruistic. However, the whole point of my original reply was to point out that most Americans don't actually observe MLK Day, beyond vague hand waving at a very small portion of Dr. King's legacy, and that a lot of the people--at least in my social media feeds--who shared those three or four famous quotes were also vehemently opposed to the BLM protests over the summer and think the idea of making Juneteenth a holiday is preposterous.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast